Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Nov 30, '13, 8:42 pm
Jerome22 Jerome22 is offline
New Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: January 25, 2012
Posts: 44
Religion: Catholic
Default Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

How, can the Mother of our Lord, collect writings of her time with the other disciples and Him during His ministry, and it not be divinely inspired?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Nov 30, '13, 8:48 pm
Mintaka Mintaka is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 6, 2005
Posts: 2,617
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

If the Virgin Mary had really written a gospel, I'm sure it would have been inspired.

However, some weirdish Gnostic text that didn't show up until 200 years after Christ's ascension, and which doesn't even pretend to be the kind of book that Mary would write? The only people who ever promoted it as real have been Gnostics, and a few bored college professors with time on their hands.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Nov 30, '13, 8:49 pm
TRH1292's Avatar
TRH1292 TRH1292 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: January 3, 2013
Posts: 1,347
Religion: One, Holy, Catholic, And Apostolic Church
Default Re: Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

Because she didn't write it. It's a heretical gnostic text.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Nov 30, '13, 8:51 pm
Jerome22 Jerome22 is offline
New Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: January 25, 2012
Posts: 44
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

Thanks y'all. I guess I should have done a little more research first...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Nov 30, '13, 10:06 pm
judynurse's Avatar
judynurse judynurse is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: June 24, 2013
Posts: 2,317
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

I think you must have run into a tv show or article about the Gnostic Gospel of Mary Magdalene. They never claimed it was written by Mary, the Blessed Virgin. However, it was not considered divinely inspired, and a couple of years ago a copy (supposedly ancient) showed up in Egypt (where the Gnostics had it) and according to this spurious "Gospel", Jesus made Mary Magdalene His chief apostle, and also the Teacher of His disciples, and Head of His Church, basically. They must have thought she had a great deal more authority than Peter!

However, the Gnostics were considered heretical, and their writings and beliefs to be not in accord with the teachings passed down by the Apostles or by St. Paul. Seems like the idea recurs periodically though. Mary, the Mother of Jesus, never wrote a Gospel, nor, as far as I know, has anyone (yet) claimed to have found such a writing, but no doubt someone will fake one up eventually! Be not disturbed. The Gospels and Scriptures approved by the Church are all we need, and were most carefully selected and determined to be faithful to the teachings of Christ and to be inspired by the Holy Spirit. We do not need to add any others.

The Gnostic beliefs, from what I have read or heard, were apparently of the opinion that those who were the most "intellectual" received inspiration directly from God, and therefore were the ones who could teach others, and no one else was able to reach their intellectual "plateau". (sort of prevented them from losing their authority, since obviously, by their own belief, no one else had the proper "mindset" and never would!)

Personally, I thank God constantly for the guiding hand of our Holy Catholic Church, or I'd have gone badly astray long ago!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Nov 30, '13, 10:49 pm
sirach2v4 sirach2v4 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 22, 2012
Posts: 870
Default Re: Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

I don't know that I've ever read any deeply boring book on the subject of inspiration and/or canonicity, but I have come to a certain realization about those topics.

You should keep in mind that something may be inspired, even if the Church did not consider it canonical, that is, suitable for use in the liturgy -- which is the question to which our Bible is the answer.

I've never heard of the Gospel of Mary. I've never studied that whole subject of what was considered to be canonical.

Obviously it didn't meet one or more early Church criteria for inclusion in the Bible.

The best example of some writing which IS inspired but NOT canonical, is the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Note, the CCC was issued with one or more errors in it, and what we are using now is the second edition of the CCC. So, that brings up another issue, the CCC is inspired but not inerrant, because it was written by men -- a committee no less.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Nov 30, '13, 11:20 pm
Fidelis Fidelis is offline
Veteran Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2004
Posts: 9,055
Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Default Re: Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirach2v4 View Post
You should keep in mind that something may be inspired, even if the Church did not consider it canonical...

...The best example of some writing which IS inspired but NOT canonical, is the Catechism of the Catholic Church...the CCC is inspired...
Both of these statements are in error and have no basis in Church teaching. Only Sacred Scripture is inspired, and all Sacred Scripture is canonical, that is, already included in the canon.
__________________
Please visit my Webpage!
Sunday Scripture Study For Catholics: Share the Good News!
SSSC Website: http://www.sundayscripturestudy.com/

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Dec 1, '13, 9:45 am
Contarini Contarini is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 4, 2004
Posts: 16,425
Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)
Default Re: Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome22 View Post
How, can the Mother of our Lord, collect writings of her time with the other disciples and Him during His ministry, and it not be divinely inspired?
The "Gospel of Mary" refers to St. Mary Magdalene, not the BVM, and there is no evidence supporting its authenticity. No historian seriously believes that the historical Mary Magdalene (much less the mother of Jesus) had anything to do with its authorship/editing.

Edwin
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Dec 1, '13, 4:38 pm
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 20,157
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirach2v4 View Post
I don't know that I've ever read any deeply boring book on the subject of inspiration and/or canonicity, but I have come to a certain realization about those topics.

You should keep in mind that something may be inspired, even if the Church did not consider it canonical, that is, suitable for use in the liturgy -- which is the question to which our Bible is the answer.

I've never heard of the Gospel of Mary. I've never studied that whole subject of what was considered to be canonical.

Obviously it didn't meet one or more early Church criteria for inclusion in the Bible.

The best example of some writing which IS inspired but NOT canonical, is the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Note, the CCC was issued with one or more errors in it, and what we are using now is the second edition of the CCC. So, that brings up another issue, the CCC is inspired but not inerrant, because it was written by men -- a committee no less.
Sorry but you are wrong. There are no inspired writings outside Sacred Scripture.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Dec 2, '13, 1:24 pm
mikeeh's Avatar
mikeeh mikeeh is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 26, 2013
Posts: 325
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome22 View Post
How, can the Mother of our Lord, collect writings of her time with the other disciples and Him during His ministry, and it not be divinely inspired?
Have you ever read it? It's actually referring to Mary Magdalene. And like many other "gospels" its style of writing is much different from the Canonical Gospels. While some of the writers of these other gospels had good intentions they often made Jesus look like a fictional character, like just another mythological story. They don't capture the Truth like the Canonical Gospels. Also, I hate that it's even called the Gospel of Mary, since its style sounds more like it should be called the Acts of Mary.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Dec 3, '13, 4:59 am
aidanbradypop's Avatar
aidanbradypop aidanbradypop is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: January 15, 2013
Posts: 2,965
Religion: Evangelical Free Church
Default Re: Why isn't the Gospel of Mary Divinely inspired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome22 View Post
How, can the Mother of our Lord, collect writings of her time with the other disciples and Him during His ministry, and it not be divinely inspired?
Because it came out well after the fact. Kind of like if you missed Monday at school and then brought a doctors note 200 yrs later lol.

The "lost" Gospels are a fun read if one keeps a perspective that they were written well after the fact.
__________________
Dustin

No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father. John 10:18
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8452Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: SueZee
5143CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3734Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3318Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3282Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3223Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3109For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: RevDrJBTDDPhD



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:23 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.