Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Nov 8, '05, 11:45 pm
rayne89's Avatar
rayne89 rayne89 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2004
Posts: 6,557
Religion: Catholic
Default Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

This is probably old news to some die hard metal fans but I guess I've been out of the loop. Through searching the internet a stumbled upon the fact that Dave Mustaine, the lead singer of Megedeth became a "born-again" Christian in 2002. In fact on Megedeths latest album he sings (in a very heavy metal way) the 23rd psalm. I though that was pretty cool.

Here's a quote talking about Dave's feelings on Satanic bands.

Dave Mustaine was reportedly willing to cancel Megadeth's Greek dates (to be more specific: wherever Rotting Christ are set to appear as support) due to his known dislike for black/death metal bands that depict religious issues in a negative light...

Dave Mustaine: Well, if they are on it, I certainly don't want to kick them off. We will just have to pass and play Greece another time or place. I have informed my management and they know what I feel.

I would post the link but I'm a little leary to because of the rather unchaste advertising that pops up along the side of the site.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Nov 12, '05, 5:34 pm
DJgang DJgang is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 9, 2005
Posts: 3,067
Religion: Catholic Convert 2008
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Wow Rayne, I did not know this about Dave.

I believe that he was the original singer for Metalliac, but was too WILD for them and they had to let him go...now that was before Megedeth.

I'll have to tell my DH about this.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Nov 12, '05, 7:01 pm
Flopfoot Flopfoot is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 19, 2005
Posts: 1,600
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

He was actually the original lead guitarist for Metallica... but he couldn't work well in the team... he created Megadeth partly out of spite, his main desire was to be better than Metallica one day... IMO he did not succeed.

"Born again" Christian? He may as well have stayed an atheist, or whatever he used to be. IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Nov 13, '05, 8:12 am
Valz Valz is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 22, 2005
Posts: 83
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

I am a huge fan of Megadeth, they are awesome. Mustain has been more or less a Christian way before 2001.


Valz
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Nov 13, '05, 10:04 am
rayne89's Avatar
rayne89 rayne89 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2004
Posts: 6,557
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopfoot
He was actually the original lead guitarist for Metallica... but he couldn't work well in the team... he created Megadeth partly out of spite, his main desire was to be better than Metallica one day... IMO he did not succeed.

"Born again" Christian? He may as well have stayed an atheist, or whatever he used to be. IMO.
Why would you say that? That seems uncharitable.

He's quit the drinking, the drugs and even if he doesn't have the fullness of the faith at least he's trying to follow Christ. I googled some interviews. He's not annoyingly fundementalist or anything. Most of the time he's says his beliefs are personal. His kids go to a Christian academy and his son plays guitar in a "praise and worship" band.

Just because you're not a fan of megedeth you shouldn't wish the guy goes to hell -sheesh. I'm certainly not a fan of Korn but I was glad when that guy bcame a Christian.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Nov 13, '05, 10:12 am
rayne89's Avatar
rayne89 rayne89 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2004
Posts: 6,557
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valz
I am a huge fan of Megadeth, they are awesome. Mustain has been more or less a Christian way before 2001.


Valz
Yeah I read it started in 97 when he his record producer told him he doesn't work on Sunday's because he goes to church with his family. Dave ended up going with him to church and that apparently started it. Although he says he's always believed in God. His mom was a JW.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Nov 13, '05, 10:48 am
deb1 deb1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 7, 2005
Posts: 7,108
Religion: RCIA
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne89
Why would you say that? That seems uncharitable.

He's quit the drinking, the drugs and even if he doesn't have the fullness of the faith at least he's trying to follow Christ. I googled some interviews. He's not annoyingly fundementalist or anything. Most of the time he's says his beliefs are personal. His kids go to a Christian academy and his son plays guitar in a "praise and worship" band.

Just because you're not a fan of megedeth you shouldn't wish the guy goes to hell -sheesh. I'm certainly not a fan of Korn but I was glad when that guy bcame a Christian.
I agree. Considering the background that Mustaine is coming from his change is pretty amazing. I am just happy that he is a Christian. Perhaps one day he will be led to the Catholic church.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Nov 13, '05, 12:54 pm
DJgang DJgang is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 9, 2005
Posts: 3,067
Religion: Catholic Convert 2008
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopfoot
He was actually the original lead guitarist for Metallica... but he couldn't work well in the team... he created Megadeth partly out of spite, his main desire was to be better than Metallica one day... IMO he did not succeed.
My bad...some "fan" I am! Ha!

Better than Metallica..have to agree...no way.

As for you last sentence, I deleted. Really don't know what you exactly meant.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Nov 13, '05, 2:09 pm
Lisa4Catholics Lisa4Catholics is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 23, 2004
Posts: 7,441
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics
Angry Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopfoot
He was actually the original lead guitarist for Metallica... but he couldn't work well in the team... he created Megadeth partly out of spite, his main desire was to be better than Metallica one day... IMO he did not succeed.

"Born again" Christian? He may as well have stayed an atheist, or whatever he used to be. IMO.
__________________
My mommy chihuahua Minnie.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Nov 13, '05, 5:01 pm
Valz Valz is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 22, 2005
Posts: 83
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Ooops
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Nov 13, '05, 9:01 pm
Flopfoot Flopfoot is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 19, 2005
Posts: 1,600
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Not saying that I want him to go to hell or anything like that.

Just saying that IMHO, born again Christian's beliefs are so far away from the truth sometimes... would have been better for him to become almost any other kind of Christian than a born again.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Nov 15, '05, 8:32 pm
alekzander alekzander is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 21, 2004
Posts: 184
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Yeah,most born -gains are anti-catholic and they believe in once saved always saved etc.But at least he recognizes Jesus as his savior...that's a start!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Nov 15, '05, 8:50 pm
Viki59 Viki59 is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 672
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Please don't let's leap to conclusions . . .I was born again, and I needed it.
God led me to the Catholic church later, but the experience that I can only describe as being born again was a real one, instigated by God in my lowest moment. He leads us step by step, and that's one of the most important steps to the fullness of the faith.


-
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Nov 15, '05, 9:25 pm
Darrel Darrel is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 4, 2005
Posts: 1,140
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopfoot
Not saying that I want him to go to hell or anything like that.

Just saying that IMHO, born again Christian's beliefs are so far away from the truth sometimes... would have been better for him to become almost any other kind of Christian than a born again.
I was a born again Christian for over 20 years before I started to become Catholic less than one year ago. With all Charity I must tell you I do not agree with your overall view here. Protestants can have a great deal to bring to the Catholic table. I think Mustaine would make a great Catholic. I never became Catholic because I found Jesus. I became Catholic because he revealed himself to me in the blessed sacrament. I already knew him but he decided the timing of it. Hopefully the same will happen with Dave Mustaine. We should pray for him.


-D
__________________
Justice is trampled underfoot by weakness, cowardice and fear of the diktat of the ruling mindset. Evil draws its power from indecision and concern for what other people think.
Joseph Ratzinger
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Nov 15, '05, 10:42 pm
rayne89's Avatar
rayne89 rayne89 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2004
Posts: 6,557
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Megedeth lead singer Christian convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel
I was a born again Christian for over 20 years before I started to become Catholic less than one year ago. With all Charity I must tell you I do not agree with your overall view here. Protestants can have a great deal to bring to the Catholic table. I think Mustaine would make a great Catholic. I never became Catholic because I found Jesus. I became Catholic because he revealed himself to me in the blessed sacrament. I already knew him but he decided the timing of it. Hopefully the same will happen with Dave Mustaine. We should pray for him.


-D
Amen!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8569Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5241CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3894Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3876SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3462Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3318Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3171For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: eschator83



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:32 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.