Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 7, '13, 4:08 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Questions about Eucharistic Adoration

I have never been to Eucharistic Adoration before, and I have a few questions:
  1. Do I need to be signed up in order to go? Or may I go anytime?
  2. If I am able to come in without being scheduled, is it necessary that I stay a whole hour? I'm certainly not saying I wouldn't want to do this, but I'm wondering if I would be prevented from going if I was for some reason unable to stay a whole hour
  3. Outside the Perpetual Adoration chapel at my parish, they have a sign about using the first 20 minutes to pray the Rosary, the second 20 minutes for private prayers, etc. My uinderstanding, from what I've read, is that there isn't a specificprayer or prayers that are mandated during Adoration. Maybe I'm mistaken? This is also why I don't think I'd be permitted to come for less than an hour.

I wanted to go today after confession, but I just hung out in front of the chapel for a while and didn't work up the courage to go in. I was afraid of offending Jesus or the other adorers if I did something incorrectly.
Old Dec 7, '13, 4:24 pm

Default Re: Questions about Eucharistic Adoration

oh by all means you should go. it is a beautiful experience.

no you dont need to be signed up to go, anyone can go whenever it is open. ours is open 24 hours.

you can stay as long as you want, sometimes i only have time to run in for 15 or 20 minutes but i do enjoy staying longer when i can.

there is nothing set in stone as to what you pray or do in there. i say the rosary or pray if i have something troubling me, one day i took my book on Eucharistic Miracles and read. sometimes i try not to pray, i just look at our Lord and let him do the talking, i usually need tissues on those days...

Go, experience. God Bless
Old Dec 7, '13, 6:25 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: moving in a Catholic direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artc View Post
I have never been to Eucharistic Adoration before, and I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to be signed up in order to go? Or may I go anytime?
You may want to check with a specific group to be sure, but in my limited experience, I haven't heard of a reasonably public group where everyone who wishes to adore must have registered or otherwise announced their intention in advance.

Because of security precautions, though, you may or may not be able to go "anytime" if you're thinking of going late at night or at other presumably odd hours.

Quote:
2. If I am able to come in without being scheduled, is it necessary that I stay a whole hour? I'm certainly not saying I wouldn't want to do this, but I'm wondering if I would be prevented from going if I was for some reason unable to stay a whole hour
You may want to check, but I've never heard of the practice of requiring a full hour from unscheduled adorers. A particular group may have such a rule, for some reason, but I wouldn't know why one would.

Quote:
3. Outside the Perpetual Adoration chapel at my parish, they have a sign about using the first 20 minutes to pray the Rosary, the second 20 minutes for private prayers, etc. My uinderstanding, from what I've read, is that there isn't a specificprayer or prayers that are mandated during Adoration. Maybe I'm mistaken? This is also why I don't think I'd be permitted to come for less than an hour.
Without having seen such a similar sign, I'd guess that it presents a suggested order.

In general, my understanding is your understanding: different pious activities are allowed, and no requirement exists for everyone inside to be doing the same thing at the same time (not everyone inside at the same time has to be doing the same thing; not everyone who comes throughout the day has to follow the same devotional schedule, repeating hour after hour).

You may want to check if the sign does present a rule for how everyone should pray there--but if it does, I'd like to know how it's supposed to be enforced! Neither is it a mandate from God or the Church at large that all Holy Hours follow the same format.
Old Dec 7, '13, 7:27 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
[list=1][*]Do I need to be signed up in order to go? Or may I go anytime?
Anytime the Church building is physically open. Our Lord need not be exposed in the monstrance. If the candle near the Tabernacle is lit, our Lord is present, and knows that you are present to Him. Go and spend time before the Tabernacle - the exact same spiritual benefits accrue. It does help many to go during adoration, so that they can perceive what formerly was bread and see their Savior, versus seeing their Savior and thinking only bread.
Quote:
[*]If I am able to come in without being scheduled, is it necessary that I stay a whole hour?
No! Some come in, make the sign of the cross, and leave. The amount of time you spend with your Lord should reflect your love of him.
Quote:
I'm certainly not saying I wouldn't want to do this, but I'm wondering if I would be prevented from going if I was for some reason unable to stay a whole hour
He will welcome you for as long or as short as you desire. He loves to be with you.
Quote:
[*]Outside the Perpetual Adoration chapel at my parish, they have a sign about using the first 20 minutes to pray the Rosary, the second 20 minutes for private prayers, etc. My uinderstanding, from what I've read, is that there isn't a specificprayer or prayers that are mandated during Adoration. Maybe I'm mistaken?
That is a mere suggestion. According to Francis Cardinal Arinze in his book Celebrating the Holy Eucharist, God is due five things from the faithful. In their proper order:

1. Adoration
2. Praise
3. Thanksgiving
4. Propitiation for our sins
5. Petition for our needs.

And, why remain only an hour? I feel like an hour is just popping in and out. He is there for your adoration. You need not say or pray a single thing.
Quote:
This is also why I don't think I'd be permitted to come for less than an hour.
Don't sign up - just go. All Catholics, non-Catholics, non-Christians, atheists - are welcome to spend time with Jesus Christ. He is the Savior of the world, after all!
Quote:
I wanted to go today after confession, but I just hung out in front of the chapel for a while and didn't work up the courage to go in. I was afraid of offending Jesus or the other adorers if I did something incorrectly.
Just go in, genuflect (upon entering and before leaving) as you would if Jesus were standing there (because He is), and have a seat. Simple.

Sit and gaze upon Him. Read scripture. Pray. Cry.

Just turn your cell phone's ringer (yes, even the vibrate) off and keep silence, as you would if our Lord were addressing others. You will see and hear others making noise, conversing, answering texts and other odd things. This is an opportunity to offer prayer for them - that they may be so awe-struck by our Savior's presence that they are speechless! I keep in mind that I am coming into the presence of Greatness, and that He is not only my Savior, but also my Judge. I keep that firmly in mind as I approach the Chapel.

And what a grace from God that you are attracted to our Lord at adoration!
Old Dec 7, '13, 10:40 pm

Religion: catholic

Just go in to be with your King ! Even if it is for a few minutes. If you sign up for the scheduled time then I guess you are required to stay for that time. DH & self go in the wee hrs of the morning. Our parish has the chapel open only 2 days a week but another parish has it open 24hrs so we drive further away, only to visit for 10 mins, sometimes more. Don't be afraid, or embarrassed for any reason. The only thing I'd advise, is genuflect on both knees when you enter and leave. Show the utmost reverence when in the chapel. Once inside, this is your time with your Lord, your friend, your king.
When you go to meet someone you love, sometimes you'd plan what you're going to do, sometimes its spontaneous. So do whatever feels right. You can pray, or say the rosary, or adore, praise, thank, or just have a conversation with HIM. Maybe just keep HIM company. Your chapel has only made a recommendation, about praying the rosary. I think you gain indulgences if the rosary is said before the Bl Sacrament.
(Still further: In the papal Constitution "Indulgentiarum Doctrina" , of January 1, 1967, there is provided a plenary indulgence for reciting the Rosary before the Blessed Sacramentóno distinction made of whether that Sacrament is or is not exposed.)
Old Dec 8, '13, 8:06 am

I agree with much of what is above. Go without an appointment. Stay as long or short as is right for you. Those are suggestions.. It does help when you are first trying to pray for the whole hour to break it up. Later you won't need it '

I will say if you can please do sign up for an hour. It isn't always easy to keep the slots filled and they need to be to keep the Adoration going. Dont worry if your schedule is not regular enough but I do encourage it
and of course if you do sign up for an hour that doesn't mean that is the only time you can go.
Old Dec 8, '13, 8:52 am

The few places that have perpetual adoration have sign in sheets for both the scheduled adorers and those who come when they are able to do so. I do not always sign in as I come when I am able to do so. There are no signs saying you have to do certain things but the chapels have plenty of reading materials (bibles, prayer books etc) and rosaries for those who need to use them during their visit.
Old Dec 8, '13, 2:51 pm

Religion: Converting to Roman Catholic

I just signed up for an hour a week at my parish's Adoration Chapel. You are free to come anytime (the Chapel is open 24/7). There is an intercom and bell -- you just push the button and someone comes down to let you in.

You don't have to DO anything. I like to sit there and just contemplate Him -- it's like sitting in warm, comforting sunshine. The only rule is silence, so that you don't disturb other participants.

If you can, do consider signing up for a regular hour -- I know my parish is looking for more volunteers for Adoration.
Old Dec 10, '13, 1:51 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

When I went after confession I was unaware of any restrictions. If I could Iíd abide in His presence every second time permits. My prayer was about penance. Iíve read that spriritual communion prayer is a must. Mass for me is enough. Yet anytime Jesus is in the same room with you, is heaven on earth. Even better would be to take our Lord for a ride to souls in assisted living and nursing homes, as a Eucharist Minister. I donít know if I could keep my eyes on the road. But thatís what Angel Guardian is for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89JrK...4I&app=desktop
Old Dec 10, '13, 7:12 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I have never signed up, but I am there almost every morning, except during Dec. when I have to be at work because I work retail. I am also there on Sunday nights while my son is at Life Teen - it's a good place to pass the time! Sometimes I take my Secular Discalced Carmelite homework with me. I just finished 33 Days to Morning Glory for part of my adoration time. Sometimes I just sit. Sometimes I pray the Rosary and just sit. Sometimes I sleep. I don't mean to, but I do. I figure if St. Terese of Liseaux did, I can. She certainly turned out ok! Being there is more important that what you do while you are there.
Kris

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments