Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 10, '05, 11:27 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Do Jewish people hate Christians?

I wasn't sure where to post this. I always thought that Jewish people didn't believe Jesus was the messiah but they believed he was a good prophet.

I was on a different board talking about something completely unrelated to religion when the topic of Jewish people came up and I asked the question about them believe that Jesus was a prophet and the Jewish lady replied with "No, he was just some jerk."

Ouch! I always figured that since Jesus was a Jew, that Jews and Catholics were pals. Am I wrong?
Christopher
Old Nov 10, '05, 11:37 am

Default Re: Do Jewish people hate Christians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtech
I wasn't sure where to post this. I always thought that Jewish people didn't believe Jesus was the messiah but they believed he was a good prophet.

I was on a different board talking about something completely unrelated to religion when the topic of Jewish people came up and I asked the question about them believe that Jesus was a prophet and the Jewish lady replied with "No, he was just some jerk."

Ouch! I always figured that since Jesus was a Jew, that Jews and Catholics were pals. Am I wrong?
I don't think Jews think Jesus was a prophet at all. Maybe some might think he was a rabbi.

Generalities arenít too good anyway. The actions of one gal canít express the sentiments of all.
The Epistle of St. Paul to the Churches of Galatia 5:25, 26
If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us have no self-conceit,
no provoking of one another, no envy of one another.

Old Nov 10, '05, 2:32 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I grew up in a town that was about 1/3 Jewish and went to school with many Jewish kids.
We all got along great. My best friend from 8th to 10th grade was a Jewish girl with whom I went to their community center and had sleep overs.
I never encountered any predjudice against non Jews.
Old Nov 10, '05, 2:37 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus

In fact, A Jewish man heads up Christmas Kids in our metro area...its making sure those in foster care have Christmas, too.

Hospitals are often staff by Jewish folks so Christians have Christmas off....
Old Nov 10, '05, 3:17 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtech

Was this gal quite young? That might explain it--a lot of young people today have no sense of propriety and even less knowledge of history. I wouldn't take such a remark as reflecting the views of all Jews, that's for sure.

At one time in this country the Jews and the Catholics were both persona non grata. Both groups were persecuted and denied employment and a place in the American dream. But, both helped each other out in the entertainment business, a relationship which went to Hollywood with them. That's why we got so many great Catholic films made by Jewish studio owners and directors.

But, as time went on and others with no such ties came into power in the entertainment industry, it turned hostile towards Catholics, once again. Jews, however, were seen and are still seen as a victim people so they are still treated in film as the underdog, while Catholics are now portrayed as uptight prudes and the priesthood as raving maniacs or greedy cold-hearted monsters.

It's no wonder anyone younger than 30, who grew up seeing Catholics and priests in that light can be rude enough to make the kind of comment the gal on that discussion board made and no one will upbraid her for it, either.
Old Nov 10, '05, 3:24 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Karin

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
I grew up in a town that was about 1/3 Jewish and went to school with many Jewish kids.
We all got along great. My best friend from 8th to 10th grade was a Jewish girl with whom I went to their community center and had sleep overs.
I think the difference is that these kids (jews) where not orthodox Jews...that is why there really was no issue.
I live and grew up in a town that is predominatly 1/2 Jewish (Orthodox) and there are issues between Jews and non-Jews. The orthodox do not send their kids to public schools they do not associate socially with non-jews etc.
Old Nov 10, '05, 3:27 pm

Question Re: Do Jewish people hate Christians?

I think it's like anything else, some do and some don't. I live in Los Angeles and we have some Hasidic Jews. On of my Jewish friends said, referring to them "they don't even like us" meaning other Jews who weren't so strict. I'm suppossing that they think we are misled but wonder what they think about our relationship to God. Anybody know?
Old Nov 10, '05, 4:06 pm

Send a message via MSN to bones_IV Send a message via Yahoo to bones_IV

Michael Medved is an orthodox jew and he's associates with non-jews. I think he's cool.
Old Nov 10, '05, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_IV
Michael Medved is an orthodox jew and he's associates with non-jews. I think he's cool.
I used to listen to him on the radio in Cleveland but the constant arguing got to me so I listen to Ave Marie radio on the internet. I also like Michael Medved who is friends with Father Mitch Pacwa of EWTN. Now Dennis Prager has in my opinion a bias towards Catholics but not towards Christians.
Old Nov 10, '05, 5:18 pm

Question Re: Do Jewish people hate Christians?

Is being an Orthodox Jew the same as being a Hasidic Jew?
Old Nov 10, '05, 5:25 pm

I don't think you can generalize about any sub-group of people. There is always the usual diversity within groups. Individual Jews, Catholics, Blacks, Moslems are just that, individuals with different strengths, weaknesses, prejudices, and temperments.

Proverbs 15:25
"To make an apt answer is a joy to a man, and a word in season, how good it is!"

<<<<<>>>>>
Old Nov 10, '05, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda
I think it's like anything else, some do and some don't. I live in Los Angeles and we have some Hasidic Jews. On of my Jewish friends said, referring to them "they don't even like us" meaning other Jews who weren't so strict. I'm suppossing that they think we are misled but wonder what they think about our relationship to God. Anybody know?
I lived amongst a group of Lubavitch Chassidim for about three months and found them to be extremely bright, extremely personable, extremely giving, loving, and caring people as a rule. I admit that I was really there to listen so as to learn and not to proselytize at all and while I did hear criticism of other Jews who did not live by the commandments of God, I never heard criticism of Christians (in one sense, perhaps, as we are gentiles we don't 'matter' as much as those who are born as God's Chosen).

If the very orthodox, such as the Chassidim, "hate" Christians I was never aware of it and I was a Christian in the midst of day-to-day life. I can understand to a degree, though, what your friend was saying - the very orthodox do hold other Jews to the same high standards to which they feel God is calling them to hold.

The only possible anti-Christian rhetoric that I can recall hearing from any single group of Jews might be on the other spectrum - those 'secular Zionists' who have a suspicion of why the evangelical right of America are such strong supporters of the Israeli state. In one aspect I do believe that they are grateful for the support of America, particularly during the current administration where we've not had a policy of trying to be peace brokers in the region but have continued and increased support on so many levels. But although they may have some distrust of American Christians I don't think you'd hear the word 'hate' spoken aloud, at least.

And as we Christians have a fairly poor historical record, once having achieved some political dominance and so quickly moving distancing ourselves from our Jewish roots I'm rather surprised that there aren't more factions of Judaism who are overtly anti-Christian and who might be more liable to issue statements in which hate for Christians is not a part of the agenda.

My personal baggage is hard to let go (and I'll not even attempt a defense, here): anti-Zionist, pro-Islamic & Palestinian, pro-Jewish orthodoxy (most of whom began, and many remain, anti-Zionist), and personally an orthodox Catholic. I've yet to meet a Muslim or a Jew who genuinely hates Christians in the same manner that Christians have seemed to hate these two other common religions over the centuries. I am certain that I have been disliked, even hated, by some secular Jews because of my anti-Zionist beliefs, in addition to orthodox Jews because of my pro-Palestinian beliefs but never have I felt hated because of my Christianity. Not even when I've lost Jewish friends over the issues.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions