Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 21, '13, 9:16 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Trouble with Joshua and the Sun

Alright so I have been reading a lot about people having issues with Joshua and his prayer that made the sun stand still for about a day.

The passage is found in Joshua 10:12-13

it says:

Then Joshua spoke to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the sons of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, "O sun, stand still at Gibeon, And O moon in the valley of Aijalon."

So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, Until the nation avenged themselves of their enemies. Is it not written in the book of Jashar? And the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day.

How are we supposed to interpret this passage?

Are we supposed to really believe that the ACTUAL sun stood still in the middle of the sky for an extra 12-24 hours?

I'll admit this is a little hard to understand, and I want to know what I should know about this passage.
Old Dec 21, '13, 10:03 pm

Default Re: Trouble with Joshua and the Sun

Update:

Something didn't quite seem right to me about this whole thing.

It's not that I don't believe that God could in fact cause these things to happen where the physical sun would stand still, it's just that in the context of the passage being a battle story I seem to stray towards it being an exaggeration of what really happened. A glorification of the battle.

So as I researched and read more about it, I started to find out more about this "Book of Jashar". Apparently, this book of Jashar(er) was a book which contained nationalistic poems and songs detailing historic jewish events, such as the battle. Apparently Joshua 10:12-14 is taking directly from this long lost book of poems and songs in describing the events of the battle.

The whole Joshua causing the sun and moon to stand still is poetic in nature. I do believe that the battle really happened, and I do believe that given that there was a reference to a terrible hail storm, some weather stuff happened, and perhaps once the skies cleared up and they saw the sun and moon they rejoiced in this omen.

That's just my take on it, but it seems obvious that the sun standing still, and moon standing still are poetic in nature. Such as when one says "I would move mountains to be with you".
Old Dec 21, '13, 10:08 pm

Religion: Almost Catholic...

And of course, there's the classic question. Was the Sun standing still because it stopped its revolution around the Earth? Or was the Earth standing still? Or is that heresy?
I would say there has been quite a bit of trouble with Joshua and the Sun. LOL
Old Dec 22, '13, 12:40 am
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

We can't really know.

After all, no other nation has an account of a long day, or night, corresponding to this event.

ITASM, the important thing to take from this is God could do this if He chose to, and that He can move even physical barriers to meet the needs of those who trust in Him.

A much bigger meaning than an abstruse astronomical explanation for an event that may not even have occurred as described.

ICXC NIKA.
Old Dec 22, '13, 3:41 am

Religion: Roman Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernica15 View Post
... but it seems obvious that the sun standing still, and moon standing still are poetic in nature. Such as when one says "I would move mountains to be with you".
Agreed. Do we not say...

The sun rises in the East and sets in the West. The sun comes up; the sun goes down.
Old Dec 22, '13, 8:21 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

The 1869 Haydock Scripture Commentary has quite a lot to say about this--too much to reproduce here-- but you can see it here;

Haydock Commentary on Joshua, Chapter 10

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Old Dec 23, '13, 7:59 pm

Religion: catholic

If we say that this episode of the sun and moon was something other than a miracle, then what are we to say of Moses when there was a battle and the sun also stopped in the sky?

And I know that some don't believe in private apparitions, but those that do, what happened at Fatima when the sun spun around and did a dance?

I don't know if any of these events really did happen. But if they didn't then something else seems to have happened to make it seem like these events really happened. Like making men's minds see this without it actually happening.

In any case, unless there is some concrete evidence contray to these events happening, is there any other course but just accept them as they stand?

It just seems that too many times these events are explained away in a more unbelievable way than the miracle itself.
Old Dec 24, '13, 8:40 am

One thing that I come to accept is that God has done miracles. I have also learned that giving Scripture the benefit of the doubt is a case where you cannot go wrong, but on the flip side being doubtful and assuming that the Bible is full of myths, errors, and contradictions is harmful because in my opinion it weakens faith in the authenticity of Christianity. If the Bible records something historical and it does not match up exactly with what historians have chronicled, then I am going to assume that the historians are the ones who are in error, whether its Josephus or some arrogant college history professor. History is always being revised and developed, and it usually comes full circle and eventually shows that the Bible was right all along after the Bible has been laughed at and criticized. As for the idea that other cultures did not write about certain events that are mentioned in Scripture such as the sun standing still, that is not strong evidence against it because that was SO long ago that first of all, journaling events was not something everyone did, and the fact that it happened many thousands of years ago, only a fraction of a percent of what was ever journaled has stood the test of time. If someone did write it down, the chances that it was preserved is highly unlikely, locations and their climates eliminates most of what has ever been written, along with wars, erosion, or being lost forever.
Old Dec 25, '13, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernica15 View Post
. . . Then Joshua spoke to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the sons of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, "O sun, stand still at Gibeon, And O moon in the valley of Aijalon."
So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, Until the nation avenged themselves of their enemies. Is it not written in the book of Jashar? And the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day.
. . . .
I don't have much interest in battles won or lost thousands of years ago.
I read scripture because it helps us understand and develop a deeper relationship with God.
These words describe what took place during times of war. A miracle occurs making clear to His people then and now that God is on our side. He wants what is best for us. He wants us to conquer our enemy, sin. He will go so far as to influence our circumstances in very important and extraordinary ways, to help us eradicate evil.
Personally speaking, what actually happened so long ago with so little collateral support about anything that occurred, is not important. It happened something like what is described, obviously remarkable and having significant meaning throughout the ages.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture