Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 24, '13, 1:36 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Is being a virgin something to be proud about ?

Is being a virgin something to be proud about when you have gone beyond 30 years of age? I'm still looking for a spouse. I believe in waiting till I am married, but is it something to be proud of and keep sacred?
Old Dec 24, '13, 2:29 pm

Default Re: Is being a virgin something to be proud about ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmqs View Post
Is being a virgin something to be proud about when you have gone beyond 30 years of age? I'm still looking for a spouse. I believe in waiting till I am married, but is it something to be proud of and keep sacred?
Yes... Be proud! Anyone who is not married should be proud to be virgin.
Old Dec 24, '13, 2:29 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic ☦

It means you have held true to your beliefs, so yes, I think it's something of which you can be proud.

Cancer Prayer and Support Group
Old Dec 24, '13, 2:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I'm sure your future spouse will believe so.
Proud to be honest, proud to be pure, proud to value yourself?
I say you bet!
My husband was a virgin when I married him at mid-life. I applaud him for that. All is well.
Lots of practice does not a marriage make.
Old Dec 24, '13, 2:31 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

Yes. You are doing the right thing. May God guide you to a spouse.

Peace,
Ed
Old Dec 24, '13, 2:40 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic revert

Quote:
YES and YES!

I heard that saints who have been virgins their entire lives receive a CROWN in heaven for preserving their virginity! Some who have been both martyred and virgins receive a double crown!

Further, the Bible tells us in several places that fornication is not pleasing to Our Lord. It's against the 10 commandments.

Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes* nor sodomites
nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Corinthians: 6:10-11.

Also, the Catechism of the Catholic Church says:

Scroll down to 2353:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p3s2c2a6.htm

Lastly, even if one isn't Catholic, doesn't believe in the Bible or Catechism, there are a lot of practical reasons to wait. Well, why would one buy the milk if he can have the milk for free?

Further, one risks sexually-transmitted diseases, unwanted pregnancy, and losing the ability to give to one's spouse something that is rightfully his, in the ideal,...virginity.

Pope John Paul II said "Only a chaste man and chaste woman are capable of true love".

Saints on purity:
http://whitelilyoftrinity.com/saints_quotes_purity.html

Sexuality is a gift to us. We are made in the divine image, the image of God, are temples of the Holy Spirit. The sexual act is very special, and marriage is a sacrament, holy.

I know nowadays virginity is viewed as abnormal. It used to be the norm, before birth control and such.

Also, congratulations for conserving your virginity thus far!

I hope you will keep this gift for your true love, your husband, and not give it prematurely to anyone else. A lot of people say they are "engaged", will get married and say that's license to have sex. I wish I had a dime for everytime I also heard that one. Often, this will prolong a sexual relationship, indefinitely for years, that has no intention of ever going to marriage.

No, please conserve your virginity and give it to your husband. I also hope you marry someone who will treasure this gift!

God bless!

http://www.comepraytherosary.org/

Last edited by ClearWater; Dec 24, '13 at 2:41 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 24, '13, 2:46 pm

Religion: Rom Cath and Tib Budd

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisgood77 View Post
Yes... Be proud! Anyone who is not married should be proud to be virgin.
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't be proud or ashamed. I would keep such things to myself. It's really no one's business. But that's just me though It's your personal business and you and your future spouse if you're lucky enough to get one. I lost my virginity before I came into the church and your really not missing anything. I haven't been sexually active since and it's over for me. I am waiting for marriage too. Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 24, '13, 2:47 pm

Religion: Proud to be Catholic!!!

If you are doing it for the Lord, then it something you should be proud of. Our bodies is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Chastity and modesty are virtues which are pleasing to the Lord. Merry Christmas
Old Dec 24, '13, 2:51 pm

Religion: Rom Cath and Tib Budd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayita30 View Post
If you are doing it for the Lord, then it something you should be proud of. Our bodies is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Chastity and modesty are virtues which are pleasing to the Lord. Merry Christmas
Yes I would agree to that between one and the Lord. But I would respond to someone asking me if I'm a virgin that it's none of their business.
Old Dec 24, '13, 2:58 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic revert

I have seen some threads by virgins who have waited till later life, lost their virginity only to get dumped! They seemed to REALLY regret it!

http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Dec 24, '13, 2:59 pm

Yes. But like any covenant with God, don't share this with people who don't value your faith. Society is trying to break down and mock virginity as it breaks down and mocks other Christian virtues. Be proud of your integrity with God but don't be too haughty or too insecure. God bless you.
Old Dec 24, '13, 3:06 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Yes, it is something to be proud of as one type of evidence of chastity.
Old Dec 24, '13, 3:21 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNY View Post
It means you have held true to your beliefs, so yes, I think it's something of which you can be proud.

Ditto.....
Old Dec 24, '13, 3:53 pm

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Acquiring the Holy Spirit

(from the Saint's Conversation with Motovilov)

The true goal of our Christian life consists of acquiring God’s Holy Spirit. Fasting and vigil, prayer, mercy, and every other good deed performed for Christ — are means for acquiring the Holy Spirit of God. Only deeds performed for Christ give us the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Some say that the foolish virgins lacking enough oil in their lamps is meant to be understood as a lack of good deeds (see Mt. 25:1-12). Such an understanding is not completely correct. How could there have been a lack of good deeds when they, though foolish, are still called virgins? For virginity is the highest virtue, as a state equal to the angels, and could by itself serve in place of all other virtues. I, the wretched, think that they did not have enough of the grace of the All-Holy Spirit of God. These virgins, because of their spiritual injudiciousness, supposed in performing good deeds that it is only necessary to do good works to be a Christian: "We performed a good deed and thus did God’s will." Whether or not they had received the grace of the Holy Spirit, whether they had attained it, they did not even bother to find out ... But, this acquiring of the Holy Spirit is in fact that oil which the foolish virgins lacked. They are called foolish because they forgot about the essential fruit of virtue — the grace of the Holy Spirit — without which there is no salvation for anyone and cannot be. For "through the Holy Spirit every soul is quickened, and through its purification, it is exalted and illumined by the Triune Unity in a Holy mystery." The Holy Spirit Himself settles in our souls, and this occupation of our souls by Him, the All-Ruling, and this coexistence of our spirit with His One Trinity, is granted only through the diligent acquiring, on our part, of the Holy Spirit, which prepares, in our soul and body, the throne for the coexistence of God the All-Creator with our spirit, by the immutable word of God: "And I will walk among you and will be your God, and ye shall be my people" (Lev. 26:12).

This is the very oil in the lamps of the wise virgins, which burned brightly and steadily; the virgins with these burning lamps could await the Groom coming at midnight, and enter the chamber of joy with him. The foolish ones, seeing their lamps going out, though they went to the market to buy oil, did not manage to return in time, for the doors were already locked. The market is our life; the doors of the bridal chamber — locked and not permitting entrance to the Groom — human death, the virgins wise and foolish, Christian souls; the oil, not deeds, but the grace of the All Holy Spirit of God received through them, transforming from decay to incorruption, from emotional death into spiritual life, from darkness to light, from the manger of our existence, where our passions are tied like beasts and animals, into a church of God, into the all-lighted chamber of eternal joy in Jesus Christ.

Peace
Old Dec 24, '13, 3:58 pm

Quote:
"Proud" isn't the word for it. They should be glad about it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life