Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 14, '05, 11:49 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic (Latin & Byzantine Rites)
Default Use of Chalice Pall, Veil, Burse & Paten?

I'm curious, do your priests make use of the chalice pall (fabric covered square used to cover the chalice), veil, and burse [storage unit for chalice pall, corporal and purificator(s)] during Mass these days?

Does your parish use a ciborium veil?

Also, do all of your priests still use the paten, one of the sacred vessels? I was setting-up for a Mass and I asked the celebrant (a new parochial vicar) if he wanted to use the paten (most priests around here will actually set it aside during the Mass.) His face brightened considerably and he said "of course!" That was cool...
Old Nov 15, '05, 8:32 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic
Default Re: Use of Chalice Pall, Veil, Burse & Paten?

All of our priests use a paten during mass. Only one priest still uses the full veil.
Old Nov 15, '05, 8:42 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltarMan
I'm curious, do your priests make use of the chalice pall (fabric covered square used to cover the chalice), veil, and burse [storage unit for chalice pall, corporal and purificator(s)] during Mass these days?

Does your parish use a ciborium veil?

Also, do all of your priests still use the paten, one of the sacred vessels? I was setting-up for a Mass and I asked the celebrant (a new parochial vicar) if he wanted to use the paten (most priests around here will actually set it aside during the Mass.) His face brightened considerably and he said "of course!" That was cool...
That is cool!
At our parish, it is all of the above.
Old Nov 15, '05, 9:18 am
Banned

Most of the priests around here like to take the "big host" directly from the big gold tub that's processed up by members of the laity while the altar is being dressed.

It's wrong that they discount the paten, after all it's one of the sacred vessels. Our new parochial vicar simply takes the big host from the tub and places it on the paten so it too is one of the "processed gifts."

Junking the paten is the exact sort of thing that demeans the Mass.
Old Nov 15, '05, 2:18 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltarMan
Most of the priests around here like to take the "big host" directly from the big gold tub that's processed up by members of the laity while the altar is being dressed.

It's wrong that they discount the paten, after all it's one of the sacred vessels. Our new parochial vicar simply takes the big host from the tub and places it on the paten so it too is one of the "processed gifts."

Junking the paten is the exact sort of thing that demeans the Mass.
I think that any sacred vessel (and in some places that is a very loose use of the term) used to hold hosts but without a lid is considered a paten. My parish recently got some vessels listed as "host dishes" and my priest told me that if it's not a ciborium, it's a paten. Anyone with actual knowledge of the subject can correct me.
Old Nov 15, '05, 2:48 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Brain Send a message via AIM to Brain

techniccalities. They know what you mean by a paten.
Old Nov 15, '05, 4:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Hofer
I think that any sacred vessel (and in some places that is a very loose use of the term) used to hold hosts but without a lid is considered a paten. My parish recently got some vessels listed as "host dishes" and my priest told me that if it's not a ciborium, it's a paten. Anyone with actual knowledge of the subject can correct me.
I have never seen a paten for sale that was advertised as a "host dish", nor have I seen a "host dish" listed as a sacred vessel. From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

"The eucharistic vessel known as the paten is a small shallow plate or disc of precious metal upon which the element of bread is offered to God at the Offertory of the Mass, and upon which the consecrated Host is again placed after the Fraction. The word paten comes from a Latin form patina or patena, evidently imitated from the Greek patane. It seems from the beginning to have been used to denote a flat open vessel of the nature of a plate or dish. Such vessels in the first centuries were used in the service of the altar, and probably served to collect the offerings of bread made by the faithful and also to distribute the consecrated fragments which, after the loaf had been broken by the celebrant, were brought down to the communicants, who in their own hands received each a portion from the patina."

The chalice and the paten ARE the sacred vessels in the Latin Rite of the Church -- no "looseness" to it. (I may be wrong, but I don't believe a ciborium is even a sacred vessel, although it is certainly an altar vessel.)

I believe they are known as a"diskos" (disk) in some of the Eastern Catholic Churches. I can just imagine the look on an Eastern Rite Catholic priest if you referred to the diskos as a "host dish" -- Lord have mercy.

Sadly many priests (like many at my parish) dispense with the paten as if it were not a sacred vessel and that's horribly sad. Then again, up until a few years ago, we were using wine stemware (and glass sundae dishes in place of correct "host dishes") in place of proper chalices. In time I'm sure we'll get the paten back at my parish at all Masses.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments