Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 25, '14, 6:44 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default New movie: "Son of God"

Does anyone know if this movie would be appropriate for a Catholic audience? I understand it's not in theaters yet, but I am concerned that it may have a protestant, or worse, secular, outlook.

It's producers are Roma Downey and her husband Mark Burnett. While I would never presume to question another person's convictions (OK, I guess I am, here), I am doubtful that Christ's life will be told according to Catholic Christian tradition.

Here is the link:

http://www.sonofgodmovie.com/
Old Jan 25, '14, 7:56 am

Default Re: New movie: "Son of God"

This movie comes from the same producers as 'The Bible' series that was on T V last year. I had some real problems with it. I understand that much will be left out when producing a series like this, but I was really disappointed in the treatment of Mary. I guess my standard is more along the lines of what I saw in. The Passion of the Christ, where Mary was right there with Him sharing in Jesus's Passion. I don't think Ms. Downey 'gets that' in her portrayal of the BVM. One scene. I remember from The Bible show was after Jesus's death Mary was loading up her donkey to head back home alone without John and prior to the Resurection. It just seemed wrong to me.
Old Jan 25, '14, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneElliott View Post
This movie comes from the same producers as 'The Bible' series that was on T V last year. I had some real problems with it. I understand that much will be left out when producing a series like this, but I was really disappointed in the treatment of Mary. I guess my standard is more along the lines of what I saw in. The Passion of the Christ, where Mary was right there with Him sharing in Jesus's Passion. I don't think Ms. Downey 'gets that' in her portrayal of the BVM. One scene. I remember from The Bible show was after Jesus's death Mary was loading up her donkey to head back home alone without John and prior to the Resurection. It just seemed wrong to me.
I also thought that it emphasized gore, war, and violence over any real religious meaning.
Old Jan 25, '14, 9:30 am

Quote:
That's interesting.

I haven't seen that series (I don't watch TV unless it's on in someone else's house ), but from what I gather, this film is an "expanded adaptation and condensation" of the series itself. That is, it's derived from the series, but also includes additional material that was cut from it. This itself gives me cause for concern.

Second, it's rated PG-13. Unless they're going the graphic route with the Crucifixion (and hasn't Mel Gibson already done it?) there is no reason for a film about the life of Christ to be rated PG-13.

On the other hand, one of the lead actresses is a Catholic by all accounts, so there is hope. I'll personally stick to Jesus of Nazareth myself, unless I hear good things about this after its release.

(By the way, is your username derived from Anne Elliott of Persuasion? I love that book. )
Old Jan 25, '14, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Worm View Post
I also thought that it emphasized gore, war, and violence over any real religious meaning.
That is correct. The scenes I did see were hit and miss and usually emphasized violence and gore. Yes there are war scenes etc in the Bible, and when one is doing a series on the Bible, it does become impossible to include everything but what one does include can be revealing. Maybe their basic desire is to bring the Bible to people that are not going to church or are reading it. I think what they are going to include and the theology behind it, isn't going to be from a Catholic frame of reference but more Protestant and free wheeling.
John 8:32
Old Jan 25, '14, 10:16 am

I enjoyed it and to be honest you're not going to make everyone happy with something like The Bible miniseries.
Old Jan 25, '14, 11:01 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

The part that really ticked me off is that The Bible miniseries made Mary Magdalene present at the Last Supper, and thus at the Institution of the Eucharist and the Priesthood, which would make Mary Magdalene a "priest" ordained by Christ Himself!

"God the Father gathered all the waters together and called them the seas [maria]. He gathered all his graces together and called them Mary [Maria]." -St Louis de Monfort

Virgo dolorosissima, ora pro nobis.
Old Jan 25, '14, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTheJust View Post
The part that really ticked me off is that The Bible miniseries made Mary Magdalene present at the Last Supper, and thus at the Institution of the Eucharist and the Priesthood, which would make Mary Magdalene a "priest" ordained by Christ Himself!
You do know that the Catholic religion calls Mary Magdalene the "Apostle to the Apostles", don't you?

Apostle, by the way, means one sent and it was Jesus Who sent Mary to the others to tell them something, didn't He?
Old Jan 25, '14, 11:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencersmother View Post
Does anyone know if this movie would be appropriate for a Catholic audience? I understand it's not in theaters yet, but I am concerned that it may have a protestant, or worse, secular, outlook.

It's producers are Roma Downey and her husband Mark Burnett. While I would never presume to question another person's convictions (OK, I guess I am, here), I am doubtful that Christ's life will be told according to Catholic Christian tradition.

Here is the link:

http://www.sonofgodmovie.com/
I, personally, don't know anything about this movie but why not see it yourself and come to your own conclusion.
Old Jan 25, '14, 11:39 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Baum View Post
You do know that the Catholic religion calls Mary Magdalene the "Apostle to the Apostles", don't you?
Yes, but she was not a priest. Only men can be ordained to the priesthood.

There is no evidence that Mary, or anybody other than Christ and the Twelve, was present at the Last Supper.

"God the Father gathered all the waters together and called them the seas [maria]. He gathered all his graces together and called them Mary [Maria]." -St Louis de Monfort

Virgo dolorosissima, ora pro nobis.
Old Jan 25, '14, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPRPsych View Post
That's interesting.

I haven't seen that series (I don't watch TV unless it's on in someone else's house ), but from what I gather, this film is an "expanded adaptation and condensation" of the series itself. That is, it's derived from the series, but also includes additional material that was cut from it. This itself gives me cause for concern.

Second, it's rated PG-13. Unless they're going the graphic route with the Crucifixion (and hasn't Mel Gibson already done it?) there is no reason for a film about the life of Christ to be rated PG-13.

On the other hand, one of the lead actresses is a Catholic by all accounts, so there is hope. I'll personally stick to Jesus of Nazareth myself, unless I hear good things about this after its release.

(By the way, is your username derived from Anne Elliott of Persuasion? I love that book. )
Yes, it is! HUGE Austen fan, but Persuasion is my favorite.
Old Jan 25, '14, 1:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTheJust View Post
And in the boat. I turned it off after that. What group of fishermen would take a woman out to sea??? NOT! At least not in my mind... not at that time... I think they twisted or took liberties with a bunch of stuff...
God would not vouchsafe you the desire to be the Victim of His Merciful Love,were this not a favor in store...God never inspires a longing which He cannot fulfill. --St. Therese of Lisieux (Autobiography)
Old Jan 25, '14, 3:16 pm
Book Club Member

And now today, I have seen the trailer for "Noah" which is due out soon. Here it is:

http://www.noahmovie.com/

Somehow, the movie's makers have managed to make Noah more like one of the 300 at Thermopylae.

I saw some of that series, "The Bible" and just couldn't deal with a lot of it so I think I'll skip the "Son of God" movie. Almost certainly will skip seeing Noah on the big screen.
Old Jan 25, '14, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Yes, it is! HUGE Austen fan, but Persuasion is my favorite.

Same here, though I'd place Emma a close second.

Getting back to the thread: I think it's impossible to make a film version of the life of Christ that will please everyone.

And sometimes, having religious affiliations doesn't necessarily equate to a good film. The Italian film director Pier Paolo Pasolini was a gay Marxist, and yet his "Gospel According to St. Matthew" is considered a great film, even by Catholics.
Old Jan 26, '14, 11:25 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

My bishop saw it and said it was a good movie about the life of Jesus. So there's that endorsement.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media