Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 1, '14, 1:19 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Wink Winning The Lottery Jackpot

i havent won the lottery....this question is just for fun....

Now imagine you bought a lottery ticket..and you won the jackpot...what would you do with all that money?..who would you tell? Or would you keep it secret?..would you still live in the same home or would you move house or even move country? Would you donate to charities and if so which ones?
*IF YOU ARE DESPERATE FOR YOUR PRAYERS TO BE ANSWERED THEN READ BOTH LINKS*
Old Feb 1, '14, 2:03 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Winning The Lottery Jackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal waters View Post

Now imagine you bought a lottery ticket..and you won the jackpot...what would you do with all that money?..who would you tell? Or would you keep it secret?..would you still live in the same home or would you move house or even move country? Would you donate to charities and if so which ones?
Good afternoon, crystal waters,

First, let me tell you how I learned to budget. I was the night desk clerk at a retirement hotel for four years in the mid-eighties. I listened to these old people, and learned a lot from them. Also, my parents taught us to be frugal.

So, over the years, when I played the lottery, I had a plan for the money. I have revised the plan according to changes in my estate.
1. Pay the taxes on the winning.
2. Pay off all my debts.
3. Tithe.
4. Repair this old house, it's mine paid for.
5. Go to Jerusalem
6. Retain a law firm.
7.sit on the rest of it, while I think what to do with it.

I had the opportunity to put this plan to the test when my father died, in 1998. He left my twin and I a small fortune apiece. That's when I bought this old house cash on the barrel head. There were no inheritance taxes in Texas, then. I bought a van cash on the barrel head. I made a solo trip to Jerusalem and had a Certificate of Deposit for the balance.

I stopped playing the lottery since then, since it's gambling and gamblers don't get into the New Jerusalem.

However, I think that some sweepstakes, where I don't pay any money to enter, are not gambling and I enter those any time I can. So, the plan is still in effect.

That's what I did, that's what I'll do. Only, I might make some trust funds for loved ones if I won a bundle, instead of getting another certificate of deposit.

God loves you,
Don

Prayer is the purest form of human love - Don D. Snow

We're all God's creatures...and some humans can be His children. - Don D. Snow

Even the ignorant, may have wisdom. Anonymous
Old Feb 1, '14, 3:24 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

Hi Crystal

I am not a gambler and it does not come naturally to me.I am not at all materialistic.I have always said that I do not want to win the lottery in case it changes me and I think it would put pressure on people's relationship's as perhaps a married couple would have differing ideas about how the money should be spent.

Having said all that, today I bought 2 lottery tickets.I need to help my adult children,their partners and children, including my former foster daughter who are all struggling financially.They all need a home and I would like to be able to afford to buy them one each.
I would also like to put money in trust for my grandchildren for when they are older and need a home.

My Neices and Nephews and all extended family I would like to financially help.My sisters, a dear Friend,my Sponsor Child in Uganda,Lucia, ( the Romanian Refugee I try to help when I see her selling the Big Issue) I would like to buy homes for.

After that if any money left as it all depends on how much the lottery win could be.... I would like to donate money to SHINE, the charity for spina bifida (which my son died from) for research and Asthma UK for research as my middle son was severely ill all his childhood was close to death on many occasions and Brain Tumour UK as my dad died of a brain tumour for research. Also for Stroke research as my mother and younger brother both have had strokes.

The only way I could ever achieve any of the above would be with a lottery win. I am very happy and content in my life and need and want nothing for me and my husband but to help our family and friends would be wonderful.

"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters you do unto me"
Old Feb 1, '14, 3:56 pm

Religion: raised catholic

We had a guy in our town that won it twice!! First time he hit it for $13 million and then he hit it again 3 years later for $8 million. I actually went to grade school with one of his daughters, needless to say she was driving a mercedes was she was 16 yrs old.

I play here and there, but I would like to start getting a ticket for each drawing, I think $5. a week is enough to spend on the chance at that kind of money.

Im a sucker for Italian sports cars, so Id probably buy the 2 models I like most (1996 Lamborghini Diablo GT, all wheel drive, and a 2010 Ferrari Enzo) that would be the extent of my excess spending, Id be happy in the house im living now, but probably would not stay in KY for the winter.

Id like to build a super large, very nice animal shelter in the 3 counties in my area. I also have a deep love for animals and hate to see strays suffering. The way I see it, all animals are innocent and have done nothing wrong, they should not be made to suffer.

Im not sure about this, but it seems every time I see someone win the lottery, they dont exactly need the money, strange that we dont see many poor people winning this thing.
Old Feb 1, '14, 4:03 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic

and ........................................ ...what about giving to Charity, your local Church, Hospital, friend who is struggling with Mortgage, Sponsor a guy who wants to become a Priest, money for Food for the jobless . I see no mention of Charity at all except your pricey cars.
Old Feb 1, '14, 4:18 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Maiden View Post
and ........................................ ...what about giving to Charity, your local Church, Hospital, friend who is struggling with Mortgage, Sponsor a guy who wants to become a Priest, money for Food for the jobless . I see no mention of Charity at all except your pricey cars.
Good afternoon, Celtic Maiden,

I respectively beg to differ. If you will look at post #2 on this thread, item three is "Tithe". I would give part of the 10% to the Church and spread the rest through some different charities which I would like to help.

For the record, after my solo trip to Jerusalem in '98, if I can ever go again, that would be with a Catholic Church tour group.

God loves you,
Don

Prayer is the purest form of human love - Don D. Snow

We're all God's creatures...and some humans can be His children. - Don D. Snow

Even the ignorant, may have wisdom. Anonymous
Old Feb 1, '14, 4:35 pm

Quote:

If I win it would certainly be a life changer. Unfortunately I live in a state where lottery winners cannot keep their identity private, so if I win everyone I know will find out. I might have to move because my neighborhood isn't really "nice" if you know what I mean. There is a lot of crime at night. But I'd stay in the same state.

I would donate to charities, especially those that help low income disabled children and elderly patients. I'd also set up a charitable foundation to help kidney dialysis patients and seek sponsors to help fund programs. The rest of the money is mine!! To prevent from throwing the winnings away on useless things, I'd most likely set up a spendthrift trust to manage monthly expenses and give me only what I need to live comfortably month to month.
Old Feb 1, '14, 5:02 pm

Quote:

I wouldn't tell anyone. Mostly because I wouldn't want people to view me for the money and not for myself.

Now..if I won the massive prize on the Euromillions, which is sometimes over 100m I'd give a million to my priest and tell him to use it for the church or any charties he thought worthy. That would be the first thing I'd do.

As for the rest.. I'd make sure that my family and friends' lives were easier. Whilst I might not give them a million each, I'd make sure that I'd pay their mortgages off, or buy them a house they could afford to run, or send them on a holiday, or pay for their kids' education at a great school.

I'd make sure that all my nieces and nephews had money in a trust fund for when they're older.

Then I'd make sure that there was something for the kids in the area to do in the summer to keep them out of trouble.

I'd make sure that the homeless in the area weren't homeless, and I'd open up small businesses for them to work at so it gave them something positive to do.

Then I'd make sure I had a holiday, and that I had a life time season ticket at Leicester Tigers, and probably some shares too. And maybe a newer car...

And after that, I don't know what I'd do. This is all just off the top of my head...
Old Feb 1, '14, 8:44 pm

Religion: Christian

I just start buy BC 49 , 649, or Lotto Max. I thought that if I win Lottery Jackpot or become rich I would live in a simple house and have a simple not expensive car and wear simple clothing--- Then that I can make people without much money feel better. Then I can give people who without much money like in street or make at least 200 people happy. Oh, dear brothers sisters, think that when our Lord comes we will have every good things for free.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thy-K...68729723264050

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old Feb 1, '14, 9:27 pm

Religion: Not so sure anymore...

I'd sit quiet for a while. I'd retain a lawyer and a financial adviser. I'd make a list of charities I'd help after a tithe -- the War Amps are near top of the list. I'd do the research to suss out charities that help good causes AND have a good record of the money going to what the charity professes to do. I want to see the majority of my donated dollar helping Timmy walk again, not to help the CEO of the charity foundation pay for his Jaguar.

I'd either pay off and upgrade the houses my and Donna's folks live in, or buy them new ones easier for them to live independently in.

For myself, I'd buy a small house,* with good insurance. I'd probably start some kind of small business, try to get a few more jobs going.** Sock some away in some safe investments just in case. And get a cat or dog.

*but with TWO bathrooms.

**One of the things I would like to do is get a few trucks to drive around and pick up all the furniture and appliances that are left on the side of the road. I've seen stuff that was still in salvageable condition, but thrown out because it was possibly easier or cheaper to buy new stuff, or just abandoned for whatever reason. I used to think, gee, if I had a truck, and a place to do some restoring, this dresser here would be quite a nice piece with a bit of TLC. So I would have a few trucks picking up urban jetsam, and get a big workshop, and hire people to restore the furniture and stuff, and then redistribute it through say St Vincent de Paul. The workshop might be a good way to give some skills training to youth at risk, or allow retired craftsmen to pass their skills on, things like that. I haven't worked out all the details, it's just a pipedream at the moment. But like I said, I've seen perfectly good (if outdated) pieces of furniture just wanting for someplace to go.
Old Feb 4, '14, 3:09 am

Having been on the land for the first half of my life.. I would love to buy several hundred acres,,, and just look at it,,,listen to the silence,listen to the birds etc . And it must have a hill.. On that hill I would build a humble building to spend time in..
Do the Alaskan Cruise..then see what happens
Old Feb 5, '14, 10:02 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

It's what right now $200M? Lump sum payment cuts that in about half to $100M.

I wonder if I could split that into about $10M for me (what around $6M after taxes?) and $90M (untaxed) into a charitable foundation I'd run full time. It would pay me the same I make now plus medical and I'd spend the previous year's interest plus 2% of the capital every year finding, investigating and funding worthy catholic apostolates. Think Tom Monaghan on steroids!

Scholarships for Newmann approved catholic universities for catholic students
Expansion funding for That Man is You! programs
Grants to FOCUS
Grants to NET Ministries
Perhaps some CRS grants (if I'm satisfied it will be spent in a fully catholic manner)
That ought to do it for year one. Now I have a year to pick out next year's grant funding!

New house, but not crazy. Quit old day job and work full time researching my grant funding plans. May have to do some field investigations / travel to check out applicants. Sounds dang fun!

But I almost never buy a ticket. Can't help but think of lottery as the stupidity tax!
Old Feb 9, '14, 4:26 am

Religion: Christian

I saw that if you see today wining number and remember it. I saw that then if you can travel back to yesterday and write these numbers. Now that you can win.

I hope one day I can win, Brothers Sisters, and I must remember to buy it every week---I have thought if you win you even can build some houses in Africa, for in there people need much houses, but first we pray our Lord comes, then all will be well. We do not need win Jackpot to have everything we want.

O Brothers Sisters, I remember I saw a movie very long time ago; still dream can come true in many fairy tales, I watched the singing 'in my little corner', and give me much fun, and hope you like it also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6edvr...988F26D7CD5BF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJLMHBsJPj4

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thy-K...68729723264050

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old Feb 9, '14, 4:35 am

(1) Pay off student loans.
(2) Buy a car.
(3) Find the highest interest account I can and stick the rest there. Wait 50 years.

Old Feb 9, '14, 7:43 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

I've responded to a similar one before on CAF. There's definitely a lot I can do with winning the lottery jackpot. I would split the money and use it:
- invest. Bank accounts, stocks, fixed income, funds, real estate. Buy units that can be rented out
-travel. Go around the world, visit Catholic shrines, go to the Holy Land
-have my own businesses.
-donate to my favorite organizations such as EWTN, some religious groups, sponsoring a priest or nun, or a seminarian for studies. Sponsor needy children, elderly, donate to prolife groups.
-use the money for learning, like taking classes in things I want to learn

My family teases me that I'm very frugal and that I'd still probably be a prudent spender even after winning the lottery. I definitely want to enjoy life and make the most of it, and use the money for worthwhile things. Health is wealth so that's something I'm going to invest in given the resources.

Pray for the holy souls in purgatory daily
Pray for the dying, especially those dying unprepared

All are born with their own originality, but many die as photocopies. - Carlo Acutis

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence