Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 18, '05, 6:42 pm
Banned

Religion: Evangelical
Default Why is Alcohol so Important for Catholics?

As a Protestant that does not drink... I have to ask myself why is alcohol so important in your lives? It must be because you are unhappy and empty inside. There is no other reason to chose to drink a substance that can alter your mind. There are plenty of alternative drinks out there that do not contain alcohol. Drink orange juice instead..
Old Nov 18, '05, 6:53 pm

Default Re: Why is Alcohol so Important for Catholics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
As a Protestant that does not drink... I have to ask myself why is alcohol so important in your lives? It must be because you are unhappy and empty inside. There is no other reason to chose to drink a substance that can alter your mind. There are plenty of alternative drinks out there that do not contain alcohol. Drink orange juice instead..
And wen didy u come two this comclision ??????? burp oh ! and what are you protesting about ?
Old Nov 18, '05, 6:59 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Alfie,

Many Catholics don't drink.
Old Nov 18, '05, 7:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eireann
And wen didy u come two this comclision ??????? burp oh ! and what are you protesting about ?
Drunks that answer my posts.
Old Nov 18, '05, 7:03 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Are you talking about the use of wine during our communion service? If that is your question, than it is because we try to emulate Jesus in everything we do. Jesus used wine at the last supper and so we do too.

Or are you saying that all Catholics are alcoholics? You would be wrong if you think that. As far as the use of alcohol outside of the mass(our worship service), I could take it or leave it, its not that important. I do drink OJ on occasion, but usually decaf tea.
Old Nov 18, '05, 7:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
This does seem to be true to some extent. For example, it was always ther rule that alcoholic beverages would not be served on state college or on state universities in California until the former Jesuit seminarian Jerry Brown became governor. One of his first acts as governor was to allow the sale of alcoholic beer on all state campuses.
Old Nov 18, '05, 7:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyann2597
Are you talking about the use of wine during our communion service? If that is your question, than it is because we try to emulate Jesus in everything we do. Jesus used wine at the last supper and so we do too.

Or are you saying that all Catholics are alcoholics? You would be wrong if you think that. As far as the use of alcohol outside of the mass(our worship service), I could take it or leave it, its not that important. I do drink OJ on occasion, but usually decaf tea.
I am not saying that all Catholics are drunks, but I come from a background where alcohol wasn't used in the church. I remember going to a Catholic church one time with a friend. She talked me into going to bingo. I was quit uncomfortable with the situation. The priest was smoking and drinking a beer during the bingo. I felt like I was in a bar instead of a church. I do not believe in gambling, alcohol or smoking... especially in a church. The situation bothered my consious. I do not approve of using wine during communion at my church. I do not believe in the Catholic mass or using alcohol for any reason except possibly medical reasons.
Old Nov 18, '05, 7:18 pm
Banned

Do you have anything other than anecdotal evidence that Catholics have a propensity to drink?

Why is it you Protestants have a tendency to smoke weed more than Catholics?

See how ridiculous that seems? I have nothing to support this conclusion other than the fact that my neighbor, who is Methodist smokes weed like nobody's business.

And just a point of order, if you have a general question you are curious about, ask it in a manner that makes people actually want to respond. Smugness and silly questions aren't cool.
Old Nov 18, '05, 7:26 pm

Quote:
I am not saying that all Catholics are drunks, but I come from a background where alcohol wasn't used in the church. I remember going to a Catholic church one time with a friend. She talked me into going to bingo. I was quit uncomfortable with the situation. The priest was smoking and drinking a beer during the bingo. I felt like I was in a bar instead of a church. I do not believe in gambling, alcohol or smoking... especially in a church. The situation bothered my consious. I do not approve of using wine during communion at my church. I do not believe in the Catholic mass or using alcohol for any reason except possibly medical reasons.
I think that it may be a regional thing. You are in Ireland, right? I am in California and my parish priest would not dream of drinking where children would see him, and NOBODY smokes here (it is illegal to smoke in any public place or within 6 feet of a public entrance. It is also considered trashy) . I am sorry that one experience left you with such a negative perspective. Please don't judge every catholic by your one encounter. Oh, and about BINGO, we don't even do that anymore. It endorses gambling and is a waste of time.
Old Nov 18, '05, 7:27 pm

Quote:
As a Catholic who does not drink, I have to ask myself why alot of the Protestants that I know drink themselves drunk every weekend.

Now, doesn't that sound nasty? But it's true. I know Protestants who drink to excess. I also know Catholics who drink to excess. I also know people of both persuasions who choose not to drink alcohol at all.

People are people. Be they Protestant or Catholic, we are all human beings. We all have weaknesses. Lumping a group together and saying that "this group of people drinks too much", or "that group of people are terrible bigots", for example, are unfair statements. These are the sort of statements that are made out of misunderstanding (hopefully, not out of nastiness), that foster separation between people.
Old Nov 18, '05, 7:28 pm

Quote:
Sounds like your one of those followers of John the Baptist. John the Baptist didn't drink, Jesus changed water into wine. John the Baptist didn't eat, Jesus ate rich meals.
I remember how many Baptist I met at the AA meetings I attended. So it not just Catholics who fall into the sin of addiction.
Old Nov 18, '05, 7:29 pm

My bad....I read that the person who posted second was from Ireland. May I make a second suggestion? Please read any book by Scott Hahn or a book by Karl Keating called "Catholicism and fundamentalism" I think it will explain the catholic perspective on things.
Old Nov 18, '05, 7:47 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Now that is one of the sillier things I have seen posted in a while... Wherever do you get the idea all Catholics drink and all Protestants don't.

You might try it...it might brighten up your outlook on life. Who knows...you might even get a life in Christ that is focused on Him and not judging others. It might even cause you to think nice thoughts and relax your facial expression... The possibilities are endless.
Old Nov 18, '05, 8:21 pm

*****Please everyone, charity here. This is a new member.*****

Alfie- I don't think I can answer your question how you want it answered. What I can do is to repeat a bit of what has already been said, and expand a bit.

1- Jesus used wine at the last supper. This was part of the Passover feast. As a Jew, He was obligated to celebrate the Passover. The Passover feast included wine. Jesus drank wine. When Jesus said "do this in memory of me", the wine was a part of "this". I believe this justifies the use of wine during Communion at Mass.

2- Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding feast at Cana. Why? If our Lord thought drinking wine was sinful and scandulous, He wouldn't have done this. I believe this justifies the use of wine for fun and celebration.

3- Our church does not condemn the use of alcohol for worship, or recreation. Therefore, we are not obligated to abstain from it. Your religion teaches otherwise.

-The true fact that alchol is misused by some, (even some in authority) is not right, nor is it permitted by our religion. A legitimate, moderate use is.

(In the future, you should post questions such as this in a different forum, such as moral theology. I think the reason for so many inappropriate responses is that this is the water cooler- it is gennerally a silly place where people go to hang out and relax. We do our apologetics work in the other forums. Please forgive our bad behavior. I will refer to the moderators that this thread be moved to a more appropriate forum, so that you can recieve some more appropriate answers.)

Thank you! And welcome to CAF.

GOD's RAINBOW
Old Nov 18, '05, 8:23 pm

Thank you to all who participated.

This thread would better be answered in the apologetics forum.

This thread is now closed.

These Ask An Apologist threads might also be of interest:

When does drinking become a mortal sin?

Can I drink if I'm not 21?

Is getting drunk grave matter?

What does the bible really say about drinking?

What is the Church's stand on drinking and gambling?

Did Jesus drink?

Did Jesus use grape juice or wine?

Did Jesus drink unfermented wine?

Did Jesus drink fermented wine?

Wine

how to explain wine instead of grape juice?

What is the main difference between Catholicism and Protestantism?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence