Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 12, '14, 11:00 pm

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic with Jesuit & Byzantine influence
Default Ok For Catholics to go to Other Religious Services?

Is it ok to attend other religious services? Like I will definitely go to Mass, but I might want to visit a synagogue or mosque, or temple.
Old Feb 12, '14, 11:24 pm

Religion: RCIA
Default Re: Ok For Catholics to go to Other Religious Services?

I regularly attend a non-Catholic Christian service. I am absolutely certain that the Lord is present at their gatherings. Of course the Real Presence(TM!) is not there, and I wish all of them could experience the joyful adoration of the Mass, but I'm still happy that they are able to worship the Lord in their own way. I openly wear a crucifix and everyone knows I am Catholic; of course I don't participate in their version of "communion", but I am respectful of their beliefs and joyful that they are able to commune with the Lord to whatever degree they are able; of course I pray that they will at some future date become Catholic (and I hope and pray that perhaps my example will help defray their fears of us horrible demonic Papists.)

I think this question is kind of one of those that asks another question. I mean, is it OK for Catholics to celebrate birthdays? Isn't baptism more important? And what's all this singing and giving presents to someone just because they were born? Shouldn't you be praising God instead? Well, is the birthday celebration a substitute for proper respect for God, or is it all in good fun and everyone still understands that the ultimate thanks and celebration is to God? It depends on the attitude of the participant. If you attend alternative religious services in lieu of Mass, then there's a problem. If you're going to spend time worshipping the Lord with people who aren't Catholic but _we pray will be some day_ and you're honest about your faith in Christ and the Church, then not only is there no problem, but we ought to do more of this! We talk about evangelization - what better way than to attend an alternate religious service openly, as a Catholic?

Go to a Protestant service, or a mosque, or heck, a Wiccan circle, and participate as your conscience allows, and be respectful and loving and supportive of your fellow children of God. And also be openly and unapologetically Catholic. Then - invite them to Mass!
Old Feb 12, '14, 11:39 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

I think you should question your motives.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Feb 12, '14, 11:47 pm

Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalierdeJohn View Post
I regularly attend a non-Catholic Christian service. I am absolutely certain that the Lord is present at their gatherings. Of course the Real Presence(TM!) is not there, and I wish all of them could experience the joyful adoration of the Mass, but I'm still happy that they are able to worship the Lord in their own way. I openly wear a crucifix and everyone knows I am Catholic; of course I don't participate in their version of "communion", but I am respectful of their beliefs and joyful that they are able to commune with the Lord to whatever degree they are able; of course I pray that they will at some future date become Catholic (and I hope and pray that perhaps my example will help defray their fears of us horrible demonic Papists.)

I think this question is kind of one of those that asks another question. I mean, is it OK for Catholics to celebrate birthdays? Isn't baptism more important? And what's all this singing and giving presents to someone just because they were born? Shouldn't you be praising God instead? Well, is the birthday celebration a substitute for proper respect for God, or is it all in good fun and everyone still understands that the ultimate thanks and celebration is to God? It depends on the attitude of the participant. If you attend alternative religious services in lieu of Mass, then there's a problem. If you're going to spend time worshipping the Lord with people who aren't Catholic but _we pray will be some day_ and you're honest about your faith in Christ and the Church, then not only is there no problem, but we ought to do more of this! We talk about evangelization - what better way than to attend an alternate religious service openly, as a Catholic?

Go to a Protestant service, or a mosque, or heck, a Wiccan circle, and participate as your conscience allows, and be respectful and loving and supportive of your fellow children of God. And also be openly and unapologetically Catholic. Then - invite them to Mass!
Do not attend a Wiccan circle.
Old Feb 13, '14, 1:36 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Smile Re: Ok For Catholics to go to Other Religious Services?

A quick search of the AAA forum produced these links that may help inform your thinking on this.
One thing that also might help is to search for video of other religions services. In fact, a lot of what you see on TV is what you'd get in person. If you've ever seen a Billy Graham crusade on TV, then you have seen what most n-C services are like.

Me, after about 35 years among them, (My Testimony) I feel no need or inclination to go there. I feel like my time is better spent in the Rosary or Divine Mercy Chaplet, or in just reading my Bible (where I can snag a plenary indulgence for doing so!) so...all things considered...you see what I mean.

Dominus meus et Deus meus
Michael

Old Feb 13, '14, 1:43 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

In all fairness the ecumenical dialogue is promoted and a very good idea. I tend to agree with YoungTradCath; I don't quite understand.

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Feb 13, '14, 2:48 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

to attend a religious service that is non-Catholic for mere observational purposes seems harmless, especially if you are not going instead of mass and again only to observe what they do, which may help in dialogue with non-Catholics of other faith groups

although you can really see what services from other faith groups are like with the use of the internet these days -

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Feb 13, '14, 3:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawgj View Post
Is it ok to attend other religious services? Like I will definitely go to Mass, but I might want to visit a synagogue or mosque, or temple.
I agree with YoungTradCath, what would your reason be?

Now, I'm not a rigorist. I have done so for social reasons, such as weddings: I've been to Hindu weddings, including one in a temple on top of a hill (quite a journey!) where friends were involved. And of course, if you were an anthropologist or a scholar, it would be "participant observer" research. But going out of curiosity? I'm not so sure myself.
Old Feb 13, '14, 6:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Militant View Post
A quick search of the AAA forum produced these links that may help inform your thinking on this.
One thing that also might help is to search for video of other religions services. In fact, a lot of what you see on TV is what you'd get in person. If you've ever seen a Billy Graham crusade on TV, then you have seen what most n-C services are like.

Me, after about 35 years among them, (My Testimony) I feel no need or inclination to go there. I feel like my time is better spent in the Rosary or Divine Mercy Chaplet, or in just reading my Bible (where I can snag a plenary indulgence for doing so!) so...all things considered...you see what I mean.
Some more good advice from Fr. Serpa.....

Quote:
In the first place a Catholic has no business attending Protestant church services even occasionally. To participate in a heretical worship service and especially a communion service can be sinful for a Catholic because such an act is an affirmation of what we believe to be untrue. To attend an ecumenical service or a wedding or baptism is allowed, but Catholics are not allowed to attend such churches for the main reason of worship. Now if there are no Catholic churches in the vicinity on a Sunday, Catholics are allowed to participate in the Liturgy of Churches whose clergy are validly ordained such as the Eastern Orthodox Churches—including the reception of the Eucharist. Although we consider them to be in schism (not in union with the Pope) with the Catholic Church, such Churches are not heretical and share our basic beliefs.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.
One cannot do this. It is an absurd dichotomy. - Pope Francis
Old Feb 13, '14, 6:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc176 View Post
Some more good advice from Fr. Serpa.....
I agree with Fr. We have the One True Faith. Protestantism is a heresy. Outside of the reasons provided by Fr., going to other services is mocking Catholic worship by replacing it with false one. If we don't worship the One True God, we are worshipping demons.
Old Feb 13, '14, 7:08 am

Religion: Evangelical Catholic - LCMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marys_lamb View Post
I agree with Fr. We have the One True Faith. Protestantism is a heresy. Outside of the reasons provided by Fr., going to other services is mocking Catholic worship by replacing it with false one. If we don't worship the One True God, we are worshipping demons.
It's a pretty big leap between having less than the fullness of truth to worshipping demons.
Old Feb 13, '14, 7:17 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilldreamn View Post
It's a pretty big leap between having less than the fullness of truth to worshipping demons.
I apologize for in advance for that.

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Feb 13, '14, 7:42 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalierdeJohn View Post
A Wiccan circle!!! Definitely not. Witchcraft is not a benign, well-meaning faith. Witchcraft is aligned with satan, whether those practising realise it or not. You must not go to such things.

You could attend a service in a Protestant church, a Synagogue, or a Mosque, but it would very much depend on your motivation for doing so.

If you are attending because you wish to give credence to their belief systems, or because you believe that there is some validity in their belief system, then no, you should not go.

On the other hand, if you are attending a Protestant service for ecumenical reasons you can go. Or if you are attending something like a Holocaust Memorial service in a synagogue and you are attending out of a sense of support for the Jewish community, or a sense of solidarity with your fellow man uniting against such acts, then yes that would be OK. Or if you are attending a wedding or funeral etc. of a Protestant, Jewish or Muslim friend then there is no problem going. I guess, you could also go out curiosity, or to educate yourself on what goes on at Protestant, Jewish or Islamic services. You would naturally behave respectfully, but you would be there as a friend and observer.

But if you are going because of some personal spiritual reason, or you think there is something valid that you would benefit spiritually from going, then most definitely you should not go.

Oh glorious apostle St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus,
I will never cease to honor thee as my special and powerful patron, and to do all in my power to encourage devotion to thee.
Amen
Old Feb 13, '14, 8:32 am

Religion: Lutheran - LC-MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilldreamn View Post
.... the Catholic are on to us!

Quick! Hide the demon!
Old Feb 13, '14, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawgj View Post
I think actually attending should be left up to the conscience of the individual Catholic. It would be wrong to participate in a ceremony which imitates the Eucharist by taking communion.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions