Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 25, '14, 8:16 pm

Religion: other
Default Is it a mortal sin to eat meat in America?

Ordinarily we may think that man has the right to eat meat which involves killing an animal. However, isn't there a moral requirement to use a method which does not involve unbelievably harsh, cruel and painful treatment to the animal? It has come to my attention that presently the meat industry in the USA causes horrific pain and suffering to animals, using incredibly cruel methods to slaughter them. The meat industry does not want you to know about it, but Paul McCartney has explained this in the following:
http://www.meat.org/
Knowing that the meat industry uses these particularly brutal, savage, merciless and painful procedures to kill animals, would it then be a sin, even perhaps a mortal sin, to sit idly by and do nothing while this is happening and enjoy your hamburger or chicken sandwich?
Old Feb 25, '14, 9:18 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it a mortal sin to eat meat in America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdstone View Post
Ordinarily we may think that man has the right to eat meat which involves killing an animal. However, isn't there a moral requirement to use a method which does not involve unbelievably harsh, cruel and painful treatment to the animal? It has come to my attention that presently the meat industry in the USA causes horrific pain and suffering to animals, using incredibly cruel methods to slaughter them. The meat industry does not want you to know about it, but Paul McCartney has explained this in the following:
Knowing that the meat industry uses these particularly brutal, savage, merciless and painful procedures to kill animals, would it then be a sin, even perhaps a mortal sin, to sit idly by and do nothing while this is happening and enjoy your hamburger or chicken sandwich?
It would certainly be a far smaller sin than sitting by while 1,000,000 innocent children are being killed and disposed of using equally brutal, savage, merciless and painful procedures.

But I wouldn't know.

"The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?" - Psalm 27: 1

Love, war and the four last things? King For A Day is now complete!
Old Feb 25, '14, 9:23 pm

I was going to use the eating popcorn icon until I realized that popcorn kernels are violently harvested.
Old Feb 25, '14, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulfromIowa View Post
I was going to use the eating popcorn icon until I realized that popcorn kernels are violently harvested.
You brute! What about the way they are roasted in a fiery furnace? Truly a pagan punishment worthy of Nebuchadnezzar.

"The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?" - Psalm 27: 1

Love, war and the four last things? King For A Day is now complete!
Old Feb 25, '14, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Only if you worship on the altar of PETA.
Old Feb 25, '14, 10:17 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Or fois gras. Don't they treat the ducks cruelly so that their livers grow abnormally large? You raise an interesting question. To what extent are we responsible for cruelty to animals and how grave a matter is it? I have no idea. I could probably live without meat as long as there was enough fish and tofu.

Ishii
Old Feb 25, '14, 10:30 pm

Nope, not a sin. Do your really think an entire country would be convicted of mortal sin because of a Big mac? Time to care more about human children than the cow.
Old Feb 25, '14, 10:58 pm

There has to be full knowledge and intent for it to be a mortal sin. Full knowledge is the hard one I think. Not every company is that bad. For the most part you won't know which meat packages at the store are from companies that torture animals. Research the companies names but might not be much info about some of them.
Old Feb 25, '14, 11:04 pm

As much as I enjoy "Band on the Run", I cannot accept Paul McCartney as a world authority on anything; he doesn't even live here.
Old Feb 26, '14, 5:19 am

Not a mortal sin, but it is disgusting where these practices exist, and it's a fine show of a lack of interest in the well being of the world when people simply don't care, or point to a different issue to care more about. Catholics should be at the forefront of justice, even when it is for animals. This does not mean assigning human privileges to animals-- I believe we can eat them, as God said-- but it does mean treating them humanely, and thinking about the impact that the meat industry has on the world as well.

Creation is God's, and it is good. It is not to be treated cruelly for, even God, the master of creation, took pity on his animals in the last verse of Jonah.

Not all of us can do something about everything, nor are we called to-- but those who sweep it under the rug without a second thought, their actions are offensive to God.

(Edit: if you are particularly concerned, and you don't know if your meat is coming from a safe place [don't forget those videos are just as propaganda and misleading as anything the meat industry will tell you for their side], just stop buying meat. I eat it when it is offered to me but I've only bought meat a few times in the last year. I also raise chickens so I don't have to buy eggs, which industry is likewise horrifying. Cook vegetarian dishes for your friends and family, but never talk about it-- just if they ask)
Old Feb 26, '14, 6:07 am

Quote:

You might consider a Kosher butcher. As I understand it, Kosher slaughtering requirements mandate that the animal feel no pain and die within 2 seconds.
Old Feb 26, '14, 6:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishii View Post
I could probably live without meat as long as there was enough fish and tofu.
Because a fish that's gasping for breath after being yanked out of the water happily gave up its life for your dinner?
Old Feb 26, '14, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpeian Rock View Post
You might consider a Kosher butcher. As I understand it, Kosher slaughtering requirements mandate that the animal feel no pain and die within 2 seconds.
The requirements are that the animal not be injured, but pain doesn't figure into the equation. If the throat is slit properly death will come quickly, but with the need to process many animals as fast as possible, a proper cut doesn't often happen.
Old Feb 26, '14, 7:04 am

Religion: other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpeian Rock View Post
Yes. I believe that this is a good suggestion.
Old Feb 26, '14, 8:02 am
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: Dnieper Swim Team

Easy solution: find a kosher butcher. It is my understanding that the animals are killed humanely.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology