Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Nov 22, '05, 2:31 pm
julieanne julieanne is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 2, 2005
Posts: 441
Religion: catholic
Default The Wedding March

A friend of mine is to be married in May 2006 in the Catholic Church.
While speaking to her Pastor she was informed that as of January 2006 the traditional Wedding March would not be allowed to be played in a Catholic church wedding. He went on to explain to her that is was because of the person who wrote the song. Could anyone please shead some light on this and let me know if this is really something that is going to take place? As always, I appreciate your responses.
__________________
God Bless,

Julieanne
If God brings you to it... He'll bring you through it!!!!!!!
Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travel!!!!
  #2  
Old Nov 22, '05, 2:44 pm
GoLatin GoLatin is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 16, 2004
Posts: 590
Smile Re: The Wedding March

I don't know for sure if the Wedding March will be banned, but I think that it should be. It is a secular tune, not Catholic, I believe. Someone told me that it has something to do with immorality.

As for the person who wrote it, I'm sorry, I don't have enough information for you!

I think that only Catholic music should be allowed in Church!
  #3  
Old Nov 22, '05, 2:56 pm
SnorterLuster SnorterLuster is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 27, 2005
Posts: 599
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

I got married in 1971 and it was banned in my diocese at that time. If I remember correctly, The Wedding March was taken from a pagan opera by Lohengrin so we used something by Bach I think.
  #4  
Old Nov 22, '05, 3:01 pm
Karin Karin is offline
Banned
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: February 2, 2005
Posts: 7,261
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Karin
Default Re: The Wedding March

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorterLuster
I got married in 1971 and it was banned in my diocese at that time. If I remember correctly, The Wedding March was taken from a pagan opera by Lohengrin so we used something by Bach I think.
Actually the composer is Wagner and the Opera is Lohengrin.
  #5  
Old Nov 22, '05, 3:02 pm
CantorRick CantorRick is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 20, 2004
Posts: 348
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieanne
A friend of mine is to be married in May 2006 in the Catholic Church.
While speaking to her Pastor she was informed that as of January 2006 the traditional Wedding March would not be allowed to be played in a Catholic church wedding. He went on to explain to her that is was because of the person who wrote the song. Could anyone please shead some light on this and let me know if this is really something that is going to take place? As always, I appreciate your responses.

Called "The Bridal Chorus."

(lō´en-grĬn) , in medieval German story, a knight of the Holy Grail , son of Parzival. He is sent to rescue Princess Elsa of Brabant from an unwanted suitor. Led to Antwerp by a swan, Lohengrin saves Elsa and marries her. She is forbidden to ask his identity, but, overcome by curiosity, she asks. As a result, Lohengrin must return to the castle of the Grail. The swan reappears and is revealed to be Elsa's brother. In its fullest form the story is treated in a German epic poem composed c.1285-1290 and ascribed to Wolfram von Eschenbach by its unknown author. Wagner based his libretto for the opera Lohengrin (1850) on this source. The swan's metamorphosis is also a theme in classical, Celtic, and other mythologies.

Seems rather benign, but then........

Richard
__________________
Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, so that you may judge what is God's will, what is good, pleasing and perfect.
Romans 12:2
  #6  
Old Nov 22, '05, 3:53 pm
FrCorey FrCorey is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 9, 2005
Posts: 648
Religion: Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Default Re: The Wedding March

geez, whats next? ban handel's water music?
  #7  
Old Nov 22, '05, 3:55 pm
rayne89's Avatar
rayne89 rayne89 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2004
Posts: 6,557
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

I thought the "Wedding March" was never allowed for Catholic Church weddings. I remember reading years ago that the Wedding March was not used in a Catholic wedding because it was secular.
__________________
  #8  
Old Nov 22, '05, 4:04 pm
Joe Kelley Joe Kelley is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 24, 2004
Posts: 15,922
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantorRick
Called "The Bridal Chorus."

(lō´en-grĬn) , in medieval German story, a knight of the Holy Grail , son of Parzival. He is sent to rescue Princess Elsa of Brabant from an unwanted suitor. Led to Antwerp by a swan, Lohengrin saves Elsa and marries her. She is forbidden to ask his identity, but, overcome by curiosity, she asks. As a result, Lohengrin must return to the castle of the Grail. The swan reappears and is revealed to be Elsa's brother. In its fullest form the story is treated in a German epic poem composed c.1285-1290 and ascribed to Wolfram von Eschenbach by its unknown author. Wagner based his libretto for the opera Lohengrin (1850) on this source. The swan's metamorphosis is also a theme in classical, Celtic, and other mythologies.

Seems rather benign, but then........

Richard
As I recall the music accompanies their trip to the bedroom. I don't think there was any wedding.
__________________
I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse; therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live,
  #9  
Old Nov 22, '05, 4:56 pm
SnorterLuster SnorterLuster is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 27, 2005
Posts: 599
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Actually the composer is Wagner and the Opera is Lohengrin.
Heck, what do I know. I wanted to use Jimmy Rushing's "My bucket's got a hole in it." or Bob Wills "Take me back to Tulsa, I'm too young to marry". Neither my wife to be or our priest would let me though.
  #10  
Old Nov 22, '05, 5:08 pm
Royboy Royboy is offline
Inactive Member
 
Join Date: November 15, 2005
Posts: 1
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

Hope this helps clarify things a bit!

http://www.canticanova.com/articles/feedback/arteg1.htm
  #11  
Old Nov 22, '05, 5:14 pm
lcalise lcalise is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 28, 2005
Posts: 84
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to lcalise
Default Re: The Wedding March

"The music comes from Act III of Richard Wagner's opera Lohengrin, and by purely musical standards may be rich and profound. But the plot follows the contorted twists and turns of almost any opera. There is magic, deceit, trickery, superstition, love (of course), and ultimately the death of the unhappy lover."
http://www.canticanova.com/articles/feedback/arteg1.htm


(Act III Run-down from Wikipedia) The bridal chamber. Elsa and Lohengrin are ushered in with the well-known bridal chorus. They express their love for each other, but Ortrud's words are impressed upon Elsa, and, despite Lohengrin's warning, she asks the fatal question. Telramund rushes in to attack the knight, but is slain by Lohengrin, who sorrowfully turns to Elsa, and asks her to follow him to the king, to whom he will now reveal the mystery

...so I guess given the circumstances of the music and given the wide variety of equally beautiful musical pieces, they'd prefer you pick something more inherently in tune with the sacrament. :-D
  #12  
Old Nov 22, '05, 6:03 pm
Tantum ergo Tantum ergo is offline
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 12,734
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

And of course, if you choose, you can ALWAYS have it played at the reception.

You can't have "Here comes the Bride" either, BTW, in church. Same reason, really. The pieces are not sacred music. Catholic weddings are sacraments, are sacred, and deserve, for processional and recessional (or "gathering" and "going forth"), sacred music, not popular music, not even "classical" but profane music.
__________________
HLS Club

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
  #13  
Old Nov 22, '05, 6:35 pm
Elzee Elzee is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 27, 2005
Posts: 2,110
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorterLuster
Heck, what do I know. I wanted to use Jimmy Rushing's "My bucket's got a hole in it." or Bob Wills "Take me back to Tulsa, I'm too young to marry". Neither my wife to be or our priest would let me though.
  #14  
Old Nov 22, '05, 6:58 pm
SueKrum SueKrum is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 9, 2005
Posts: 568
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

I heard that the "Hear comes the bride" songn's real name is "the wedding march of the wh---" you fill in the blank. don't wanna say that word on there. not sure if that's true or not, but that's what I heard. and it is a cheezy song like that web site said. I went down the isle to "cannon in d" witha floutist playing along with a piano and I reccomend that for any wedding of course, the mothers have to go down to "ave maria"
__________________

All you peoples, clap your hands; shout to God with joyful cries. PS 47:2
  #15  
Old Nov 22, '05, 7:06 pm
JKirkLVNV JKirkLVNV is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: October 17, 2004
Posts: 9,411
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

It's possible that your priest won't allow it because Wagner was a rabid anti-semite. Hitler considered him the ideal composer.
__________________
In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8480Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: suko
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3864SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3763Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3332Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3288Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3116For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:43 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.