Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 22, '05, 2:31 pm

Religion: catholic
Default The Wedding March

A friend of mine is to be married in May 2006 in the Catholic Church.
While speaking to her Pastor she was informed that as of January 2006 the traditional Wedding March would not be allowed to be played in a Catholic church wedding. He went on to explain to her that is was because of the person who wrote the song. Could anyone please shead some light on this and let me know if this is really something that is going to take place? As always, I appreciate your responses.

Julieanne
If God brings you to it... He'll bring you through it!!!!!!!
Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travel!!!!
Old Nov 22, '05, 2:44 pm

Smile Re: The Wedding March

I don't know for sure if the Wedding March will be banned, but I think that it should be. It is a secular tune, not Catholic, I believe. Someone told me that it has something to do with immorality.

As for the person who wrote it, I'm sorry, I don't have enough information for you!

I think that only Catholic music should be allowed in Church!
Old Nov 22, '05, 2:56 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Wedding March

I got married in 1971 and it was banned in my diocese at that time. If I remember correctly, The Wedding March was taken from a pagan opera by Lohengrin so we used something by Bach I think.
Old Nov 22, '05, 3:01 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Karin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorterLuster
I got married in 1971 and it was banned in my diocese at that time. If I remember correctly, The Wedding March was taken from a pagan opera by Lohengrin so we used something by Bach I think.
Actually the composer is Wagner and the Opera is Lohengrin.
Old Nov 22, '05, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieanne
A friend of mine is to be married in May 2006 in the Catholic Church.
While speaking to her Pastor she was informed that as of January 2006 the traditional Wedding March would not be allowed to be played in a Catholic church wedding. He went on to explain to her that is was because of the person who wrote the song. Could anyone please shead some light on this and let me know if this is really something that is going to take place? As always, I appreciate your responses.

Called "The Bridal Chorus."

(lō´en-grĬn) , in medieval German story, a knight of the Holy Grail , son of Parzival. He is sent to rescue Princess Elsa of Brabant from an unwanted suitor. Led to Antwerp by a swan, Lohengrin saves Elsa and marries her. She is forbidden to ask his identity, but, overcome by curiosity, she asks. As a result, Lohengrin must return to the castle of the Grail. The swan reappears and is revealed to be Elsa's brother. In its fullest form the story is treated in a German epic poem composed c.1285-1290 and ascribed to Wolfram von Eschenbach by its unknown author. Wagner based his libretto for the opera Lohengrin (1850) on this source. The swan's metamorphosis is also a theme in classical, Celtic, and other mythologies.

Seems rather benign, but then........

Richard
Old Nov 22, '05, 3:53 pm
Banned

Religion: Ukrainian Orthodox Church

geez, whats next? ban handel's water music?
Old Nov 22, '05, 3:55 pm

I thought the "Wedding March" was never allowed for Catholic Church weddings. I remember reading years ago that the Wedding March was not used in a Catholic wedding because it was secular.
Old Nov 22, '05, 4:04 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantorRick
Called "The Bridal Chorus."

(lō´en-grĬn) , in medieval German story, a knight of the Holy Grail , son of Parzival. He is sent to rescue Princess Elsa of Brabant from an unwanted suitor. Led to Antwerp by a swan, Lohengrin saves Elsa and marries her. She is forbidden to ask his identity, but, overcome by curiosity, she asks. As a result, Lohengrin must return to the castle of the Grail. The swan reappears and is revealed to be Elsa's brother. In its fullest form the story is treated in a German epic poem composed c.1285-1290 and ascribed to Wolfram von Eschenbach by its unknown author. Wagner based his libretto for the opera Lohengrin (1850) on this source. The swan's metamorphosis is also a theme in classical, Celtic, and other mythologies.

Seems rather benign, but then........

Richard
As I recall the music accompanies their trip to the bedroom. I don't think there was any wedding.
Old Nov 22, '05, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Actually the composer is Wagner and the Opera is Lohengrin.
Heck, what do I know. I wanted to use Jimmy Rushing's "My bucket's got a hole in it." or Bob Wills "Take me back to Tulsa, I'm too young to marry". Neither my wife to be or our priest would let me though.
Old Nov 22, '05, 5:08 pm
Inactive Member

Hope this helps clarify things a bit!

http://www.canticanova.com/articles/feedback/arteg1.htm
Old Nov 22, '05, 5:14 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to lcalise

"The music comes from Act III of Richard Wagner's opera Lohengrin, and by purely musical standards may be rich and profound. But the plot follows the contorted twists and turns of almost any opera. There is magic, deceit, trickery, superstition, love (of course), and ultimately the death of the unhappy lover."
http://www.canticanova.com/articles/feedback/arteg1.htm

(Act III Run-down from Wikipedia) The bridal chamber. Elsa and Lohengrin are ushered in with the well-known bridal chorus. They express their love for each other, but Ortrud's words are impressed upon Elsa, and, despite Lohengrin's warning, she asks the fatal question. Telramund rushes in to attack the knight, but is slain by Lohengrin, who sorrowfully turns to Elsa, and asks her to follow him to the king, to whom he will now reveal the mystery

...so I guess given the circumstances of the music and given the wide variety of equally beautiful musical pieces, they'd prefer you pick something more inherently in tune with the sacrament. :-D
Old Nov 22, '05, 6:03 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

And of course, if you choose, you can ALWAYS have it played at the reception.

You can't have "Here comes the Bride" either, BTW, in church. Same reason, really. The pieces are not sacred music. Catholic weddings are sacraments, are sacred, and deserve, for processional and recessional (or "gathering" and "going forth"), sacred music, not popular music, not even "classical" but profane music.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Nov 22, '05, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorterLuster
Heck, what do I know. I wanted to use Jimmy Rushing's "My bucket's got a hole in it." or Bob Wills "Take me back to Tulsa, I'm too young to marry". Neither my wife to be or our priest would let me though.
Old Nov 22, '05, 6:58 pm

I heard that the "Hear comes the bride" songn's real name is "the wedding march of the wh---" you fill in the blank. don't wanna say that word on there. not sure if that's true or not, but that's what I heard. and it is a cheezy song like that web site said. I went down the isle to "cannon in d" witha floutist playing along with a piano and I reccomend that for any wedding of course, the mothers have to go down to "ave maria"

All you peoples, clap your hands; shout to God with joyful cries. PS 47:2
Old Nov 22, '05, 7:06 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

It's possible that your priest won't allow it because Wagner was a rabid anti-semite. Hitler considered him the ideal composer.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments