Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 6, '14, 5:53 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Can You Break Your Lenten Promise on Sundays?

Hi CAF!

I have another Lent question! I know that Lent is 40 days from the start of Ash Wednesday to Easter minus Sundays. In multiple sources, I have read about how you are allowed to break your Lenten promise on Sundays as it is a joyful day. However, this past week, in my parish's bullentin it says, "Only on the 4th Sunday of Lent, Laetare Sunday (Rose Sunday) are you allowed to break your Lenten abstinence. You are to keep the Lenten abstinence on all other Sundays of Lent."

I am a bit torn on which is right...I believe I've read that it can also be personal preference, just between you and God.

Thank you! God bless you!
O Victorious Lady, Thou who has ever such powerful influence with Thy Divine Son, in conquering the hardest of hearts, intercede for those for whom we pray, that their hearts being softened by the rays of Divine Grace, they may return
to the unity of the true Faith, through Christ, our Lord. Amen
Old Mar 6, '14, 6:41 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can You Break Your Lenten Promise on Sundays?

According to the "older tradition", which I follow, the Fast is not enforced on Sundays. So eat hearty without being a glutton. So I Fast 6 days a week and then celebrate Sundays with a big meal with family after Mass.

I believe, but I'm not sure, that the new law states that during Lent one must Fast on all Fridays and on Good Friday (plus Ash Wednesday). Other than that I think they use words like "encourage" people to do more.

Probably wrong on that but then again I follow the old law.
Old Mar 6, '14, 7:16 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair View Post
According to the "older tradition", which I follow, the Fast is not enforced on Sundays. So eat hearty without being a glutton. So I Fast 6 days a week and then celebrate Sundays with a big meal with family after Mass.

I believe, but I'm not sure, that the new law states that during Lent one must Fast on all Fridays and on Good Friday (plus Ash Wednesday). Other than that I think they use words like "encourage" people to do more.

Probably wrong on that but then again I follow the old law.
Thank you!!
O Victorious Lady, Thou who has ever such powerful influence with Thy Divine Son, in conquering the hardest of hearts, intercede for those for whom we pray, that their hearts being softened by the rays of Divine Grace, they may return
Old Mar 6, '14, 7:33 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowAngels View Post
Hi CAF!

I have another Lent question! I know that Lent is 40 days from the start of Ash Wednesday to Easter minus Sundays. In multiple sources, I have read about how you are allowed to break your Lenten promise on Sundays as it is a joyful day.
Sundays are the highest of feast days. We do not fast or do penance on Sundays. Therefore, one is not "breaking" anything by doing it on Sunday. Moreover, Lenten sacrifices are purely voluntary. You can do or not do whatever you please.

Quote:
However, this past week, in my parish's bullentin it says, "Only on the 4th Sunday of Lent, Laetare Sunday (Rose Sunday) are you allowed to break your Lenten abstinence. You are to keep the Lenten abstinence on all other Sundays of Lent."
That is unfortunate, since it's not true. It is setting up the impression that voluntary sacrifices of Lent (which are pious practices) are somehow regulated by the Church. They are not. This is not a doctrine or a discipline. It is a private devotional practice. It is encouraged by the Church but it does not fall under any sort of law that has "rules".

This bulletin annoucement is very misguided.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/LENT.HTM

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Mar 6, '14, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Hi CAF!

I have another Lent question! I know that Lent is 40 days from the start of Ash Wednesday to Easter minus Sundays. In multiple sources, I have read about how you are allowed to break your Lenten promise on Sundays as it is a joyful day. However, this past week, in my parish's bullentin it says, "Only on the 4th Sunday of Lent, Laetare Sunday (Rose Sunday) are you allowed to break your Lenten abstinence. You are to keep the Lenten abstinence on all other Sundays of Lent."

I am a bit torn on which is right...I believe I've read that it can also be personal preference, just between you and God.

it comes down to your own personal practice, there are many that saying breaking a fast on Sunday's defeats the purpose. Did Jesus say oh I fasted for 40 days just don't count the sabbath day. Others would say that Sunday is a feast day and we don't fast on a feast day. Both are good pius practices.

For me my fast, or actually penance, is fasting from products with gluten for all but 3/4 meals, also exercising multiple times a week. Both are actually penances, the fasting from a certain type of food is difficult I'm missing out on many foods that I would normally eat. Exercises is a pence as well, I'm putting my body through physical stress for my benefit. I'm going to eat gluten on Sunday's but that isn't because it is sunday and has more to do with trying to stay committed to the diet. I may or may not work out on Sunday, I have to talk to my spiritual director about it first.

Again it comes down to your personal choice.

Note: I'm doing prayer and alms giving as well, but that doesn't apply to the thread.

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart. Padre Pio

Seminarian Studying for the Priesthood of Jesus Christ
Old Mar 6, '14, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
That is unfortunate, since it's not true. It is setting up the impression that voluntary sacrifices of Lent (which are pious practices) are somehow regulated by the Church. They are not. This is not a doctrine or a discipline. It is a private devotional practice. It is encouraged by the Church but it does not fall under any sort of law that has "rules".

http://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/LENT.HTM
many people will break their fast on the feast of St. Joseph, being that it is a solemnity and there are many great Catholic Traditions surrounding this solemnity may force people to break it.

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart. Padre Pio

Seminarian Studying for the Priesthood of Jesus Christ
Old Mar 6, '14, 9:56 pm

Religion: (cradle) Catholic - Latin Rite

Quote:
However, this past week, in my parish's bullentin it says, "Only on the 4th Sunday of Lent, Laetare Sunday (Rose Sunday) are you allowed to break your Lenten abstinence. You are to keep the Lenten abstinence on all other Sundays of Lent."
Quote:

Not only that but abstinence in a Lenten context usually refers to not eating meat. I've never heard of that applied to Sundays.
Old Mar 6, '14, 11:13 pm

Religion: Catholic (Easter Vigil 2014!)

Quote:
Hi CAF!

To me it seems very superficial to be looking for such loopholes.

It is only 40 days, and it seems that for this season one should commit to sacrifice, prayer, alms giving.

My 2 cents
Old Mar 7, '14, 5:34 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

It is only 40 days, and it seems that for this season one should commit to sacrifice, prayer, alms giving.

My 2 cents
To be technical, the 40 days of Lent don't include Sundays, but I am willing to sacrifice on Sundays -- I was just confused and asking a question.
Old Mar 7, '14, 5:43 am

You may choose to break your fast on Sunday, but it's always a good idea to still exercise some moderation.
Old Mar 7, '14, 5:52 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

My 2 cents
You hit the nail on the head, it IS superficial, looking for a loophole and entirely human which is why a lot of people do it....including me.

I am not proud of that fact, I am embarrassed, but I admit it openly because I am broken and lost. My sacrifices to God are pitiful a lot of the time. Often I go into Lent with high hopes, only to find myself looking forward to Sunday when I can have a bit of sweets or whatever I gave up. Praise be to Jesus Christ that He accepts me in my brokenness, and takes whatever bits and pieces that I offer Him. Hopefully I can grow in holiness over time, and can gain spiritual strength where I do not seek the loopholes but seek only to please God!

People should know though, that we are not bound by our Lenten sacrifices. In other words if you give something up for Lent and "slip up" you do not need to go to confession. God bless.
Old Mar 7, '14, 6:38 am
Forum Elder

It's not a loophole. It is simply a fact that Sundays are not penitential days.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Mar 7, '14, 8:04 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
It's not a loophole. It is simply a fact that Sundays are not penitential days.
Old Mar 7, '14, 8:40 am

Religion: catholic

All I know is that when you make a promise durning lent, you usally do it threw at lest up to Good Friday,But some people, can,t even get threw the frist week, wit out breaking their Lent Promise.
Old Mar 7, '14, 9:32 am

Quote:
To be technical, the 40 days of Lent don't include Sundays, but I am willing to sacrifice on Sundays -- I was just confused and asking a question.
I once heard a priest say that it's your sacrifice, so you decide what it means.

If you want to sacrifice Monday - Saturday, that's fine. If you want to avoid your sacrifice on Sunday, that's fine, too.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism