Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 10, '14, 5:28 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Reactions to "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
If he was diGrasse's inspiration, then it was fine to remark on that incident in the show.
The more I think about it the less I like the show.

diGrasse demonized the Church with a long drawn out and over dramatized part about Bruno. On the other hand, he went out of his way in a ridiculous fashion unrelated to science and spoke tenderly of Sagan (atheist) regarding a scrap of paper with telephone number and invitation to come stay with family.
I hope all good young impressionable minds were in bed asleep and not watching dGrasse make an all out effort to demonize the Catholic Church and humanize an atheist.
Old Mar 10, '14, 9:08 am

It's worth noting that while Sagan was a confirmed atheist, Tyson is not. He has worked with Dawkins in the past, for example, but still does not self-identify as an atheist. This program's purpose seems pretty clear: to invite the average layperson to involve herself in cosmology and to think of herself as a very small part in a very large, foreign universe. I applaud this goal! As for the program's depictions of the Church, I find it difficult to have any response. As someone who has never had an interest in justifying wrongheaded choices made by Church leaders of the past, and as someone who doesn't see today's Church as anti-science, this portion of the program didn't rile me in the slightest.
Old Mar 10, '14, 9:47 am
Forum Elder

Here's another commentary on the program.
Old Mar 10, '14, 9:56 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic loyal to the Pope, don't even try to change me!

I missed the first episode of the new series,
but the Hallmark Channel showed many episodes of Carl Sagan's series.

Boy are they dated! Special effects are primitive compared to today's computer generated scenes.
But expecially irritating was Sagan's constant presence on the screen. I got tired of his "Patty Duke era" hairstyle, and he spent too much time on European history and not enough on scientific information, which would seem to be the purpose of a series called Cosmos.

I suppose he was pandering to the lowest common denominator crowd, but I found his discussions too watered down for my taste.

I hope the new guy sticks to science and spares us having to watch his face all the time.
Old Mar 10, '14, 10:00 am
Forum Elder

Thinking more about the show's presentation of Bruno's “vision” of an infinite universe, I wonder if Tyson intended to present an infinite universe as a scientific fact.

The cosmological picture of the universe currently favored is not of an infinite universe. Rather it is a spherical universe about 28 billion light years in diameter and expanding, with space-time having a positive curvature.

Tyson tosses in the reference to the multiverse theory as if it were established fact rather than speculation. I wish the program had paid more careful attention to the science rather than to the enduring myth of religious opposition to science.
Old Mar 10, '14, 12:13 pm

Religion: long lost Catholic sheep, now in the Maronite fold

Heard Tyson in an interview saying the show will give answers to the kids who are always looking up into the sky and wondering , and hopefully give them some answers and get them thinking. ? Really? All I see kids doing is looking down into their cell phone or iPad screens. I give the show a run until the summer, then it will be shelved.
Old Mar 10, '14, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casilda View Post
Heard Tyson in an interview saying the show will give answers to the kids who are always looking up into the sky and wondering , and hopefully give them some answers and get them thinking. ? Really? All I see kids doing is looking down into their cell phone or iPad screens. I give the show a run until the summer, then it will be shelved.
I'm not so quick to assume that kids aren't asking big questions. My five-year-old knows the names of our solar system's planets, knows that comets spread the universe's "original" matter, knows what happens when a star goes supernova, and just the other day when she heard the phrase "event horizon," she asked, "You mean like in a black hole?" And this is all at her prompting. Kids often find interesting what they're nurtured to find interesting.
Old Mar 10, '14, 6:10 pm

Well, perhaps the show will give equal time to a revolutionary atheist government's execution by guillotine of a Catholic scientist, Antoine Lavoisier, the Father of Chemistry. As the judge in that show trial said, "La République n'a pas besoin de savants ni de chimistes ; le cours de la justice ne peut être suspendu." ("The Republic needs neither scientists nor chemists; the course of justice cannot be delayed.")

Lavoisier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Lavoisier

- Pope Francis

Last edited by Arizona Mike; Mar 10, '14 at 6:23 pm.
Old Mar 10, '14, 6:13 pm

Religion: Agnostic
Send a message via AIM to EmperorNapoleon

I didn't like it at all. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is great in an interview, but his narration leaves much to be desired. It was almost patronizing for some of us who know more about the science than middle school children, but maybe that was the intended audience. I also agree with others who have said the science was dumbed down. So much so in fact that his brief description of the formation of the moon, one of the easiest things to explain, was misleading at best. Maybe fancy CGI and Seth Mcfarlane cartoons are enough for some, but I was very disappointed. Thumbs down for style over substance.
Old Mar 10, '14, 6:21 pm

Perhaps they will also discuss the execution of the brilliant Jewish scientist who pioneered the study of quantum gravity, Mattvei Bronstein, by an atheist government. A popular science writer for children as well as a legitimate genius, he was essentially the Sagan of his time.

Bronstein: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...d-the-subject/

- Pope Francis
Old Mar 10, '14, 6:29 pm

Or maybe they will describe the execution by firing squad or starvation in the Arctic gulags of the greatest Russian geneticists, who made the mistake of opposing the officially approved atheist state pseudoscience of Lysenkoism, like Isaak Agol, Solomon Levit, Grigorii Levitskii, Georgii Nadson, or Georgii Karpechenko:

- Pope Francis
Old Mar 10, '14, 6:38 pm

Or they could discuss the many scientists executed by the atheistic Pol Pot government in the Year Zero holocaust, or the many scientists executed by the atheistic Maoist government in the Great Cultural Revolution, or...

- Pope Francis
Old Mar 10, '14, 7:00 pm

Religion: Agnostic
Send a message via AIM to EmperorNapoleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Savage View Post
He wasn't persecuted for his scientific thoughts. It was a lie. Ideologists like science when it concerns ideology. That's why they find cosmology and evolution especially interesting.
It wasn't a lie. The theories which he was required to renounce by the inquisition were his belief that the Earth revolved around the sun and his belief in an infinite universe with infinite worlds among others. He wouldn't do it, so they silenced him by burning him at the stake.
Old Mar 10, '14, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorNapoleon View Post
It wasn't a lie. The theories which he was required to renounce by the inquisition were his belief that the Earth revolved around the sun and his belief in an infinite universe with infinite worlds among others. He wouldn't do it, so they silenced him by burning him at the stake.
Not true. He was burned for his theology.

Quote:
According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, "in 1600 there was no official Catholic position on the Copernican system, and it was certainly not a heresy. When [...] Bruno [...] was burned at the stake as a heretic, it had nothing to do with his writings in support of Copernican cosmology."

Last edited by John Savage; Mar 10, '14 at 8:10 pm.
Old Mar 10, '14, 8:25 pm

Religion: atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Savage View Post
Not true. He was burned for his theology.

did too! lol...

How about we read up on this Bruno guy http://www.egs.edu/library/giordano-bruno/biography/

Agree or disagree, you will know more then you did. Perhaps the Cosmos program is doing some good?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media