Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 10, '14, 7:59 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Singing priest's Hallelujah wows wedding guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconsSon87 View Post
It would be acceptable outside of Lent...but it was DURING Lent, so two rules were broken.

1. Weddings are to be done with LITTLE ceremony during that season (even though a Nuptial Mass is now allowed, it's still to be cut back on ceremony.)
2. We are NOT to use the "A-word" (or the "H-word") in Lent. AT ALL. ESPECIALLY during the Mass.
What---amen and hallelujah? Do you have a reference?
Old Apr 10, '14, 8:08 am

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasLuxMea View Post
What---amen and hallelujah? Do you have a reference?
Not THAT A-word...I'm talking about the "A-word" that we use as the "H-word" which we do NOT use during Lent.
Old Apr 10, '14, 8:22 am

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

First of all, my objection on the basis that this is a Leonard Cohen song is actually irrelevant, because he took the tune and wrote original lyrics to it. I still question its suitability for the Sacred Liturgy, but that's neither here nor there.

Secondly, I see no evidence that this liturgy occurred during Lent. There are flowers everywhere, including the altar, the priest is wearing white vestments, of course since it is a nuptial liturgy, but there is no violet on the altar or anywhere in the church, so the only evidence I can see is an upload date, but this video could have been recorded at any time in the past. So unless you have some kind of evidence this actually happened during Lent, your argument is likewise weak.
Old Apr 10, '14, 9:31 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Thumbs down Re: Singing priest's Hallelujah wows wedding guests

Here's another sensational mass brought to by bored people. My question is this: Why couldn't he have done this at the reception? Nobody said he wasn't invited. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as sensational but would it have been any less special?

When the priest celebrates mass or performs a wedding he is acting as Jesus and fulfilling his office within the Church. A mass is very important because it is the highest prayer available to us. Therefore, it deserves respect and solemness when it is conducted.

I can't give this "man" a pass on what he did. Notice, I am not criticizing his priestly office but only his human taste. Granted, there have been far worse things done at Masses and weddings; however, must we always push the envelope? Why can't we just leave the ceremony and prayers alone?

Personally, I would never have allowed this at my wedding. I intend to carefully screen what is being done. Something like this makes the whole wedding and Mass look absurd! Say what you want and split hairs if you must; however, I believe the priest was in the wrong and should refrain from doing this at Mass again.
Old Apr 10, '14, 6:37 pm

Cruciferi---there's not an Irish bone in your body, my dear.
We tend to be a sentimental, poetical, musical sort.
Old Apr 10, '14, 7:22 pm

Guess I'll just hang myself alone out here and go on record saying I don't like it. Yeah, he's got a nice voice. But that was not the place to do his "look at me" solo. And a Leonard Cohen song is not appropriate for a church wedding. I agree with the poster who said if he wanted to entertain he should have done it at the reception.

And retire early.....I'm 80% Irish.
Old Apr 10, '14, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax2u View Post
Guess I'll just hang myself alone out here and go on record saying I don't like it. Yeah, he's got a nice voice. But that was not the place to do his "look at me" solo. And a Leonard Cohen song is not appropriate for a church wedding. I agree with the poster who said if he wanted to entertain he should have done it at the reception.

You're not alone. I don't like it, but only for the reason that it was neither the appropriate time nor place for such a song. A priest with such a great voice though... I hope he always sings the rest of the Sunday liturgy! Such pipes should not be so limited to merely speaking the sacred words of liturgy and consecration!
Old Apr 10, '14, 11:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax2u View Post

......yep.....its that 20% that's got ya a wee bit off......
Old Apr 11, '14, 1:16 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: off-the-record "discerning"

LOVE Leonard Cohen. This is one of his best.

It's a bit odd, tho, seeing a priest singing Cohen. His songs are so...um...primal.
(I feel as though the women giggling off to the side are a bit embarrassed for the priest?)
I think his voice is better than average, but he's singing this one too high.

Why are people so "stunned" if a priest or nun (like the one from the Brit talent show last week) sing well?

Are they supposed to all be bad singers or something?

Old Apr 11, '14, 1:26 am
Book Club Member

Thumbs up Re: Priest Stuns Wedding Guests With ‘Unbelievable’ Performance of ‘Hallelujah’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn78 View Post
Check this out, its one of the most beautiful weddings ive seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwqj5QViQ

While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart.”
― Francis of Assisi
Thanks for that link. It's absolutely beautiful. What a dear priest.

(I can't believe some of the ugly comments on this thread. Maybe it was after the Mass? I don't know, but this was a beautiful song).
Old Apr 11, '14, 5:50 am
Observing Member

I have a question related to the video. Is it acceptable to sing straight from the altar offering table? I never saw priest in my parish to even say the homily or do the readings from the center of the altar.
Old Apr 11, '14, 9:37 am

Religion: Catholic convert from the Reformed Tradition

I thought it was highly inappropriate, and if it were my wedding, I would not be happy (just as I wasn't when my wedding band did the cheesy Vegas announcement of the bride and groom that I asked them NOT to do).

Watching it, it felt like he was doing it for attention - making it about him instead of the bride and groom and the sacrament. The interviews I've read have not moved me off of that opinion.
Old Apr 11, '14, 10:06 am

Religion: CATHOLIC
Thumbs down Re: Singing priest's Hallelujah wows wedding guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAML72 View Post
I thought it was highly inappropriate, and if it were my wedding, I would not be happy (just as I wasn't when my wedding band did the cheesy Vegas announcement of the bride and groom that I asked them NOT to do).

Watching it, it felt like he was doing it for attention - making it about him instead of the bride and groom and the sacrament. The interviews I've read have not moved me off of that opinion.
I agree! I thought it was in extremely poor taste, and he really isn't that great of a singer. I love the original song by Leonard Cohen, but it's a rough, sad song - it shouldn't be changed to a wedding song, for heaven sakes! And I also disliked the way he sang the word "Hallelo-o-o-o-o-oia", he sounded like a cow or something! Also he had those sneaky looking eyes....and it was totally inappropriate to do it at the altar! Ha ha I guess I got my rant out.
Old Apr 11, '14, 3:22 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconsSon87 View Post
It would be acceptable outside of Lent...but it was DURING Lent, so two rules were broken.

1. Weddings are to be done with LITTLE ceremony during that season (even though a Nuptial Mass is now allowed, it's still to be cut back on ceremony.)
2. We are NOT to use the "A-word" (or the "H-word") in Lent. AT ALL. ESPECIALLY during the Mass.
Why would it be acceptable at all? There is no provision for singing to the couple at a Nuptial Mass. Even if it's a Nuptial Mass it's still about praising and thanking God. And for the priest to do so is over the top.

He does have a great set of pipes but I really wish he'd kept it for the reception.

Old Apr 11, '14, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
LOVE Leonard Cohen. This is one of his best.

It's a bit odd, tho, seeing a priest singing Cohen. His songs are so...um...primal.
(I feel as though the women giggling off to the side are a bit embarrassed for the priest?)
I think his voice is better than average, but he's singing this one too high.

Why are people so "stunned" if a priest or nun (like the one from the Brit talent show last week) sing well?

Are they supposed to all be bad singers or something?

It's not Cohen. It's the tune of "Hallelujah" with original lyrics composed for the occasion.

I'm certainly not stunned that a priest can sing well. In fact I believe it should be expected that clergy train in the musical arts, because Mass is written to be sung. Singing is central to a cleric's vocation. We have a Divine Command to sing that is more than evident in Sacred Scripture. If a priest reaches seminary and can't sing his way out of a paper bag, then that is a critical deficiency which needs to be addressed. He should arrange for voice lessons or at least sit in with the choir and get a feel for how music is performed in order that he may do it reverently and joyfully in the context of the Sacred Liturgy.

I think Eastern Christian clergy are much better prepared to sing than Latin Church clergy. I think a larger emphasis is placed on this in formation, and clergy who sing well are well-regarded in the East, because the whole liturgy is sung, it's not optional - at least for Byzantines, I don't have much experience with other Rites.

I went to a superb funeral recently where the priest sang the Psalm, and a capella at that, and I was duly impressed. I think people are impressed, not stunned, when Latin priests can sing well, because it's just not valued enough in seminary or by the laity. And less and less emphasis is being placed on the classical arts in these days, so that the art of corporate singing and the singing of hymns and in harmony is becoming lost at an alarming rate as the older generations die off. Americans are particularly deficient in these skills, and that is why it should be a priority mission for the Church, particularly the laity, to press for a greater appreciation of beauty in art, and a greater emphasis on training and practice of the arts from a very early age, especially the classical arts, so that these don't become lost...arts.

I think that another component that may account for some negative feedback on this is that priests and religious are not regarded in traditional Catholic culture as worthy of a spotlight. They should be respected, certainly, but their job is to blend into the background and make God shine through in all they do, and that usually requires a humble, self-effacing personality to accomplish. When clergy or religious come along who are type-A and outgoing, we are a little taken aback, especially when they do something that is designed to focus the spotlight on themselves and showcase their talent as opposed to being centered on the Lord. This song was not centered on Jesus, it was a sentimental, secular love song to the couple. I don't know the exact comment on the singing nun's talent show song, but it was a pop song by Adele. When clergy and religious have a talent and exploit that talent to gain fame and/or fortune, they should be evangelizing the Gospel, either subtly or overtly, but it must be centered on faith and draw people into the Church, not lead them down a path well-trodden by secular pagan culture. What this priest did, while his talent was impressive, was not suitable for the time and place he did it, and so that is the issue we have with this particular news story. Every case is unique.

I will take this opportunity to plug an excellent album by the Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Los Angeles, called Lean Into the Wind. It is joyous, playful, faithful, reverent, and holy. It runs a wide gamut of musical styles, so there is something for everyone in it. It was released on the Feast of the Annunciation and I was honored to purchase it at a special pre-sale at my diocesan Men's Conference, from a real life Carmelite sister, and I was equally honored to hear Sister Regina Marie Gorman speak on the topic of feminity and the relationship of men to our daughters, wives, and mothers. She finished the talk with a meditation on the title track of this CD, and the whole thing left an unforgettable mark on my soul that will last a long time. Please consider patronizing these sisters and support them in their mission.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News