Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 3, '05, 5:05 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Laying Hands

We've all seen the TV shows where a preacher lays his hands on someone and they fall over healed of whatever ailed them.

Recently, my sister told me of a Catholic Priest that travels around and does this. She and my Mother both said they went to him and he "laid hands" on them. They claimed to have felt the Holy Spirit. I got concerned because I've never heard of this in the Catholic Church, only in the "tent Christian" community.

Now, I've been Catholic all my life. Went to Catholic school. My kids are in Catholic school. I go to Church almost every Sunday (can't say I haven't missed any ). I've never heard of the laying of hands in Catholicism. I had also never heard of Tongues (asked in another thread).

I grew up in an mostly Irish community. Deeply entrenched in the Catholic Faith. Is it possible that some of these practices are not common with some areas of the World? Or just parts of the U.S.?

I'm only asking because I find it strange that I've never heard of these things. Even my sister and Mother had never heard of laying of hands in the Catholic Faith until they moved away.

Just wondering.

Ar son an Teaghlagh, Le Dia .

Tiocfaidh Ár Lá

A Warrior's heart repairs itself
Old Dec 3, '05, 5:14 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Laying Hands

dozens of threads here on the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, just do a search on tongues, healing, or charismatic. for books and materials from authentic Catholic Charismatic priests involved in this spirituality and ministry, look for Fr. Robert DeGrandis and Fr. George Montague, both orthodox, both involved in the Charismatic Renewal for years. Another is Fr. Michael Scanlan, TOR, chancellor of Franciscan U of Steubenville. There are others of course, but these three are known to be reliable and orthodox.

this movement within the Catholic Church began in the 1960s at a prayer meeting in a Catholic group and Duquesne University, spread first through college campus ministries and prayer groups, then in parishes. Cursillo among Hispanic congregations is related but not necessarily the same thing as charismatic movement, but does involve release of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Like anything else, abuses crept in at times and places. Fr. Montague in particular documents the difference between authentic Catholic charismatic spirituality and the fundamentalist pentecostal movements which began in the 19th century in the Americas.
If you wish to learn more look for a Life in the Spirit Seminar in your diocese, check with the diocesan office of liturgy to make sure the presenters are approved and attend.
Old Dec 3, '05, 6:05 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pira114
We've all seen the TV shows where a preacher lays his hands on someone and they fall over healed of whatever ailed them.

Recently, my sister told me of a Catholic Priest that travels around and does this. She and my Mother both said they went to him and he "laid hands" on them. They claimed to have felt the Holy Spirit. I got concerned because I've never heard of this in the Catholic Church, only in the "tent Christian" community.

Now, I've been Catholic all my life. Went to Catholic school. My kids are in Catholic school. I go to Church almost every Sunday (can't say I haven't missed any ). I've never heard of the laying of hands in Catholicism. I had also never heard of Tongues (asked in another thread).

I grew up in an mostly Irish community. Deeply entrenched in the Catholic Faith. Is it possible that some of these practices are not common with some areas of the World? Or just parts of the U.S.?

I'm only asking because I find it strange that I've never heard of these things. Even my sister and Mother had never heard of laying of hands in the Catholic Faith until they moved away.

Just wondering.
"The demons have also the following trick. They cry out the names of those whom they know to have none of the merits of holiness and to possess none of the fruits of the spirit. They pretend to be burnt up by the merits of such people, and to take flight from the bodies of the possessed … "Fake Christs, and false prophets will rise up, and they will perform great signs and wonders so that if possible even the chosen will be led into error." (Mt. 24:24) (St. John Cassian, Conferences, XV, ch.1)

Old Dec 3, '05, 10:33 am

Dear Pira,

Quote:
I have a problem with these shows, but I will not condemn what I do not know for certain. It seems this is what some call being "slain in the Spirit," as the Lord ministers healing to them. What is communicated to the viewer is that it must always happen that particular way, or else healing will not occur. To that which I know, I can reply with certainty - that is not true in many cases of healing.

Healing may be transmitted with merely a vocal command, as Jesus did at times. It may occur with anointing with holy oil, as we read occurred in the life of Blessed Andre in Canada, who sent the oil home to be used by the sick. It may occur through laying a hand on the ill person, but they do not necessarily have to fall over. Some are healed through united prayer over a long period of time -- gradually.

There are so many different ways of healing, and we cannot confine the Holy Spirit's methods to say it must always be a certain way. He is the one who guides the person who has been given this gift.

Carole
Old Dec 3, '05, 11:14 am

Send a message via AIM to totustuusmaria

Many Saints have experienced something akin to being "slain in the Spirit" from time to time. That doesn't mean at all that most of the phenomena that we see surrounding us is genuinely from God. As far as the priest who goes around and lays hands on people, healing ministry is traditionally done by the laying on of hands, and the Church has never condemned blessing or prayers over people with the laying on of hands. We don't have to accept what men like this are doing, but we should also realize that it falls under the jurisdiction of Christian Freedom.
Old Dec 3, '05, 12:30 pm

Religion: I am a Catholic!!

I have been to a healing mass once before. When the priest laid his hands on a person they fell slain in the spirit. I too found this strange. Having been a Catholic all my life, I had never seen such a thing.

When the priest prayed over me I did not fall back like the others. I basically felt nothing. The priest tried several times. He got frustrated with me and said that I was fighting it. What did he want me to do? Did he want me to pretend? I am not into pretending, so I refused to react to something I didn't feel.
Old Dec 3, '05, 1:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn
I have been to a healing mass once before. When the priest laid his hands on a person they fell slain in the spirit. I too found this strange. Having been a Catholic all my life, I had never seen such a thing.

When the priest prayed over me I did not fall back like the others. I basically felt nothing. The priest tried several times. He got frustrated with me and said that I was fighting it. What did he want me to do? Did he want me to pretend? I am not into pretending, so I refused to react to something I didn't feel.
Well then obviously you must be resisting. Don't you know that when you are in these sort of proceedings you are supposed to be slain in the spirit ?? Why, you are probably possessed , get thee to an exorcist quick!!

Actually the whole getting slain thing has really gotten out of hand as has a lot of this pseudo charismatic stuff that is going on.
In these getting slain scenarios the one administering the slaying, the vessel of the Holy Spirit as it were, is channelling the Holy Spirit through him. Of course he is going to get testy if you don't respond. It calls his whole "gift" into question. See, you have to go along with the program.

Believe me, the Holy Spirit is a lot stronger than you, me and anybody else on this forum. If He wanted you to feel His presence, you would. don't worry you would..
Old Dec 3, '05, 2:12 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

I have been to numerous charismatic Masses, seminars, prayer groups, praise and worship services and healing services, although I would not call myself a charismatic Catholic and that is not central to my spirituality. I have been to many healing services; one prominent Church here has one weekly, another monthly. I have often witnessed people who are being prayed over falling down (being slain in the spirit), and often witness people being prayed over just standing or sitting.

Never, ever, in over 18 years experience have I ever seen anyone at a healing service, or any other charistmatic service, criticized for not exhibiting this, or any other outward evidence of the charismatic gifts, such as tongues. I have witnessed people claiming to have certain gifts being gently chided by the presider or priest for inappropriate claims or exhibitions of the so-called gifts.

I have never been told during the numerous times I myself have been prayed over and exhibited no overt reaction (I was slain in the spirit only once, and it was completely unexpected and involuntary, also very brief and unexciting) that I was "fighting it" or not behaving properly.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments