Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 7, '05, 5:06 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Better to spill your seed...?

I was talking with a Catholic friend of mine about how the Church's view is that masturbation is a mortal sin (soldiers have a tendency to openly discuss things others may consider taboo ). He agreed that this was indeed the Church's teaching, but he went on to say, "Yes, but it also says it is better to spill your seed in the belly of a whore than spill it on the ground." I was unable to find this passage in the Bible, and I was wondering if the Catholic Church ever taught anything resembling this. A Protestant friend had mentioned the same thing earlier. Neither one of them are very religious, and I have a feeling this is some sort of "urban legend." My understanding is that both acts are wrong, as they take place outside of intercourse between a husband and wife.

I apologize if this question is a bit too explicit for the forum, and I assure you all I have no desire to offend anyone. I was just surprised by what he said, and I wondered if there was any basis for it whatsoever. Thank you and God bless!
Old Dec 7, '05, 6:04 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Better to spill your seed...?

I have heard the phrase before, but have never encountered it in the Bible. As I recall it was in a Newman Club discussion [50 years ago]. I suspect that it is from one of the Church Fathers, but don't have any leads to offer.
Old Dec 7, '05, 6:08 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic as the day is long...

Urban Legend. No such saying.

God Bless,
RyanL

Free Catholic MP3s:
http://catholicaudio.blogspot.com
"Faith comes by hearing..."

Old Dec 7, '05, 8:04 pm

Religion: Episcopalian ( former RC)

Many years ago, before I came into the Church, I used to have an Old Dakes Bible. They had a listing of common quotes that were NOT in the Bible. That was one of them.

“Our Lord sends the crosses; we do not have to invent them.“ Padre Pio

Old Dec 8, '05, 2:54 am

Thanks! Now I can turn my attention to things of greater importance...
Old Dec 8, '05, 3:19 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Is it possible that it may come from one of the Deuterocanonical works? The 'Blue-Letter Bible' link is based off of the KJV, and doesn't seem to use the Deuterocanonicals...

This also doesn't answer whether it may be from some writing of one of the Church Fathers...

-St. Isidore of Seville (AD 560-AD 636)
Old Dec 8, '05, 3:35 am

That is true...Hmmhh...
Old Dec 8, '05, 3:24 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanL
Urban Legend. No such saying.

God Bless,
RyanL
It is not clear whether, or how far, they looked beyond the Bible.
Old Dec 8, '05, 5:13 pm

It would, however, be consistent with the thoughts of the Scholastics like St. Thomas Aquinas, not that I'd necessarily agree with that.

I, however, do think that masturbation is worse than fornicating with a girlfriend or boyfriend.
Old Dec 8, '05, 9:20 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to batteddy

Quote:
My understanding is that both acts are wrong, as they take place outside of intercourse between a husband and wife.
Both acts are wrong, but masturbation is worse than prostitution IF you don't use artificial contraception with the prostitute AND you don't take into account factors like addiction and all that stuff discussed in the catechism about pastoral care of masturbation. Prostitution is more wrong if you use contraception, because that is basically just masturbating with another person's body.

But premarital sex is still "natural" from a Scholastic perspective. It is wrong because it is not between a husband and wife, but from the perspective of Natural Law...it is still the rightly ordered sex act toward procreation by the physical union of a man and a woman.

Acts which spill the seed non-procreatively (gay sex acts, bestiality, masturbation, contraception)...are worse than a natural but premarital sex act.
Old Dec 9, '05, 12:17 am
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

Belly of a whore doesn't even make sense. Then again maybe it does if you're sick enough.

From my vantage point here about 10 miles south of Park City, where BTK stalked but did not attack my dear SIL, I might have a skewed view.

I heard (but did not watch on TV) that Dennis Rader did sometimes "spill seed" on his victims before he left them. For some reason "on the belly of a whore" just doesn't sound like the moral high ground.

I'd say better to leave this non-teaching alone, with wide berth.

Some Catholics say practically anything, it seems, about masturbation -- wouldn't surprise me if many believe this sort of stuff.

Alan
Old Dec 9, '05, 2:51 am

Well, not to keep harping on this subject, but I think the idea behind the saying is that it is better to have sexual intercourse with a prostitute than to masturbate. The term "in the belly of a whore," probably refers to the womb, the natural, ordered destination of "seed." Whether this is true or not is debatable from my point of view, for the simple reasons that the consequences of sleeping with a prostitute could be more severe than the consequences of masturbation. In any case, both are sins, so to argue extensively about which is worse serves no purpose.
Old Dec 9, '05, 5:38 am

Saying that one grave sin is better than another is sort of like David Berkowitz bragging that he wasn't as bad a serial killer as John Wayne Gacy or Ted Bundy.

-- Mark L. Chance.
Help throw the bums out. Don't vote for a single incumbent in 2010.
Old Dec 9, '05, 6:25 am

Default Interesting question: What if a priest...

What would you think of a priest masturbates to avoid fornicating? Or a nun or friar? What about a homosexual?

I don't know if it's an urban legend, but I've always thought that there was a principle that goes something like "Of two evils, choose the smallest" or something.
Old Dec 9, '05, 6:44 am

Either the guy was just joking or inventing that up or misheard some quote.
If they call the head of the house Beelzebul, how much more the members of His household! Matt. [10:25b]

ADVENT
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture