Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 12, '05, 4:10 am
Book Club Member

Religion: in RCIA
Default Who was present at Pentecost?

I want to make it clear up front that I do not support the ordination of women into the priesthood. Now that that's out of the way...

I've heard many times that no women were present at Pentecost in Acts, and that this is one of the reasons women are not ordained. In order to support this claim, people state that only the 12 apostles were present at Pentecost. I had always interpreted the passage to say that all the disciples, both the apostles and the other followers of Christ, were gathered together. If the absence of women suggested anything to me, it would suggest that women can't receive the Holy Spirit at all, not that they just can't be priests. I don't think any orthodox Catholic would argue that women can't receive the Holy Spirit, as by Biblical standards, this would exclude them from eternal life. Can someone please help me understand the Catholic position here?
Old Dec 12, '05, 4:15 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Who was present at Pentecost?

the coming of the Holy Spirit upon the disciples at Pentecost was their sacrament of Confirmation. The sacrament of ordination for the apostles had already been accomplished by Jesus Christ himself, as had his appointment of Peter as head of the Church. So the issue of women's ordination does not arise.

Old Dec 12, '05, 4:39 am
Book Club Member

Religion: in RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie
the coming of the Holy Spirit upon the disciples at Pentecost was their sacrament of Confirmation. The sacrament of ordination for the apostles had already been accomplished by Jesus Christ himself, as had his appointment of Peter as head of the Church. So the issue of women's ordination does not arise.

That's always been my view of it as well. I'm just puzzled as to why some insist that there were no women being "confirmed" at Pentecost and was wondering whether there was something I was missing in my interpretation of events. (As I go through the process of entering the Church, I want to make sure my beliefs are in line with Church teaching. In order to do that, I have to find out what the Church actually teaches. That's why I sometimes ask such weird questions here.)
Old Dec 12, '05, 4:46 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina P.
That's always been my view of it as well. I'm just puzzled as to why some insist that there were no women being "confirmed" at Pentecost .)
since I never heard this claim, and you give no source, I can't say, other than suggest you read and pray with the account in Acts. Certainly Our Lady is always depicted in icons and traditional artistic renderings of the event.
Old Dec 12, '05, 4:50 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina P.
That's always been my view of it as well. I'm just puzzled as to why some insist that there were no women being "confirmed" at Pentecost and was wondering whether there was something I was missing in my interpretation of events. (As I go through the process of entering the Church, I want to make sure my beliefs are in line with Church teaching. In order to do that, I have to find out what the Church actually teaches. That's why I sometimes ask such weird questions here.)
That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. When they were all together with one mind in constant prayer with Mary . . . "about one-hundred and twenty persons . . ." (duh). (My personal question about this passage is wondering how many rooms there were in Jerusalem that would accommodate 120 people.)
Old Dec 12, '05, 6:14 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to johnshelby

i thought there were women at Pentecost..

:-)
Old Dec 12, '05, 6:45 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercygate
That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. When they were all together with one mind in constant prayer with Mary . . . "about one-hundred and twenty persons . . ." (duh). (My personal question about this passage is wondering how many rooms there were in Jerusalem that would accommodate 120 people.)
Acts 1:13-14 doesn't mention the 120 but names the people, apostles, Mary, relatives and other women who were praying in the upper room.

Acts 1:15-26 stands up in the midst of the brothers (no women mentioned here) and 120 is stated as being in the one place (not the upper room or one room). Maybe it refers to the house as a whole which is mentioned when the Spirit comes.

Acts 2:1-4 states they were all in one place and the wind filled the entire house when the tongues of fire appeared.

I don't think these three events took place on one day but on different days so it is not exactly clear who received the Holy Spirit, although it can probably be assumed that all the foregoing persons mentioned were present if they were staying in that house.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics