Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 24, '04, 5:55 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Mark of the Beast

What is the stand or teaching or official belief of the Catholic church on the end times and the mark of the Beast, I hear of so many things and can't know whats correct and not, I've read the bible about this in the Gospels but it's seems to not explain things well enough to understand them, especially the mark of the beast.
Old Jul 24, '04, 6:53 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mark of the Beast

A "mark" is a sign. A tattoo or brand shows membership or ownership. People use emblems (another type of "mark") in sports to show an affiliation with a team. A "mark" is a symbol. People to claim affiliation with countries, religions, and political movements using flags, crosses, hammers, stars, and animals.

Officials and professionals are "marked" with badges of office, certifications and degrees. Heroes are marked with medals.

The same mark can mean different things to different people. Some people adorn themselves with markings and claim membership to groups or cultures that they do not belong.

Some people claim membership with a mark and behave in a way inconsistent with that marks affiliation. An example of that is the "fish" bumper sticker. The car has a mark of a Christian (a fish). The driver (it is assumed) claims membership in that group. The driver is expected to act in accordance with that group.

If the drive is rude and inconsiderate the observer now questions the accuracy of the "mark".

Sometimes times the true heroes never receive a medal. Sometimes the only "mark" is of sweat, blood and tears. Not every deserving mother receives flowers on motherís day.

The true "marks" of a person or membership, is in actions.

What "marks" or signs show you that some one belongs to the devil?

What "marks" show that someone belongs to the Lord?

It is by their actions.

The bible tradition has it that God put a mark (or tattoo) on Cain. This "mark" told people the Cain belongs to Satan. Cain by his actions rejected membership to God before any "mark" was placed on him.

Donít waste time trying to find some hidden clue to what the "Mark of the Beast" looks like. (The mark is 666, which is imperfection.) Look to behaviors and actions, especially your own imperfect behaviors, because they are the true marks.

Old Jul 24, '04, 10:27 am

Many have also pointed to the mark 666, as being a reference to the Emperor Nero. Keep in mind, the ancients used their letters as numbers (witness the Roman Numeral System).

If you add up in Hebrew the letters in Nero's Greek name (nrwn qsr), you get 666. However, when the early Christians began translating Revelations into Latin, Nero's name (now- nrw qsr) changed also. Now in Hebrew, without the final Greek -n, it added up to 616, which is exactly what you find in the early translations as the "number of the beast." That pretty well locks it, I think. Our early brothers knew exactly to whom they were referring. It was none other than the Emperor who had fed their brethren to lions and used them as human torches. It is not necessarily a reference to a future person at all.
Old Jul 24, '04, 12:11 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy_dave
What is the stand or teaching or official belief of the Catholic church on the end times and the mark of the Beast, I hear of so many things and can't know whats correct and not, I've read the bible about this in the Gospels but it's seems to not explain things well enough to understand them, especially the mark of the beast.
To answer your question directly, there is NO official teaching by the Catholic Church on what the "mark of the beast" mentioned in the Book of Revelation actually is. There has been lots of theories and speculation down through the centuries, but the Church has not embraced any one of these. My guess is that, when the time comes, faithful Catholics will recognize this mark for what it is and refuse to receive it.

If you want hear a good (and thorough) treatment on the Book of Revelation, save up for Scott Hahn multi-tape series, available at www.saintjoe.com.

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Old Jul 27, '04, 8:46 pm

Don't be too hard on yourself, Revelation is the most difficult book of the Bible to intrepret and the easiest to interpret incorrectly.

The mark is placed on the hand (what you physically do) and the forehead (whatyou think)...what you think and what you do will more represent Satan than Christ.

One of Satan's greatest weapons is calling that which is blatantly sinful, good. To acknowledge a sinful act as something acceptable in society, (homosexuality, abortion) is taking a giant leap towards owning this mark.

Thanks
Old Jul 27, '04, 9:29 pm
Banned

Obeying God's commandments is how you love the Father and Jesus with all your heart with all your soul, with all your strength and with all your mind. Upon Christ's second coming will you have Jesus' and the Father's commandments written on your heart, mind, strength and soul or will the devil have left his mark on you?

NAB DEU 11:18
"Therefore, take these words of mine into your heart and soul. Bind them at your wrist as a sign, and let them be a pendant on your forehead. Teach them to your children, speaking of them at home and abroad, whether you are busy or at rest. And write them on the doorposts or your houses and on your gates, so that, as long as the heavens are above the earth, you and your children may live on in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers he would give them." "For if you are careful to observe all these commandments I enjoin on you, loving the LORD, your God, and following his ways exactly, and holding fast to him,..."

A man's strength in battle or at work is in his arm, wrist and hand. To bind God's law on your wrist is to write it on your strength. When Christ returns it is His and the Father's will that he will be looking for as the mark on the strength of your arm, on the forehead of your mind, in your heart, and on your soul.

NAB REV 14:9
A third angel followed the others and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast or its image, or accepts its mark on his forehead or hand, he too will drink the wine of God's wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger. He will be tormented in burning sulphur before the Lamb, and the smoke of their torment shall rise forever and ever. There shall be no relief day or night for those who worship the beast or its image or accept the mark of its name." This is what sustains the holy ones, who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus. I heard a voice from heaven say to me: "write this down: Happy now are the dead who die in the Lord!" The Spirit added, "Yes, they shall find rest from their labors, for their good works accompany them."
Will you write Jesus' and the Father's law on your heart, strength, mind and soul, or, will you allow Satan to put his mark on your heart, strength, mind and soul.DEU 6:8 DEU 11:18 EXO 13:9 EXO 13:16 REV 13:16 REV 14:1 REV 14:9 REV 20:4 REV 22:4

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
http://www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com
Old Jul 27, '04, 10:02 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to jkdrum

Some people think the mark of the beast will be a barcode or a microchip placed on the hand. I really donít believe that at all. I donít think any of those things would cause me to lose my salvation by being imprinted with that. Rather I think the mark of the beast has to do with your willingness to turn away from God. When we are baptized and confirmed it leaves an ďindullable markĒ on your soul. That is being marked as one of Gods own. Perhaps people who are not marked by God through these sacraments are marked by sin. Itís that mark or stain of sin which would make you a follower of the beast.

Or then again maybe the mark of the beast is a stain from a jelly donut. I dunno.
Josh
Old Dec 24, '04, 11:54 pm

Post Re: Mark of the Beast

Hey, the Pope has this interpretation and is the ONLY one with the authority to confirm this revealed truth. www.istheBeast.com IHS Daryl
Old Dec 25, '04, 8:39 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to dumspirospero Send a message via Yahoo to dumspirospero

Nice article...and I can tell a lot of time went into it...but I am telling you, the "beast" is not the world wide web....the WWW is a tool the beast will use to persuade some of the elect to turn away from God....the "beast" or "Son of Perdition" is supposed to be the Anti-Christ, which I believe he will be like Christ in appearance and power....yet entirely evil as opposed to Christ being entirely good...it will be the similarities of appearance and power which will blind the elect and have them worship him instead of Christ....he will be empowered by Satan and able to perform miracles....people will think he is divine when truly he is evil and will lead their souls to eternal damnation.

\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbreese
Hey, the Pope has this interpretation and is the ONLY one with the authority to confirm this revealed truth. www.istheBeast.com IHS Daryl
Old Dec 25, '04, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Buck
A "mark" is a sign. A tattoo or brand shows membership or ownership. People use emblems (another type of "mark") in sports to show an affiliation with a team. A "mark" is a symbol. People to claim affiliation with countries, religions, and political movements using flags, crosses, hammers, stars, and animals.

Officials and professionals are "marked" with badges of office, certifications and degrees. Heroes are marked with medals.

The same mark can mean different things to different people. Some people adorn themselves with markings and claim membership to groups or cultures that they do not belong.

Some people claim membership with a mark and behave in a way inconsistent with that marks affiliation. An example of that is the "fish" bumper sticker. The car has a mark of a Christian (a fish). The driver (it is assumed) claims membership in that group. The driver is expected to act in accordance with that group.

If the drive is rude and inconsiderate the observer now questions the accuracy of the "mark".

Sometimes times the true heroes never receive a medal. Sometimes the only "mark" is of sweat, blood and tears. Not every deserving mother receives flowers on motherís day.

The true "marks" of a person or membership, is in actions.

What "marks" or signs show you that some one belongs to the devil?

What "marks" show that someone belongs to the Lord?

It is by their actions.

The bible tradition has it that God put a mark (or tattoo) on Cain. This "mark" told people the Cain belongs to Satan. Cain by his actions rejected membership to God before any "mark" was placed on him.

Donít waste time trying to find some hidden clue to what the "Mark of the Beast" looks like. (The mark is 666, which is imperfection.) Look to behaviors and actions, especially your own imperfect behaviors, because they are the true marks.

That is, without a doubt, the best post I've ever seen on this board. Very well said, and thank you for saying it.
Old Dec 25, '04, 2:12 pm

It is funny how you go to colege and it's like some forgot Halloween is over. Some want to be cowboys [George Carlin, who I used to like before he started sounding like a grumpy old apostate and before I got more concerned about laughing at some of his humor, not that I'm some kind of holy man now), said something like the closest these people have gotten to a ranch is the toilet at Arby's--laughing]; others Rastas. Some want to look like some post-apocalyptic warrior and others; punks. When the stuff really hits the fan or if danger really presented itself, they'd probably soil themselves. The meek will most likely find themselves being the heros.
Old Dec 28, '04, 5:29 pm

The Mark of the Beast is clearly www., that is covered in detail at www.istheBeast.com Also, the Anti-Christ is identified and explained in detail. No puzzling mystery here. Look for a Papal announcement by World Communications Day, September 30th, 2005. Big Story. IHS Daryl
Old Feb 11, '05, 5:07 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance

As Catholics, we try to read the Scripture in context. Jewish tradition of the time called for devout Jews to wear small boxes on their hand and forehead. They contained small bits of paper with Bible verses on them. These served as reminders and metaphors: they truly had God's Word on their minds. So it is natural that the writer of Revelation would have seen the "mark of the beast" as being put on the places where the Word of God should have been. In other words, people exchanged faith for the beast. When people buy into the world's values, chasing fame, money, power or sex, they are receiving the "mark of the beast." Worrying about numbers in bar codes on food packages is just plain superstition, which is forbidden to Christians.

If we are ever asked to receive an actual "666" mark, literally, we should refuse it, of course. Someone opposed to the Church could try to shake people's faith in that way, and it would be scandalous to receive such a mark, if it was clear. Again, worrying because someone has freckles in three groups of six is just superstition.
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old Feb 20, '05, 10:29 pm

Smile Re: Mark of the Beast

As to the Mark of the Beast, we must first read the last book of the Bible within its historical environment. The emeror was demanding worship, something Christians could not do. The mark of the beast was a mark on a hand or a piece of parchment attesting to the fact that the bearer worshiped at the Emperors shrine. These marks were used to allow the bearer to buy food. No mark, no food. This left Christians in a bind: Worship and eat or not worship and starve. This is the basis of the 'Mark of the Beast', and the choice that Christians had regarding it.
Old Feb 21, '05, 2:01 pm

Religion: Adventist become Catholic (woohoo!)
Smile Re: Mark of the Beast

Speculation that "www" is prophesied in Revelation is unfounded. I'm sorry... but we don't know what the mark of the beast is yet... and the "number of his name" (mentioned in Revelation, originally written in Greek***) would not be an allusion to a Hebrew letter's numeric value arranged in a decimal system such as our arabic numerals are (but which hebrew numerals never were). Furthermore, the "waw" may have alternately been pronounced "vav".

Ultimately, these fantastic claims (though advanced by very sincere individuals seeking Christ's truth) are neither Scriptural, historical, nor Catholic.

Please, prayerfully reconsider the question... sometimes the excitement or fear of the modern world (or the persistence of those advancing these ideas) can breed faith in these kind of speculations... but trust in Christ that He will make all clear to us in time.

Yours in our Lord.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture