Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 16, '05, 7:31 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Latter-day Saint
Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaCeleste
Default Choosing a Patron Saint

Hey Y'all!

I question especially for the converts

In preperation for the Easter Vigil, I've started the process of researching Saints and in all honesty, am finding the whole thing just a little overwhelming. There's SO many great saints to pick from....how does one chose just one, maybe two?

For those of you who have been through the process, do you have any tidbits of advice...plans of attack? Oh, and I do have the "Dictionary of Saints" and know a number of great websites that deal with Patron Saints.

Thanks!

~Jess

Old Dec 16, '05, 8:27 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Choosing a Patron Saint

When I was choosing my saint for confirmation, I looked for the one who's story really spoke to me, the one that leaped off the page. I ended up picking St. Helena, the mother of the Emperor Constantine. As you're doing your research, really pray about it and see who stands out to you. Congratulations on coming into the Church!!!!
Old Dec 16, '05, 3:36 pm

Religion: Catholic Christian of the Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora77
When I was choosing my saint for confirmation, I looked for the one who's story really spoke to me, the one that leaped off the page. I ended up picking St. Helena, the mother of the Emperor Constantine. As you're doing your research, really pray about it and see who stands out to you. Congratulations on coming into the Church!!!!
I don't really know why I chose St Ursula, but I seem to have spent my whole life instructing/teaching others although I am not a teacher.

Also, I don't quite know how it happened but St Anthony of Padua chose ME.He is a saint I feel very close to.
Old Dec 16, '05, 3:50 pm
Prayer Warrior

I'm a Scout...so St. George is my homeboy!!

-ACEGC

Lumen in Caelo
Old Dec 16, '05, 9:17 pm

In high school, I picked Catherine of Siena because I thought her picture in my children's saint book was pretty. Now of course, I'm so impressed with my "luck." Since all saints are perfectly righteous, you can't go wrong! I have always wandered if we really pick our patrons or if we get a nudge from that saint who has adopted us.
Old Dec 16, '05, 11:51 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Lightbulb Re: Choosing a Patron Saint

Besides what others have already said here, I'd say that whichever patron saint you choose, even if just because his or her feast happens on a date important to you, like your birthday, or just because you like the name,
try to know more about him or her. Get aquainted with his or her life story, try to find out if he or she left writings behind and read them, etc.

Although I chose St. Augustine because after getting to know him through his Confessions I decided to get confirmed, almost 20 years ago, I still look at his example in my life and still find new parallels to draw from.

Old Dec 19, '05, 6:30 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Latter-day Saint
Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaCeleste

Thanks to all who offered insights to my question

Merry Christmas!

~J
Old Dec 19, '05, 6:34 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Jessica is the feminine form of Jesse, father of David, and hence a patriarch who are traditional considered to be among the saints. Celeste is one of a number of names that refer to heaven, heavenly beings: angels, or heavenly attributes of Mary. Other examples are Aurora, or Amber (which is a reference to materials used in building the Temple, a type of heaven). There is also a St. Celestine.
Old Dec 19, '05, 7:35 pm

Religion: Non-Denominational
Smile Re: Choosing a Patron Saint

Quote:
I don't really know why I chose St Ursula, but I seem to have spent my whole life instructing/teaching others although I am not a teacher.

Also, I don't quite know how it happened but St Anthony of Padua chose ME.He is a saint I feel very close to.
I'm not a confirmed Catholic (YET!) but as I am seeking God's will for myself, He led me to St. Dymphna.

I'm no expert on the subject by any means, but it seems to me that if you seek God, take time for study of the lives of the Saints, you'll find yours.

Seeker
Old Dec 19, '05, 8:04 pm

Sorry can't help you, we didn't have to do this. My daughter who was just confirmed was also not required to do this.

scared
Old Dec 19, '05, 9:19 pm

Send a message via MSN to silverwings_88 Send a message via Yahoo to silverwings_88

Oh no, you don't choose the Saints, the Saints choose you!

Finding one that strikes you can be a winner alone. Once you're confirmed with that Saint, they become like your godparent in heaven.

I'm a male, but I chose a female Blessed because she is inspiring. Now that I chose her, I find that her name truly is what is reflected in my goal in life: to maintain purity (Kateri) and to set things in order / to move things before one's self / to feel one's way with one's hands (Tekakwitha).

Choose one that seems right for you. Because of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, I have opened myself to Native Spirituality and awareness of Nature in tune with Christianity, and have become compassionate for the First Nations peoples.

It doesn't matter if your Saint is male or female; as long as they can touch you in their special way, and that they become a good role model, you just can never go wrong with any Saint!

Mind you, I'm a revert from this Easter
Old Dec 19, '05, 9:44 pm

Religion: Non-Denominational
Thumbs up Re: Choosing a Patron Saint

Quote:
silverwings_88
Oh no, you don't choose the Saints, the Saints choose you!

Finding one that strikes you can be a winner alone. Once you're confirmed with that Saint, they become like your godparent in heaven.
You know, maybe it was my Protestant up bringing, but that maybe correct too. Nice thought. Thanks!

Seeker
Old Dec 19, '05, 10:21 pm

Send a message via MSN to silverwings_88 Send a message via Yahoo to silverwings_88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker1965
You know, maybe it was my Protestant up bringing, but that maybe correct too. Nice thought. Thanks!

Seeker
Well, I was a Pentecostal for a few months before I reverted back to Catholicism, so upon RCIA and Charismatic Prayer group, I came across quite Protestant terms, such as referring to the Saints in Heaven as Prayer Warriors, or Purgatory as Burning in God's Love.

But of course, it does make sense anyways; by choosing a Confirmation Saint, they become a guardian in Heaven for you, a godparent in Confirmation as you had an earthly godparent in Baptism (if you were baptised Catholic).

That's why when I took my Saint, I took Confirmation seriously, because that Saint name becomes part of my new identity as a Catholic Christian adult. Even now, I colloquially write my name as Kevyn Scott Kateri Calanza Bello.

Oh, and you're welcome! I tend to blab on ...
Old Dec 20, '05, 12:18 am

Religion: Becoming Catholic; mixed background

I am also in the process of preparing for Easter Vigil, and I have to say that although I did and am still doing some research on saints, I feel like I have been picked by one: St. Monica, who was St. Augustine's mother, and prayed for many years for her son and huband to be converted. She keeps turning up when I read about saints. Keep an eye out for those saints that really touch you as you look, and don't be afraid to look deeper at one or two that really grab your attention, even if you are not sure why.

I thought I was weird, seeing St. Monica a bit of everywhere, until a friend shared with me that you do not necesarily pick a saint, but they often seem to pick you first, so it is okay to be sensitive to the saint(s) and follow your instincts in this.

Happy reading!
Old Nov 27, '09, 9:41 pm

Religion: Lasped Catholic

Unfortunately when I was a young Catholic I didn't take my faith quite a seriously, but I think the Saint I chose is rather fitting. I'm a girl that loves art (whether it be prose or pencils) so I chose St. Luke, the patron saint of artists. Furthermore, I've always looked forward to reading from his Gospel every Advent--his prose mixed with the Holy Spirit is inspiring, just comes alive. In my later years, I was drawn to religious art and iconography like Our Lady of Perpetual Help and I now have a wooden one of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in my room. I still do wish I was more prayerful about...

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality