Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 20, '05, 12:56 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert 2005
Default Is Going to Confession during Advent necessary?

I see that my parish has added a slew of confession times and is encouraging everyone to take advantage of this. Our Priest spoke of the importance of confession and suggested that we all make it a priority this season.

Is it a requirement (or even strongly suggested) that we go during this time.. even if it's been only about a month since I went last. I don't think I've commited any mortal sins since.. but I'll go again if I'm supposed to?

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, '05, 1:15 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is Going to Confession during Advent necessary?

To the best of my knowledge there is no requirement for confession during Advent unless there is something new. The only requirement I am familiar with is for Lent if you have unresolved mortal sin.

Good to see you again Carol Marie. I was wondering how that pregnancy was going. I'm going to guess that your running regime has been pretty much curtailed at this point.

God bless and have a blessed Christmas.

"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world." Mother Teresa
Old Dec 20, '05, 1:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjohn
To the best of my knowledge there is no requirement for confession during Advent unless there is something new. The only requirement I am familiar with is for Lent if you have unresolved mortal sin.

Good to see you again Carol Marie. I was wondering how that pregnancy was going. I'm going to guess that your running regime has been pretty much curtailed at this point.

God bless and have a blessed Christmas.
Hey, thanks for the info! And yes.. my running did come to a halt. Walking too. Did you see the movie March of the Penguins? I've got their waddle down pat.

Merry Christmas to you!
CM
Old Dec 20, '05, 1:38 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol marie
Hey, thanks for the info! And yes.. my running did come to a halt. Walking too. Did you see the movie March of the Penguins? I've got their waddle down pat.

Merry Christmas to you!
CM
ROFL at that image.

Since my daughter had twins back in June, I remember that walk well. Even though they were 7 weeks early she's very petite and certainly had the waddle down pat.

Peace,

"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world." Mother Teresa
Old Dec 20, '05, 2:38 pm

I'm guessing some parishes do this (or an Advent "Penance Service")

-for the convenience of people who are not regular mass goers so they can come on Christmas in a state of grace
-for any others who want to be sure to celebrate the birth of our Lord as worthily as possible --a clean soul being one element
Old Dec 20, '05, 3:11 pm

No requirement.

However, it is fitting with the season of advent being one of anticipation and preparation. Remember it is preparation for the Second coming/last judgement as well as regular Christmas.
Old Dec 20, '05, 5:17 pm

How about that lovely verse from the hymn, "On Jordan's Bank:"

Then cleansed be every breast from sin
Make straight the way of God within
And let each heart prepare a home
Where such a mighty Guest may come!

It sums up for me why I would want to go to confession in Advent, even though it is not technically required.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Dec 20, '05, 8:52 pm

My parish is also offering a number of extra times for Confession this week. My pastor has really been preaching that anyone who needs to go SHOULD go so they can celebrate Christmas in a state of grace.

I took advantage of these extra times, and went for the first time in way too long tonight. It was a wonderful relief to confess, receive absolution, and make myself right with the Lord for Christmas.

Although not required during Advent, I highly recommend going during this season of penitence.

That verse from on Jordan's Bank really hits home with me right now.

Old Dec 21, '05, 6:51 am

Religion: Latin Catholic who loves Eastern Catholicism too!

If you don't HAVE to, you don't HAVE to go more than once a year to confess serious sin. But I don't think it hurts to go on a regular basis, even just to confess venial sins (as long as the line isn't TOO long... if you have something that can be resolved with a Perfect Act of Contrition and there are a million people there who need the Sacrament, then maybe wait till it quiets down.). Remember, Advent IS a penitential season. The East calls this Phillip's Fast after St. Phillip the Apostle, where people fast and abstain like during Lent.
Old Dec 21, '05, 7:10 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyT92679
If you don't HAVE to, you don't HAVE to go more than once a year to confess serious sin.
You have to go at least once each year, during Lent, and ANY time one has incurred serious sin.

So once a year is acceptable, as long as you don't commit any serious sin in the meantime.

Quote:
But I don't think it hurts to go on a regular basis, even just to confess venial sins (as long as the line isn't TOO long... .
It's actually very beneficial to go on a regular basis. Like any Sacrament, Reconcilliation confers Grace. It not only removes sin, it fortifies one to keep from sinning in the future.

Pope John Paul II went weekly.
Old Dec 21, '05, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan
You have to go at least once each year, during Lent, and ANY time one has incurred serious sin.

So once a year is acceptable, as long as you don't commit any serious sin in the meantime.

It's actually very beneficial to go on a regular basis. Like any Sacrament, Reconcilliation confers Grace. It not only removes sin, it fortifies one to keep from sinning in the future.

Pope John Paul II went weekly.
So what would be a good goal? Say once a month? How often do most go. OK - rephrase.. according to my Priest MOST don't go at all... but of those who DO go on a regular basis.. how often is that?
Old Dec 21, '05, 4:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol marie
So what would be a good goal? Say once a month? How often do most go. OK - rephrase.. according to my Priest MOST don't go at all... but of those who DO go on a regular basis.. how often is that?
My priest told me that if someone is struggling with an habitual mortal sin, then weekly confession. If one is not struggling with a mortal sin, then every 2-3 weeks. Not going for more than a month robs you of graces that will help you avoid mortal sin. So monthly would be the absolute minimum. I personally shoot for every three weeks, but I have gone as long as five weeks.
Old Dec 21, '05, 4:59 pm

The precept of the church reads "You shall confess your sins at least once a year." CCC2042

There is no specification as to when. Generally people do it in the penitential seasons of Lent or Advent, but you can choose any time of the year.

If you have not gone this year, probably better in Advent than in the time between the 25th and 31st.
Old Dec 21, '05, 5:09 pm

It's not essential, but going to confession during Advent is a good thing. I went Sunday and feel much more prepared for Christmas than ever before, if that makes sense. As for how often, I'm on the every 6-8 week schedule right now. No particular reason, other than that's how it's been working out.
Old Dec 21, '05, 5:49 pm

So it sounds like we all go every so often. I wonder who my Priest meant when he said "practically NO ONE goes to confession anymore." He sounded quite sad about that.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments