Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 20, '05, 2:59 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Protestants Whats wrong with this prayer? = Rosary

I would like to know from our fundamental friends what is wrong with these words that we say in the Rosary, we open it with the Lords Prayer or Our Father, we recite the Hail Mary's while we meditate on the life of Jesus and Mary, we close with the Glory be, and the Mother of our Lord asked us to pray the O my Jesus prayer afer each decade at Fatima.

Our Father

Our Father, who art in Heaven; Hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory be to the Father

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

After each decade say the following prayer requested by the Blessed Virgin Mary at Fatima:

"O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who have most need of your mercy."
Old Dec 20, '05, 3:21 pm

Default Re: Protestants Whats wrong with this prayer? = Rosary

Well, I'm Catholic, and I can tell you, that part of their problem is the invoking of Marys intercession in "Holy Mary Mother of God, Pray for us sinners, now....."

They would reply, that she is dead, and she cannot hear our prayers....or better yet, we are talking to spirits, which the bible "plainly" tells us is wrong, etc...
Old Dec 20, '05, 3:29 pm

Contextually speaking, where does it say that She's dead, and we cannot ask for the intercession of those who are not with us

Old Dec 20, '05, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by imroc
Contextually speaking, where does it say that She's dead, and we cannot ask for the intercession of those who are not with us
well, like I said, I'm Catholic, but to answer your question, scripture does not say that she is dead, lol. As a Catholic, I would say that she is difinitely alive, as are all who are in Christ. God is God of the living, not the dead!!!

but hey, if I was a fundamentalist, I'd say, why do you be part of a website that devotes itself to the Irish? You should only be devoting yourself to God I wonder if examples like these show Fundamentalis Protestants how absurb they sound when they say things like this, like it's either/or rather than both/and, and how devoting yourself to anything good doesn't take away from the Glory of God.
Old Dec 20, '05, 5:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic--returned 11/2008 Formerly LDS
Send a message via Yahoo to flameburns623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in DC
Hail Mary
For most Protestants the problems start right there. Prayer in Protestant understanding is not merely petition but also worship. Creatures are NOT to be worshipped.

Quote:
full of grace,
There are reams of arguments on both sides about this. Protestants do not believe one can be 'full of grace'. Grace is not a substance, like water, which one can have much of or little of. Grace is a verb not a noun: it is 'favor'. Hence the preference of most Protestant translators for 'highly-favored one'.

Quote:
Holy Mary,
There is not holy except God.

Quote:
Mother of God,
She is not God's mother. God has neither mother nor father. She is properly called 'theotokos', or 'bearer of God' insofar as Christ was both True God and True Man. But Mary was not the originator or source of Christ's divinity, merely the bearer of it.

Quote:
pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
She can't hear the request. She is dead--either in Hell or in Heaven. If she is in Hell she is neither inclined to pray for anyone on earth nor would her prayers be efficacious. If she is in Heaven she is beyond any knowledge of what is happening on Earth, indeed such an awareness would mar her beatific vision of God, to Whom alone she should be giving praise and glory.

Not trying to be rude but the question was asked.
Let us adore now, you and I.

G. W. Russell, "Prayer"
Old Dec 20, '05, 5:53 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Milliardo Send a message via Yahoo to Milliardo

I actually replied to the arguments raised by flameburns in another forum (and no, it's not flameburns I was in discussion with, though the same arguments were raised): http://www.igma.tv/forum/viewtopic.p...9617&start=105 It's the second post from the top.

Old Dec 20, '05, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar905
well, like I said, I'm Catholic, but to answer your question, scripture does not say that she is dead, lol. As a Catholic, I would say that she is difinitely alive, as are all who are in Christ. God is God of the living, not the dead!!!

but hey, if I was a fundamentalist, I'd say, why do you be part of a website that devotes itself to the Irish? You should only be devoting yourself to God I wonder if examples like these show Fundamentalis Protestants how absurb they sound when they say things like this, like it's either/or rather than both/and, and how devoting yourself to anything good doesn't take away from the Glory of God.
Oh, I wasn't lashing back to you, I was adding my bit....
sorry if I came across the wrong way...

Oh, and by the way, that's pretty good with the devotion to the Irish . Stop by and click the message boards link, you'll see a Catholicism and Faith Forum. It's kinda dead in there, but I'm having fun.

Old Dec 20, '05, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameburns623
For most Protestants the problems start right there. Prayer in Protestant understanding is not merely petition but also worship. Creatures are NOT to be worshipped.
Actually I did some research on the term worship. For the sake of confusion, I wouldn't use the modern term worship when talking to a protestant, but it's actually a deeper term that can be used in this matter.

Quote:
There are reams of arguments on both sides about this. Protestants do not believe one can be 'full of grace'. Grace is not a substance, like water, which one can have much of or little of. Grace is a verb not a noun: it is 'favor'. Hence the preference of most Protestant translators for 'highly-favored one.

She is not God's mother. God has neither mother nor father. She is properly called 'theotokos', or 'bearer of God' insofar as Christ was both True God and True Man. But Mary was not the originator or source of Christ's divinity, merely the bearer of it.

She can't hear the request. She is dead--either in Hell or in Heaven. If she is in Hell she is neither inclined to pray for anyone on earth nor would her prayers be efficacious. If she is in Heaven she is beyond any knowledge of what is happening on Earth, indeed such an awareness would mar her beatific vision of God, to Whom alone she should be giving praise and glory.

Not trying to be rude but the question was asked.

Old Dec 20, '05, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by imroc
Oh, I wasn't lashing back to you, I was adding my bit....
sorry if I came across the wrong way...

Oh, and by the way, that's pretty good with the devotion to the Irish . Stop by and click the message boards link, you'll see a Catholicism and Faith Forum. It's kinda dead in there, but I'm having fun.
nah, never took it that way!!
Old Dec 20, '05, 7:28 pm

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameburns623
Thats interesting, but if the angel Gabriel greeted Mary this way, does that mean that Gabriel was worshipping Mary?

As for praying, praying is communication, and all Christians have done for 2000 years is ask those in heaven to pray for us, since it is obvious in scripture that they are still praying to God and worshipping him, and that they are well aware of what is happening on earth!!!

Quote:
There are reams of arguments on both sides about this. Protestants do not believe one can be 'full of grace'. Grace is not a substance, like water, which one can have much of or little of. Grace is a verb not a noun: it is 'favor'. Hence the preference of most Protestant translators for 'highly-favored one'.
Well, the exact translation is "Full of grace"...and you are wrong, one can have an abundance of graces bestowed on them, and one can have less grace, although all agree that it is good to be in a state of grace period.

Quote:
What? There are degree's of Holyness, JohnPaul the Great was holy, our current pope is Holy, Mother Teresa was holy, etc, whats your issue with this?

Quote:
Is your mother the source of only your body, or did she also create your soul? Mary as "Mother of God", says nothing of her being the originator or source of Christ's divinity, but confirms Jesus being true man and true God. This was dealt at the council of Ephesus in 451AD, where heretics argued against the nature of Christ. You are in danger of falling into the same error by your stubborness to misconstrue the meaning of "Mother of God".

Quote:

Not trying to be rude but the question was asked
Not rude at all, that is what you believe. Scripture is against you here, but your comment as to her being dead, is dead wrong, pun intended. All in Christ is alive, and those in heaven, more alive than ever, and their prayers "being perfectly righteous", availeth much, and God is God of the living, not the dead. Scripture also shows that those in heaven know full well what is happening on earth.

I wonder, in reading your post, have you ever read scripture?
Old Dec 21, '05, 3:29 am

Angelic Psalter
Old Dec 21, '05, 8:38 am

Religion: Baptist

As you can see by my signature I am protestant. I have no problem with the Our Father Prayer or the Glory to God, or even the prayer of Fatima.
I do not have issue with most of the Hail Mary.

"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus."
This is straight from the Bible - no protestant should have any problems with this part

"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen."

The Holy part is what trips us up. We do not refer to anyone as holy except God. God alone is holy. Also, we do not believe in the intercessory prayer of saints on behalf of living or dead.
We could spend hours debating why, but there are many threads devoted to that. I do not think Catholics worship Mary like Christ. But I do disagree with having Mary pray on your behalf as an intercessory.
The last line is the only thing a protestant would have issue with.

Now, aren't there several parts to the Hail Mary. I thought it was longer than this. I thought there was a section that started "Hail Holy Queen enthroned above".
Old Dec 21, '05, 12:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellysue
...But I do disagree with having Mary pray on your behalf as an intercessory.

Now, aren't there several parts to the Hail Mary. I thought it was longer than this. I thought there was a section that started "Hail Holy Queen enthroned above".
First, I would have to ask why, if it's not okay to ask those in Heaven to pray for us, is it okay for those still here on Earth to pray for us?

Second, that's all of the Hail Mary; however, there is a prayer at the end of the rosary called the Hail, Holy Queen.
Old Dec 21, '05, 12:44 pm
Banned

Religion: The Holy Orthodox Church

Luke 1(Douay-Rheims Bible)

26 And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth, 27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. 28 And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

41 And it came to pass, that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: 42 And she cried out with a loud voice, and said: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. 43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

The last part is asking our Blessed Mother to pray for us. She is not dead—she is alive in Christ.
Old Dec 21, '05, 1:00 pm

Religion: Catholic (I'm a convert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellysue
The Holy part is what trips us up. We do not refer to anyone as holy except God. God alone is holy. Also, we do not believe in the intercessory prayer of saints on behalf of living or dead.
We could spend hours debating why, but there are many threads devoted to that. I do not think Catholics worship Mary like Christ. But I do disagree with having Mary pray on your behalf as an intercessory.

Besides your problems with intercessory prayer, which as you said, there are many threads devoted to this, your problems with only God being Holy is kind of puzzeling. Do you not think that God's holiness shines through his creations? Calling someone else "holy", reflects Christ within them, thus God's holiness.

Was the Old Ark of the Covenant Holy? Please answer this.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions