Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 21, '05, 1:26 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Mary and ladybugs?

A friend on another forum asked if any Catholics knew of a connection between the Virgin Mary and ladybugs. I haven't heard of it, has anyone else here? She mentioned something about the seven spots on a ladybug representing the seven sorrows of our Blessed Mother. Can fill in the rest? Thanks!
Old Dec 21, '05, 2:05 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Default Re: Mary and ladybugs?

never heard of it... I will look it up later though... hmmm

Laura
Old Dec 21, '05, 3:10 pm

Religion: Episcopalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress
A friend on another forum asked if any Catholics knew of a connection between the Virgin Mary and ladybugs. I haven't heard of it, has anyone else here? She mentioned something about the seven spots on a ladybug representing the seven sorrows of our Blessed Mother. Can fill in the rest? Thanks!
Don't the spots on ladybugs vary? I heard that it related to how old it was, don't know how true that is though.

"In my lifetime we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush...John F. Kennedy to Al Gore. If this is evolution, I believe that in 12 years, we'll be voting for plants."
~Lewis Black
Old Dec 21, '05, 8:53 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Well, I was looking and found

Quote:

During the Middle Ages, swarms of pests were destroying crops, so farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus, for help. Soon after, ladybugs came and ate the bad pests and saved the crops. The farmers called these bugs, "Beetles of Our Lady" and they eventually became known as "ladybugs".
The seven dotted ones are apparently the most common lady bugs too.

I will keep looking
Laura
Old Dec 21, '05, 8:58 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I found this too

Quote:
Q. How did the ladybug get its name?
A. In Europe, during the Middle Ages, insects were destroying the crops, so the Catholic farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary for help. Soon the Ladybugs came, ate the plant-destroying pests and saved the crops! The farmers began calling the ladybugs "The Beetles of Our Lady", and they eventually became known as "Lady Beetles"! The red wings represented the Virgin's cloak and the black spots represented her joys and sorrows. They didn't differentiate between males and females
Quote:
Lady Bugs

Ladybugs are also called Lady Beetles (since they are actually a member of the beetle family). Think it's a funny name for a bug? Well, the story goes that in the Middle Ages aphids were destroying everybody's crops. So the farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary for help. A while later the farmers started to notice these cute little bugs that were eating the aphids and saving their crops. So they called them Lady Bugs (after "Our Lady" Mary).

Ladybugs are born pale yellow or orange with no spots. But after 24 hours the colors become brighter and the spots appear. Most ladybugs are red or orangish with black spots, but some are black with red spots. The spotting and bright colors warn other bugs about the ladybug's best defense: it squirts stinky, bitter yellow fluid from under its legs to send away any predators!

There are more than 5000 different species of ladybugs in the world. And ladybugs are really helpful in gardens and yards because they eat a lot of other bugs that could ruin your plants. Ladybugs can eat up to 500 aphids in one day! Ladybugs have six legs and a round body. But they come in a bunch of different colors and shapes and sizes!

When you go out to look for ladybugs, look on leaves or trees. Be careful with them, though. It's better to just let them crawl into your hand instead of trying to pick them up. Have fun checking out these cute little critters!
Those should help too!

Laura
Old Dec 21, '05, 10:02 pm
Book Club Member

Wow, great detective work! Thanks!
Old Dec 22, '05, 9:23 am
Book Club Member

I LOVE this information! My 5 y/o daughter has a very strong connection (obsession?) with ladybugs...ladybug backpacks, slippers, knick-knacks, pillow, piggy-bank, bathtoys, etc. Even this last Tuesday on her birthday, she had a ladybug cake & balloons for her party. I love to think that with every ladybug item comes a reminder of Our Lady. Too Cool! Thank you so much...

Sara

Mom-to-Ladybug-Lover, Ellyssa

Old Dec 22, '05, 11:04 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbabe1
I LOVE this information! My 5 y/o daughter has a very strong connection (obsession?) with ladybugs...ladybug backpacks, slippers, knick-knacks, pillow, piggy-bank, bathtoys, etc. Even this last Tuesday on her birthday, she had a ladybug cake & balloons for her party. I love to think that with every ladybug item comes a reminder of Our Lady. Too Cool! Thank you so much...

Sara

Mom-to-Ladybug-Lover, Ellyssa

you are very welcome!

Laura
Old Dec 26, '12, 6:54 am
Trial Membership

YES! The Virgin Mary and ladybug are connected. On the ladybug, the spots represent the seven sorrows of mary. The red is the blood Jesus would shed.

I prayed to the Virgin Mary a long time ...all of a sudden i saw ladybugs all the time.
Went to an old dictionary.. looked up ladybug.. said "The Virgin Mary"

How about that.
Old Dec 26, '12, 10:17 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: 100% Catholic Christian (Latin Rite)

My grandmother taught me the story about Ladybugs many years ago. I think of her when I find one on me. Miss her.
Old Dec 26, '12, 8:55 pm

Good to recognize the larva too - they are a bit scary looking if you don't know what they are, but they eat tons of aphids, and mature into adult ladybugs who eat tons more aphids. When I see these guys in my back yard in May it's a sign that the tide is about to turn against the aphids.

Old Dec 28, '12, 6:53 am

In German: Marienkäfer

Literally: "St. Mary's beetle"
Old Feb 5, '13, 9:47 pm

Ladybugs, or ladybird beetles, got their name about 500 years ago in Europe. It seems that farmers were having big trouble with insects called aphids (AY-fids). The aphids were sucking the juices from the farmers' grape vines. So the farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary for help. (People of some religions believe that Mary is the Mother of God.)
Later, lots of little red beetles showed up and ate the aphids. The farmers thought their prayers had been answered. So they named the helpful beetles in honor of Mary, who is also known as "Our Lady."

In Europe, during the Middle Ages, insects were destroying the crops, so the Catholic farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary for help. Soon the Ladybugs came, ate the plant-destroying pests and saved the crops! The farmers began calling the ladybugs "The Beetles of Our Lady", and they eventually became known as "Lady Beetles"! The red wings represented the Virgin's cloak and the black spots represented her joys and sorrows. They didn't differentiate between males and females
Old Feb 7, '13, 8:02 am

Plant yarrow to encourage them to stick around, since they nest in it.

I never had any luck with it, maybe not enough sun.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence