Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 29, '05, 8:42 am

Religion: soon to be catholic
Default wedding during lent

would it be inappropriate for a wedding to be during lent or should it be rescheduled?
Old Dec 29, '05, 8:55 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: wedding during lent

It's fine. Although a penetantal season, there are still joyous things that happen in lent, babies are born, flowers bloom, etc. If that is the best time for you to be married, don't worry about it.

My aunt had to schedule a Friday wedding in lent, and recieved a dispensation to serve meat.

GOD's RAINBOW
Old Dec 29, '05, 8:56 am

Religion: Catholic

It is my understanding that a Catholic is forbidden from marrying during a penitential season, i.e. Advent or Lent.

"We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are." -Calvin, 4/17/88
Old Dec 29, '05, 8:57 am

Send a message via AIM to wabrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyacht
It is my understanding that a Catholic is forbidden from marrying during a penitential season, i.e. Advent or Lent.
I'm getting married March 11th and my parish has no problems with it.
Old Dec 29, '05, 9:06 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
I had never heard this, but there are many things we are not taught today.

I'd check with ask an apologist" to be sure.

GOD's RAINBOW
Old Dec 29, '05, 9:10 am

Yes, I would "ask an apologist." I searched the forums on this topic and couldn't find an answer, so I googled "catholic marriage lent." What I found was more a discouragement than actual forbiddance, and a couple of websites mentioned that one must take the liturgical season into account if one marries during Lent. They gave the example of having very few or no flowers.

"We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are." -Calvin, 4/17/88
Old Dec 29, '05, 9:16 am

I was married during lent last year, March 5, 2005. It was difficult to choose that date because we did need special permission from the church where we had the ceremony, which happened to be a Cathedral. From what I knew, we were the only wedding during Lent there... because it was the only time we could get married without having to wait an additional 2-3 years. I have heard of many other couples getting married in their parish churches during lent without a problem, as long as you do recognize that your anniversary will likely be during this time every year. The best thing to do is to talk to your priest about it to figure out what is best for you.

Oh! and yes... we were not allowed to have any flowers in the church. This ended up not being a problem for me because not only was the church beautiful on its own, but it also cut down on cost.
Old Dec 29, '05, 11:41 am

Religion: soon to be catholic

okay, i askked the apologist.
Old Dec 29, '05, 11:50 am

I was married during advent, my best friend during lent. It is perfectly acceptable, enjoy the wedding and congratulations!

Quote:

"What you do to the least of man ......"

Proud to be one of Mary's Legionaries
Old Dec 29, '05, 11:52 am

Now the flowers part is true, we were asked not to overly decorate and simple flowers and pew bows.

Quote:
Yes, I would "ask an apologist." I searched the forums on this topic and couldn't find an answer, so I googled "catholic marriage lent." What I found was more a discouragement than actual forbiddance, and a couple of websites mentioned that one must take the liturgical season into account if one marries during Lent. They gave the example of having very few or no flowers.

"What you do to the least of man ......"

Proud to be one of Mary's Legionaries
Old Dec 29, '05, 12:17 pm
Banned

The priest at my mom's church won't marry anyone during lent. Two years ago he refused to marry a family friend during lent--she moved her wedding to the Catholic church her mom attends instead.
Old Dec 29, '05, 2:03 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic

"Date (season)
There are no legal restrictions on when the Rite of Marriage may be celebrated, with the exception of the Triduum, as long as the various guidelines specific to the particular parish are respected. When the Rite of Marriage includes a Mass there are limitations as to dates and readings. Few parishes celebrate weddings on Sundays, but a few policies encourage couples to consider integrating their wedding into the regularly scheduled Sunday Mass to more fully express the support of the parish community (See, for example, Gary, Sioux City, Kansas City/St. Joseph, and Louisville). When a wedding coincides with a major feast the readings for that feast must be respected. Weddings during penitential seasons must respect the church tone and décor appropriate for the season."
http://www.usccb.org/laity/marriage/mpanalysis.shtml

Our own parish does not allow Lenten weddings nor Sunday weddings and neither do the surrounding parishes in our immediate vicinity.
Old Dec 29, '05, 3:16 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarAshly
Now the flowers part is true, we were asked not to overly decorate and simple flowers and pew bows.
My sister got married during Lent too. The priest asked for "no colour decoration" meaning only white flowers/bows etc. I was one of the bridesmaids and we wore a deep shade of purple to match the season.

Gearoidin
Old Dec 29, '05, 4:50 pm

I think it's a local or diocesan thing. I know that when we were picking out our date, it was made very clear that our parish does not schedule weddings during Advent or Lent. So we chose a Saturday during the Easter season, and took advantage of the flowers already in the church.
Old Dec 29, '05, 10:18 pm

Send a message via AIM to Firebug Send a message via MSN to Firebug Send a message via Yahoo to Firebug

Well, I remember reading in the Baltimore Catechism, that it is allowed, just so long as it's not a lavish one.

Firebug's myspace

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life