Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 26, '04, 7:52 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Cradle, active, Roman Catholic
Default Between Adam/Eve, Noah, Jesus

Does anyone know how many years passed between Adam and Eve and the obliteration of mankind except for Noah?

Then how many years from Noah to Jesus' birth?

It has crossed my mind this weekend how sad we Christians tend to be toward the Jews who rejected Christ, not only while He walked among them - and came specifically for them - but even afterward.

While it has been difficult for us to imagine how people could not recognize such goodness right in front of them, it occurs to me that many of us Catholics are no better....

Many have accepted Christ, His relationship to His Father, His sacrifice for us....

But many of us reject His teachings...so much so that they turn away from Catholicism or if they stay, they disregard the teachings of the Pope.

If the Pope is Christ's representative walking the earth among us, as if He were still with us, then many Catholics are doing just as the Jews did back then...rejecting Christ as the Truth.

So 2004 years after the birth of Christ we're still rejecting Him....How many years were the Jews waiting for Him to arrive?
I suppose that would be from Abraham's time to Jesus' birth then.
But I'm still curious as to how many years passed between Adam/Eve and Noah, if anyone knows.

Thanks.
Old Jul 26, '04, 8:59 am

Religion: Theravadan Buddhist
Default Re: Between Adam/Eve, Noah, Jesus

Gen 5: Adam lived a total of 930 years. Taken from the chronology, Noah was born 1056 years after Adam was created. So 126 years after Adam died, Noah was born. (I hope my math is right)

Here's how I figured it:
Adam - age 130 - Seth born
Seth - age 105 - Enos born
Enos - age 90 - Canan born
Canan - age 70 - Mahalaleel born
Mahalaleel - age 65 - Jared born
Jared - age 162 - Enoch born
Enoch - age 65 - Methuselah born
Methusaleh - age 187 - Lamech born - Adam is 874
Adam - age 900 died - Lamech is 26
Lamech - age 182 - Noah born
Old Jul 26, '04, 9:08 am

Religion: Catholic

Many times the years in the Genesis are theological, not actual.
No one knows when Adam and Eve were created, only God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.
Old Jul 26, '04, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmom
Yup, that's why I didn't even attempt to give years, just ages. The only years we know is the time between the Babylonian Captivity and the birth of Jesus, and even then, scholars can't agree on a difinitive.
Old Jul 26, '04, 12:55 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Cradle, active, Roman Catholic

So we don't know how long man waited for the coming of Christ (at least from the Noah's arc story on, since that would have been the re-population of the earth at that time).

Technically, though, I guess man began waiting for Christ after Yahweh introduced Himself to Moses, huh? Because until that meeting we didn't know who Yahweh was, right?

Can we narrow down the number of years from Moses' time then?
Old Jul 26, '04, 3:10 pm

Honestly, I haven't a clue. There is so much more about the Bible that I need to learn.

As for trying to narrow down the Exodus, Biblical scholars can't even agree on a guesstimate of the date when it could've taken place. Egyptian history isn't all that helpful either, because often, if a subsequent pharoah didn't like his predicessor, he'd ordered the heiroglyphs to be changed. Looks like historical revisionism isn't a modern thing.
Old Jul 26, '04, 11:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmom
What is a "theological year"? It sounds like it might be the apparent length of a really boring homily.

The problem with determining the length of time from Adam & Eve to Noah or to Jesus is that the genealogies are not complete. If you compare the various genealogies in the Bible, some will contain people the others don't. We don't know that any of them are complete.
Old Jul 27, '04, 4:16 pm

Thumbs up Re: Between Adam/Eve, Noah, Jesus

If you do the Math from Adam's begining to the flood you get 1656 years and Noah was 600 years old at the time of the flood. The time of Noah's death was 2006 years after the creation of Adam.
If you follow the time line in the St. Joseph Cathlic Bible Jesus came 3873 years after the creation of Adam. This is calculated by the times of the age of each man when his son was born. So from birth to birth the time is calculated because the times are given how old the father was when his son was born.
Many say the Bible is just fables and can not be counted on for facts. I believe this is a insult to God and the Bible itself.
Far to many so called knowledgeable people need to know the God of the Bible then they will have more respect for its author, "God".
He came early the last time, that is to say 127 years before end of the fourth mellenia of Adam's decendents and He said as it was in the days of Noah he will come again. Noah died 2006 years after the first Adam and if the New Adam "Jesus" comes 27 years early, before the 2000th year of the Church it will be 2006 because the Church will be 2000 years old in 2033.
In Genesis 1,27 He created us in His image and in 2,7 He breathed His life into us.
This and much more is written on the landscape of this world.
In the right hand of Michigan in the palm of the hand Lansing are many secrets. Highways 127 and 27 are some of the reasons why the land sings. To the left of Michigan are Highways 31 and 131 this is what you get when you add 4 "the number of the world" to 27 and 127. Between 31 and 131 is highway 37 because in Genesis 3,7 their eyes were open and they saw they were naked. From left to right Highway 46 begins at Apple Ave. There are 46 books in the Old Testament.
To the right of Lansing is Highway 23 that leads to 123 in upper Michigan that leads to Paradise Michgan. If you take 4 from 27 and 127 you get 23 and 123.
In Psalm 23 the Lord is my Shepard and in 123 I look to the heaven to my God as a servant looks to the hands of His Master.
So it is when the power of this world falls away, because to be absent from the body is to be pressent with the Lord.
Last but not least in the thumb of the hand of Michigan is Highway 53 because in Isaiah 53 "Who would have believed what we have heard". God Bless

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence