Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 5, '06, 10:06 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question mystery of faith acclaimation

Does anyone know or may have heard the acclaimation "We remember how you loved us to your death, and we still celebrate ....." ? Is this OK to use in the Mass? Are we to use only what acclaimations are in the Missal? Thanks
Old Jan 5, '06, 10:09 pm

Send a message via AIM to marty1818
Default Re: mystery of faith acclaimation

The four memorial acclaimations found in the missal should be the only ones used.

God Bless,
Matt
Old Jan 5, '06, 10:13 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Opey
Does anyone know or may have heard the acclaimation "We remember how you loved us to your death, and we still celebrate ....." ? Is this OK to use in the Mass? Are we to use only what acclaimations are in the Missal? Thanks
That's that song, isn't it?

"We remember how you loved us, to your death, and still we celebrate, for you are with us here. And we believe that we will see you when you come in your glory, Lord. We remember, we celebrate, we believe!" Then it goes on,"Jesus, Jee-hee-zus, youuuuu are the Lord!", etc? Truly awful.
Old Jan 6, '06, 7:45 am

Cool Re: mystery of faith acclaimation

Actually, for hundreds of years, MYSTERY OF FAITH referred to the Body and Blood of Christ present on the Altar, IT was, and is, the mystery of our Catholic faith.
The New Mass uses Mystery of Faith as an introduction to
"Christ Has Died, Christ Is Risen, Christ will come Again," or some other acclamation, saying, Let us proclaim the mystery of Faith.
Love,
Jaypeeto3
Old Jan 6, '06, 7:50 am
Book Club Member

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKirkLVNV
That's that song, isn't it?

"We remember how you loved us, to your death, and still we celebrate, for you are with us here. And we believe that we will see you when you come in your glory, Lord. We remember, we celebrate, we believe!" Then it goes on,"Jesus, Jee-hee-zus, youuuuu are the Lord!", etc? Truly awful.
I think you're crossing "We Remember" with "Servant Song" . I do stuff like that, too. Or maybe you have a truly disturbed music director. And yes, these shouldn't be substituted for the memorial acclamation. They chose a particularly atrocious one for my daughter's First Communion. It went something like" Jesus died upon the cross . . .Jesus Christ, my Lord, my Savior will come aga-in"

For the record:

We Remember

Quote:
Refrain: We remember how you loved us to your death, and still we celebrate, for you are with us here; and we believe that we will see you when you come in your glory, Lord. We remember, we celebrate, we believe.

1. Here, a million wounded souls are yearning just to touch you and be healed. Gather all your people, and hold them to your heart.

2. Now we recreate your love, we bring the bread and wine to share a meal. Sign of grace and mercy, the presence of the Lord.

3. Christ, the Father's great "Amen" to all the hopes and dreams of every heart. Peace beyond all telling, and freedom from all fear.

4. See the face of Christ revealed in every person standing by your side, gift to one another, and temples of your love.
And that "Jesus, Jee-ee-sus" song:

Quote:
1. What do you want of me, Lord? Where do you want me to serve you? Where can I sing your praises? I am your song. Jesus, Jesus, you are my Lord. Jesus, Jesus, you are the way.

2. I hear you call my name, Lord, and I am moved within me. Your Spirit stirs my deepest self. Sing your songs in me. Jesus, Jesus, you are my Lord. Jesus, Jesus, you are the way.

3. Above, below, and around me, before, behind, and all through me, your Spirit burns deep within me. Fire my life with your love. Jesus, Jesus, be the warmth of my heart. Jesus, Jesus, you are the way.

4. You are the light in my darkness. You are my strength when I'm weary. You give me sight when I'm blinded. Come see for me. Jesus, Jesus, you are my Light. Jesus, Jesus, you are the way.

5. I am your song and servant, singing your praise like Mary. Surrendered to your Spirit, "Let it be done to me." Jesus, Jesus, "Let it be done to me." Jesus, Jesus, you are the way.
Old Jan 6, '06, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Opey
The "We remember.....(etc)" is a hymn, not an acclamation.

The 4 Memorial Acclamations are

"Christ has died,
Christ has risen,
Christ will come again.

Dying you destroyed our death,
rising you restored our life,
Lord Jesus, come in glory.

When we eat this bread and drink this cup,
we proclaim your death, Lord Jesus,
until you come in glory.

Lord, by your cross and resurrection you have come to set us free. You are the Savior of the world"

No one is authorised to change these to something else.

Richard
Old Jan 6, '06, 9:15 am

Religion: Bloody Papist

Even the "Christ has died" acclamation is not truly legitimate, but merely an American (ICEL) innovation. It is not found in the Roman Missal. The Conference of Bishops has recently been discussing its elimination...
Old Jan 6, '06, 12:29 pm

The source of "We remember how you loved us to your death" is given as:

"Marty Haugen, "We Remember," (c) 1980, GIA Publications. All rights reserved."

This is in "Music and the Mass" (David Haas, Liturgy Training Publications, ISBN 1-56854-198-8, pages 82 and 128).

I agree that it should not be used as a memorial acclamation.
Old Jan 6, '06, 3:16 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axolotl
I think you're crossing "We Remember" with "Servant Song" .
I DID confuse the two! Either way, both are horrible and neither is appropriate for the Mysterium Fidei.
Old Jan 6, '06, 3:23 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmiller
Even the "Christ has died" acclamation is not truly legitimate, but merely an American (ICEL) innovation. It is not found in the Roman Missal. The Conference of Bishops has recently been discussing its elimination...
But when sung in a minor key, it can be beautiful. AND it is a "mystery of faith," that "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again." Very austere and stirring. We have, however, given it up for a new Mass, all of the sung parts in Latin. Our Mysterium Fidei is "Salvator mundi, salva nos, qui per crucem et resurecionem, tuam liberasti nos."
Old Jan 6, '06, 5:34 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKirkLVNV
But when sung in a minor key, it can be beautiful. AND it is a "mystery of faith," that "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again." Very austere and stirring. We have, however, given it up for a new Mass, all of the sung parts in Latin. Our Mysterium Fidei is "Salvator mundi, salva nos, qui per crucem et resurecionem, tuam liberasti nos."
Show off !

I remember when the guitar masses started in my childhood and we would sing...
"Christ has died, alleluia
Chirst is risen, all-e-lu-i-aaaa
Christ will come a-gain, all-e-lui-a ay-ay-lu-ia!"

And people wonder why we lost so many Catholics in the 70's!!!
Old Jan 6, '06, 8:11 pm

This is not my favorite to say the least either!
We are about to have a mission and the whole theme was going to be based around this and it is being used incorrectly. Oh well. Do people look at you funny when you correct or inform them that something isn't right in the Mass? I get the "what tree did you fall out of" or better yet....the priest totally avoids us.
Jimmy Aikin had something when he said to "pick you battle" and that if you correct every little thing then soon you will be ignored. But the fact that they were basing their Mission on something that wasn't OK to begin with....well?
Old Jan 6, '06, 9:08 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

I hear a lot on here about Marty Haugen. Just who is he and why are his songs so distasteful to Catholics?
When you are before the altar believe that there are troops of angels and archangels trembling with respect before the sovereign Master of Heaven and earth. Therefore, when you are in church, be there in silence, fear, and veneration.

- Saint John Chrysostom

Salve Regina Blog
Old Jan 6, '06, 9:16 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedicgirl
I hear a lot on here about Marty Haugen. Just who is he and why are his songs so distasteful to Catholics?
His songs are just distasteful, period. Trite and insipid. Catholics just notice it more.

I don't know much about Marty personally. I doubt that HE is distateful, trite and insipid. Just his music. He's probably a nice guy.

I've read that he is a Lutheran and I know that you can't drop a GIA or OCP hymnal without having a page open to one of his songs.

Our music director loves his stuff. It's played all the time for Mass at our church. Makes me gag. Especially "We Remember".

Old Jan 7, '06, 4:28 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBob
His songs are just distasteful, period. Trite and insipid. Catholics just notice it more.

I don't know much about Marty personally. I doubt that HE is distateful, trite and insipid. Just his music. He's probably a nice guy.

I've read that he is a Lutheran and I know that you can't drop a GIA or OCP hymnal without having a page open to one of his songs.

Our music director loves his stuff. It's played all the time for Mass at our church. Makes me gag. Especially "We Remember".
Oh my Goodness, check this out!

http://www.mgilleland.com/music/moratorium.htm

Note Jimmy Akin at the bottom!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments