Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 7, '06, 5:41 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Good "Catholic" Movies?

Can anyone recommend good movies (old or new) with a Catholic theme? I've recently watched Going My Way and Song of Bernadette. Would like to find some others.

Also, what about good movies of Jesus' life? Not the Passion of the Christ, please. I think I'm too squeamish to watch it but I did watch the Gospel of John and enjoyed it.

Thanks in advance.

Amie
Old Jan 7, '06, 5:46 pm

Default Re: Good "Catholic" Movies?

Oh, you really need to see the passion. It is the love story of all love stories. It will change you . You will cry tears of love as have never been shed before, I bet.
-Brother son sister moon, is a movie about St. Francis of Assisi.
-the life of Padre Pio
Old Jan 7, '06, 6:40 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert 2005

There was a movie put out not too long ago (maybe last year?) called The Mondovo Miracle (or something to that effect..?) Anyhow, it was really good.. we rented it from Blockbuster but our public library has it also. It's a town's reaction to a cruicifix that appears to be "bleeding." I won't give away the ending... but we really liked it.

Also.. Entertaining Angels.. The Dorothy Day Story. Excellent true story.
(suitable for older teens & adults)
Old Jan 7, '06, 6:50 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

I believe the Therese Movie is coming out on DVD in February of this year. I am planning on getting it myself. Here is the link:
http://www.lukefilms.com/giftshop/
Of course, that mean I will need to also get a DVD player.

PF
Old Jan 7, '06, 7:12 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Also, you should see "The Mission" and "Oscar", I loved them both. Oscar is about Bishop Oscar Romero of El Salvador. I saw it as a protestant, and would love to see it again, now, as a Catholic.

Niether one is as light as "Going My Way" and if you're too squeamish for "The Passion" then maybe "The Mission" isn't for you either...

Wife of one,
Mother of six.
Old Jan 8, '06, 10:33 am
Suspended

Order a catalog from Ignatius Press. They have a ton of orthodox Catholic DVDs for sale.

I haven't seen the Chronicles of Narnia yet, but my sister said it was pretty good. Although not a "Catholic" movie, it definitely is a good Christian fantasy movie from what I hear. The same goes for the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Old Jan 8, '06, 10:55 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Brain Send a message via AIM to Brain

How about "The Cardinal"
Old Jan 8, '06, 5:16 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol marie
There was a movie put out not too long ago (maybe last year?) called The Mondovo Miracle (or something to that effect..?) Anyhow, it was really good.. we rented it from Blockbuster but our public library has it
I second that...The Maldonado Miracle (not sure on spelling here, either Carol Marie ) was sooooo good.

Return to Me, a recent mainstream movie, had some subtle Catholic themes to it, about a sweet courtship centered around a Catholic Irish-Italian family and their restaurant. I thought it's attitude toward marriage, and the relationships between older and younger generations was very good. Great soundtrack too!

Karol: The Man Who Became Pope (appeared on Hallmark channel back in August) was very good. I don't know if it's available to buy yet though.

Grandma's Bread...great little film on The Eucharist, hard too find though.

And, please watch The Passion.
Old Jan 8, '06, 5:21 pm

Jesus of Nazareth

Life is beautiful

The Fourth Wiseman

The Scarlet and the Black

Assisi the underground

The Sound of Music

The count of Monte Cristo
All others listed excellent movies
Old Jan 8, '06, 7:07 pm

There is another one about St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. It is in English and it stars Lorne Green and a few other famous actors. However I cannot remember the name of the the movie .
Old Jan 8, '06, 7:31 pm

What? No one has mentioned A Man for All Seasons???? This is one of my all-time favorite movies about St. Thomas Moore. The performances are some of the best and the final courtroom drama ... chills. I want to be that man.

It is too bad you are squeamish because I can recommend some really good stuff. I know everybody thinks I am crazy for this, but Kill Bill vols I and II are an excellent pro-life story about false, worldly love, true love and redemption.

I mean, what could be better than watching Uma slicing body parts of some 80 or more bad guys in order to avenge the death of her unborn child? ... Chills.

A bit higher on the gore scale would be Event Horizon which unfortunately has not been given a respectable treatment in DVD. This Gothic sci-fi horror nightmare evokes the selfless death of Christ in a way no other movie has (if he descended to the dead, then perhaps the suffering did not exactly end on the Cross -- think about it).

Not to mention the tie between Catholic theology concerning the "existence" of evil (ie, it is a lack of, or a hole created in good) and the natural phenomena of a black hole (yes, I understand that all created nature is inherently good, but a created black hole is an excellent metaphor for evil). This movie is rated R for gratuitous gore, buckets and buckets of blood, and some naughty bits visible on a chick but it is not titillating because her eyes are gouged out.

There is also a mini-series that ran on cable in Japan called in English "Now and Then, Here and There." This may be hard to find but it is one of the best anime features ever made. Yes, it is violent, but death is sweet release for these characters. The story involves a young Japanese boy being whisked away to an alternate universe where children are forced to serve in the army of a maniac who is all shades of 20th century dictators but especially Kim Jong Il.

The best thing about it is that it shows what a world overrun by the culture of death would really be like: underpopulated, depleted, savage, deceitful, militaristic, misogynist, and base -- and how important it is to hope against all odds. The young boy who is the story's protagonist is able to do what he does because he never lets any exterior forces like pain, fear, and the ridicule of his peers move him to sin against hope. This is an excellent example for teens to see.

The other strong point of the story is that all of the characters are given proper treatment. There are no two-dimensional characters here. Even the main villain emotes a strange sense of pity at the end. It does have some parts that would be abnormally difficult to watch, however. Also, I have never watched it in English (though the DVDs sold in the States have English as a selectable language) so I can only say the Japanese voice acting is excellent. It is available from U.S. Manga Corps.

Also, if you get the extended version of Lord of the Rings, it is more like getting six good Catholic movies.

Did you know Shakespeare was Catholic? There I just doubled your movie library! My all time fav is Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing (some brief naughty bits at the very beginning obviously not in the original Shakespeare version). Second would be Hamlet.

I actually did not like Brother Son, Sister Moon because of the overhanded treatment of Rome at the end of the film. The bishops were a bit too conniving and no mention was made of the pope's dream foretelling St. Francis' coming -- which he was looking forward to despite the movie's depiction.

I would recommend Signs by Shylaman but since seeing his Village, I have been unable to watch any of his other movies.

This is a personal problem -- I cannot bear open anti-Catholicism or simpletons. Actors and directors who expose this part of their nature instantly ruin their movies for me.

For example, I probably will never watch Spiderman II again (I own the DVD) because Alfred Molina is going to play the evil Opus Dei bishop in the upcoming DaVinci Code movie. Shame!
Old Jan 8, '06, 7:35 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Good "Catholic" Movies?

I really like Keeping the Faith (Touchstone Pictures, 2000; Ben Stiller, Edward Norton, Jenna Elfman; MPAA PG-13; USCCB A-IV)

tee
Old Jan 8, '06, 7:49 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Good "Catholic" Movies?

Also:

The Trouble With Angels (Columbia, 1966; Rosalind Russell, Hayley Mills, June Harding; MPAA PG, USCCB A-I)

and to a lesser extent:

Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows (Columbia 1968; Rosalind Russell, Stella Stevens; MPAA G, USCCB A-I)

tee
Old Jan 8, '06, 8:24 pm

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Post Re: Good "Catholic" Movies?

The Exorcist. Sure it's a little scary, but come on. It's a movie about two priests saving a little girl from a demon.

Slightly off topic, what's with Mel Gibson's character in the movie Signs? Is he a Catholic priest or not? He has kids and a wife. I couldn't really tell while watching it.
Old Jan 8, '06, 8:54 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Brain Send a message via AIM to Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie
The Exorcist. Sure it's a little scary, but come on. It's a movie about two priests saving a little girl from a demon.

Slightly off topic, what's with Mel Gibson's character in the movie Signs? Is he a Catholic priest or not? He has kids and a wife. I couldn't really tell while watching it.
He's an episcopalian priest, but he gave up his ministry becuase of a tragedy... more would ruin the movie.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media