Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 10, '06, 11:52 am
Inactive Member

Religion: catholic
Default differance between catholic & Episcopal church

Hi could someone please advise what the differance between catholic church and the episcopl church is
Old Jan 10, '06, 12:01 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Default Re: differance between catholic & Episcopal church

one difference is that the Episcopal church doesn't recognize the pope but rather the king of England as head of the church ( I think...)

Laura
Old Jan 10, '06, 12:28 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Along with rejecting the papacy, Anglicans reject transubstantiation as taught by the Catholic Church. Also, there are various sects within Anglicanism from High Church Anglicans whose beliefs are very close to those of the Catholic Church to middle of the road parishes that may or may not be orthodox in their teaching and practice to low church parishes that more resemble Evangelical Christians in beliefs and practice.
Old Jan 10, '06, 1:10 pm

Religion: Catholic - Converted in 2002/2003

I am 100% serious about this. At a place I used to work there was an Episcopalian minister that would come in. He was so friendly and approachable. He knew I was Catholic and we would chit-chat about religion , but nothing too heavy. One day I told him I really did not know much about his church and I asked him what some of the differences were.

He said to me: "We are very similar to the Catholic Church. Just with more fun, more ritual, and a lot less guilt."

That was how he summed it up for me.

"Go Godward; thou wilt find a road."-Russian Proverb

crnest.blogspot.com
Old Jan 10, '06, 1:16 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

No women clergy here.

Not supposed to have gay clergy (were working on that one at the moment)

We answer to the Pope.

We believe in the literal presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

I'd say those are the biggies. There *are* a lot of similarities, especially with the more Traditional Anglicans. Some go so far as to call themselves Anglo-Catholics.

-St. Isidore of Seville (AD 560-AD 636)
Old Jan 10, '06, 1:34 pm

Religion: Protestant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobynb
I am 100% serious about this. At a place I used to work there was an Episcopalian minister that would come in. He was so friendly and approachable. He knew I was Catholic and we would chit-chat about religion , but nothing too heavy. One day I told him I really did not know much about his church and I asked him what some of the differences were.

He said to me: "We are very similar to the Catholic Church. Just with more fun, more ritual, and a lot less guilt."

That was how he summed it up for me.
Episcopalians sometimes call themselves "Catholic Lite"
BH
Old Jan 10, '06, 2:28 pm
Veteran Member

Isodore_AK,

"We believe in the literal presence of Christ in the Eucharist".

And so do most Episcopalians. It's why you'll find tabernacles, on the altar, the Sacrament reserved, no EEMs distributing the Body and Blood, Adoration of the Sacrament, reverencing the tabernacle, a piscina, and lots of similar things. Yes, as Della says, there are different sorts of Episcopalians, to be sure. Even those how affirm Trent, Session XIII, Canon 2. It's just not de fide for Anglicans.

GKC, (who even signs himself)

Anglicanus Catholicus
Old Jan 10, '06, 6:19 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: Born into Baptistism, Born Again into Catholichristianity

and I just thought the episcopal pastors were evnvious of the collared garb worn by our priests!

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....
Old Jan 11, '06, 7:58 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyWarren
and I just thought the episcopal pastors were evnvious of the collared garb worn by our priests!

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....
Similarity or identity of beliefs (as far as that goes), will often lead to an identity of praxis. Anglicans have Adoration of the Sacrament for the same reason you do. And don't have EEMs ( those who don't, that is) for the same reason you formerly didn't.

GKC
Old Jan 11, '06, 9:22 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC
Isodore_AK,

It's why you'll find tabernacles, on the altar, the Sacrament reserved, no EEMs distributing the Body and Blood.

Anglicanus Catholicus

I was the head alter server in my younger days in the Anglican church and we did not have a tabernacle at church (although the parish church in town did) we also had a woman who was given permission from the Bishop to distribute the wine at communion (not sure what her title would have been)
Old Jan 11, '06, 9:49 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC
Isidore_AK,

"We believe in the literal presence of Christ in the Eucharist".

And so do most Episcopalians. It's why you'll find tabernacles, on the altar, the Sacrament reserved, no EEMs distributing the Body and Blood, Adoration of the Sacrament, reverencing the tabernacle, a piscina, and lots of similar things. Yes, as Della says, there are different sorts of Episcopalians, to be sure. Even those how affirm Trent, Session XIII, Canon 2. It's just not de fide for Anglicans.

Anglicanus Catholicus
But, it is not a belief that is 'official' throughout the episcopalian church. As I said, some Anglicans are a millimeter of being Catholics, while others are closer in belief to Charismatic Fundamentalists. Some only believe in a 'spiritual' presence of Christ, while others are more literal- and the Anglican church does not *require* belief either way. As opposed to the Catholic Church which *requires* belief in the Presence of Christ through Transubstantiation.

-St. Isidore of Seville (AD 560-AD 636)
Old Jan 11, '06, 11:20 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidore_AK
But, it is not a belief that is 'official' throughout the episcopalian church. As I said, some Anglicans are a millimeter of being Catholics, while others are closer in belief to Charismatic Fundamentalists. Some only believe in a 'spiritual' presence of Christ, while others are more literal- and the Anglican church does not *require* belief either way. As opposed to the Catholic Church which *requires* belief in the Presence of Christ through Transubstantiation.
Agree with both your observations, and with Pious'. As I have said before, including in this thread, there are Anglicans, and then there are Anglicans.Historically, you can find a range of doctrine, (once held under a common umbrella of historic Creedal orthodoxy, now not necessarily the case), ranging from more or less reformed to beyond Anglo-Cathlic (that's Anglo-Papal). What I tend to respond to are statements that "Anglicans believe thus-and so" when Anglicans may believe that or may believe something else entirely, depending on whom you're talking to. Right now, you're talking to an Anglo-Catholic. And my parish practices are as I have described.

Yes, as I said, transubstantiation is a pious opinion among Anglicans, and is not de fide. It is a common belief in my parish, but as Lewis observed, Our Lord's command was "Take, eat" not "Take, understand. We consider the "how" of the Real Presence as a mystery. Transubstantiation might well be the answer, to be sure.

As for females (or nonordained folk in general) and the distribution of the Body and Blood, you are right again. Some Anglicans have abandoned a lot of common doctrine. Including allowing EEMs, and laying hands on hairspray, as we say. Also, listening to Spong is not unknown. It's one reason why you can find Anglicans no longer in communion with Canterbury, or in the US, not in communion with ECUSA.

GKC
Old Jan 11, '06, 6:56 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC
Also, listening to Spong is not unknown. It's one reason why you can find Anglicans no longer in communion with Canterbury, or in the US, not in communion with ECUSA.

GKC
How much influence did he have anyway? Does he still have some clout within the EC since his retirement?
Old Jan 11, '06, 8:25 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan
How much influence did he have anyway? Does he still have some clout within the EC since his retirement?
It is not so much that he has influence, as that he was tolerated within the heart of ECUSA. And to a certain extent, exemplified the modern ECUSA ethos.

GKC
Old Jan 12, '06, 1:24 pm

Religion: catholic

Here's a pretty good article that I found.................what do you think ?

http://anglicansonline.org/resources...C-diffEng.html

Br. Mark, OSB
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions