Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 11, '06, 8:43 pm

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Wink Weekday Mass vs. Sunday Mass

...I could just go to Mass during the week and it would count for Sunday obligation?

I'm not saying this because I want to skip weekend Mass; it's just that I enjoy daily Mass so much more than weekends.

Today, for example, there were about 35 people in church. No one was chatting, no one was doing Oran's or holding hands. There were no saxaphones or drum sets. No screaming kids.

Then I go on the weekend and not only do I get all of the above, but it also takes me 20 minutes to get out of the freaking parking lot!

@#$!@%!%!

Sorry, just had to vent
Old Jan 11, '06, 9:16 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite
Default Re: Weekday Mass vs. Sunday Mass

Perhaps a more thorough understanding of the Mass would help. It is an action of the community fo the faithful - another way of saying the Body of Christ - and the word Communion means union with. It is not just your union with Christ, but with the Body of Christ, with christ as the Head.

Mass is there for you in unity with the rest of the faithful to worship God. It may well be that some of the things about Sunday Mass bother you or are distractions; however, it is the gathering of the community, of which you are a part.

I would suspect that you might be able to find another Mass more to your liking, were you to make the effort and this truly was that problemsome.

Last edited by Marian Carroll; Jan 11, '06 at 9:22 pm. Reason: THREAD TITLE CHANGE
Old Jan 11, '06, 9:32 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Week days do not take away your Sunday obligation.
Old Jan 11, '06, 11:10 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

No, weekday Masses do not satisfy your Sunday obligation. I'd either go to Mass on Sunday and on the weekday or go to another Church. There's usually one around without a sax. Another thing you might want to do is go to an early Mass. These are usually a little more conservative. I think the sax players don't get up that early!
Old Jan 12, '06, 12:41 am
Book Club Member

I can understand your frustration, it can get a bit too much sometimes. Ha ha ha! But I tend to enjoy Sunday Mass more when you think about it's meaning. The day Jesus rose from the dead! It makes it more special than the weekday masses! Offer your frustration up to the Lord!

Hope that helps!

God Bless
Old Jan 12, '06, 5:36 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

IMHO I think this is the Plan of how God wants it? Wasn't Jesus dying on a cross between two thieves? Eating with sinners and tax collectors? Associating with the lowest class of society?

Our Church congregations are an amalgamation of people. We probably have absolutely nothing in common with most of them except a love for the Eucharist. We are the Body of Christ, for better or for worse. To resist that is to resist the very people Jesus loves, and wants us to love.

That second almost-equally-important commandment ("Love your neighbor as I have loved you") is a lot harder to attain for most of us than love of God. That's easier - He is the creator of the universe after all. The guy next to me with the runny nose, chatty wife, who sits when he should kneel. How does Jesus want us to feel about him?
I'm saved (Eph 2:58), being saved (1Cor 1:8), and hope I'll be saved (1Cor 3:1215). I'm working out my salvation in fear (Phil 2:12), with hopeful confidence in Christ (Rom 5:2).

Old Jan 12, '06, 6:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalt
IMHO I think this is the Plan of how God wants it? Wasn't Jesus dying on a cross between two thieves? Eating with sinners and tax collectors? Associating with the lowest class of society?

Our Church congregations are an amalgamation of people. We probably have absolutely nothing in common with most of them except a love for the Eucharist. We are the Body of Christ, for better or for worse. To resist that is to resist the very people Jesus loves, and wants us to love.

That second almost-equally-important commandment ("Love your neighbor as I have loved you") is a lot harder to attain for most of us than love of God. That's easier - He is the creator of the universe after all. The guy next to me with the runny nose, chatty wife, who sits when he should kneel. How does Jesus want us to feel about him?
. . . so true! . . . it's just that it would be so easy to be holy if it weren't for other people!

And if you spend a little time in a prayer of thanksgiving after Mass, the traffic will be lighter when you get to the parking lot. Or stop and thank the priest for his homily. Chat with some of the people . . . find some spiritual reading if there's a pamphlet or book rack.
Old Jan 12, '06, 6:30 am

Along the same line as the other posts, what I tell people when they tell me "I don't need to go to Church, I can pray from home" is that you may not need to go to Church, but the Church needs to have you there.
One more devout person in the pews can only help the situation.
I also enjoy the daily Masses at my Church, sometimes even better than the Sunday Mass, because they are more quiet and more devout since only people who want to be there attend.
I see parking lot problems after Mass as a comedy.
I suggest you hang around after Mass, do a little private praying before the tabernacle or talk to other people and even the priest.
It might take an extra 20 minutes for you to get out of the parking lot, but at least you won't be sitting uselessly in your car.
Old Jan 12, '06, 7:14 am

Post Re: Weekday Mass vs. Sunday Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear06
No, weekday Masses do not satisfy your Sunday obligation. I'd either go to Mass on Sunday and on the weekday or go to another Church. There's usually one around without a sax. Another thing you might want to do is go to an early Mass. These are usually a little more conservative. I think the sax players don't get up that early!
I was even in band in high school and I like that type of music.... just NOT in Church!!!

You're right about the early Mass, though. It usually seems like more of a "weekday" crowd.
Old Jan 12, '06, 7:16 am

Post Re: Weekday Mass vs. Sunday Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthmary
. . . so true! . . . it's just that it would be so easy to be holy if it weren't for other people!

And if you spend a little time in a prayer of thanksgiving after Mass, the traffic will be lighter when you get to the parking lot. Or stop and thank the priest for his homily. Chat with some of the people . . . find some spiritual reading if there's a pamphlet or book rack.
That's part of the problem though. I love staying and praying after Mass. It's just hard to do that when people on each side of me are shouting at each other.
Old Jan 12, '06, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie
I was even in band in high school and I like that type of music.... just NOT in Church!!!

You're right about the early Mass, though. It usually seems like more of a "weekday" crowd.
I'm still young enough to like that kind of music but I hate it in Church too. Chant and polyphonic for me!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments