Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 14, '06, 5:32 am
Banned

Religion: undecided
Question Pro Life Movement

Would you consider the prolife movement more catholic like or more protestant like? why?
Old Jan 14, '06, 8:24 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Pro Life Movement

Pro-life people are *all* people who recognize and seek to defend the humanity of the unborn, the dignity of each human person, and the inviolate nature of all persons. And they can come from any faith tradition, or none at all.

Because the only the Catholic Church and most Evangelical churches hold the absolute view that abortion (and euthanasia, and other pro-life key issues) is a sin, a grave injustice, and an atrocity, I would say that yes, you could say it's "mostly" a Catholic movement and "mostly" an Evangelical movement. I don't know why the Orthodox, who also hold this view, are not so involved.

Many of the "mainline" churches explicitly approve of legal abortion in their faith statements, some going so far as to actively participate in pro-abortion groups.

The Catholic Church alone stands against contraception-- which is the root of most of the issues we face today. But, many Evangelicals are coming around on this issue.

I would say that the majority of the pro-life groups active in this country and the majority of the pregnancy help centers in this country are run by either a Catholic or an Evangelical group.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jan 14, '06, 8:35 am
Banned

So, the methods that are used? would they be mostly catholic or evangelical?
Old Jan 14, '06, 8:49 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Marsh
So, the methods that are used? would they be mostly catholic or evangelical?
I don't understand your question.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jan 14, '06, 8:59 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to joyfulmess

I don't understand your question either, are the methods you are asking about in reference to how we as catholics address the pro-life issue? Or are you asking for a comparison of the difference between catholic and protestants teachings regarding pro-life issues?
If you believe, you will recieve whatever you ask for in prayer. Matthew 21:22
Old Jan 14, '06, 10:16 am

Thumbs up Re: Pro Life Movement

I have HEARD that many protestants (not all) that are pro-life have exceptions, like for cases of rape or incest. Also, i think all protestants support some form of artificial birth control. I know some that don't use the pill because of the abortifacient effect, but will use condoms. I think of the Catholic Church as embodying the pro-life movement more fully than protestants because we are against contraception which is the root of all these problems, but do not think that focusing on that is productive. The point is that anyone against abortion is to be commended and worked with lovingly as it is Christ's work. Further, by working with these people, we can often bring them a level closer to the culture of life which is wonderful. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 14, '06, 10:26 am
Banned

Hi Joyful, both and more. Here is my experience with the prolife movement and I am hoping to find better. History wise, I was one of the military people who was the clean up crew for Jonestown and as such the last thing I want to see is pictures of dead babies. Hey if pictures of dead babies floats your boat, so be it.
At the time my wife and I were going to Ward Pres in Livionia Michigan and the bulletin advertised a sunday school class on apologetics, witnessing "learn how to share your faith with others..." The first class showed a movie of a truck load of dead babies, I lost my cookies and left that class. I think the use of deception like they used is without excuse. Next week, I was told about a new class for public school teachers which is designed to build up the christian teacher who is feeling beat up by life and that this will be a healing class. I do not know what I was thinking, I went to it and you guess it, they have a speaker berating public school teachers and you are going to hell if you are not teaching in a "christian" school and so on. I left Ward that day never to return. Basically, every experience I have had with the socalled prolife movement from that day on at Madonna Univeristy used deception soley for the purpose of exposing people to pictures of dead babies. Those pictures turn many people like myself off to the prolife movement and drive us away from getting active. I am at the point where in good conscence I can not longer even vote for a prolife candidate because frankly our candidates have done a poor job in office. I am unemployed and until I am working again, I will be voting for the person I believe can get me back to work.

So, I am trying to figure out who is responsible for the deception to show pictures that no one wants to see. If I am to be won over to the prolife movement a site like the one I posted will do it -- not the poor site that was posted in response.

So, my questions are simple, is there a difference between evangelical catholic methods, doctrine concerning life.
Old Jan 14, '06, 10:32 am
Banned

Question Re: Pro Life Movement

Hi dafalax, interresting thoughts. Now, I understand that abortion was too common in the time of Jesus. Can you think of any teachings besides "let the little children come on to me" that Jesus taught that would address abortion in his own day?

Give this question some thought before answering.

Basically, I am asking how did Jesus address abortion in his own day?
Old Jan 14, '06, 11:18 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
The Catholic Church alone stands against contraception-- which is the root of most of the issues we face today. But, many Evangelicals are coming around on this issue.
Hey hey hey, don't forget the Southern Baptist Church of South America.

I have a question to (if you do not mind).

What are your viewpoints about using images of aborted foetus' during pro life campaigning?
Old Jan 14, '06, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Would you consider the prolife movement more catholic like or more protestant like? why?

I would say that the prolife movement would be more Catholic promoted than protestant. I know that the Catholic Church strongly promotes the right to life. I have seen and read of Christian movements, many of them Catholic lead or initiated. I have even heard that there are protestant groups that support abortion and what not, they don't have a universal standard like the Catholic Church.
Old Jan 14, '06, 3:39 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
the last thing I want to see is pictures of dead babies.
That is the reality of what abortion is and does.

Quote:
At the time my wife and I were going to Ward Pres in Livionia Michigan
I assume that is Presbyterian

Quote:
and the bulletin advertised a sunday school class on apologetics... The first class showed a movie of a truck load of dead babies
I am not sure of the connection or context in which a basic apologetics talk would include movies of aborted babies. There should have been advanced warning of what would be included in the evening if they planned to use these images.

Quote:
I think the use of deception like they used is without excuse.
Deception implies they did it purposely. I cannot say that they were deceptive b/c I do not know that they did this purposely, or carelessly.

Quote:
Next week, I was told about a new class for public school teachers which is designed to build up the christian teacher I do not know what I was thinking, I went to it and you guess it, they have a speaker berating public school teachers and you are going to hell if you are not teaching in a "christian" school and so on. I left Ward that day never to return.
That does sound very odd. But, that is one specific church congregation. And, this second talk is unrelated to the first talk and unrelated to pro-life groups. It sounds like you had a problem with *Ward Presbyterian Church* not with the a pro-life group.

Quote:
Basically, every experience I have had with the socalled prolife movement from that day on at Madonna Univeristy used deception soley for the purpose of exposing people to pictures of dead babies.
Ok, now we've gone from Ward Presbyterian to Madonna University, which I am not familiar with. I do not know of what "deception" you speak regarding pictures of dead babies.

If you are stating the pictures themselves are deceptive you are wrong. They are the true face of abortion. If you are stating that the group sprung graphic images on unsuspecting people, that is different.

Quote:
Those pictures turn many people like myself off to the prolife movement and drive us away from getting active.
Yes, this is true, it might do exactly that. However, they also motivate many people to *become* active in pro-life work when they are exposed to the truth of abortion. These images are also highly effective in dissuading women who are considering abortion. They are the truth, and many people are sadly convinced that there is no baby, that it's just a "blob of cells". Graphic images do have their place within the context of pro-life work. Certainly not solely, but as *a* piece of the pro-life message.

Quote:
I am at the point where in good conscence I can not longer even vote for a prolife candidate because frankly our candidates have done a poor job in office.
This is not related to the rest of your post, and it seems very short-sighted and frankly lacking in sense. Pro-life candidates may or may not have done a great job in office, but putting a pro-abortion candidate in office is not the solution. The solution is to demand more of our pro-life candidates.

Old Jan 14, '06, 3:40 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I am unemployed and until I am working again, I will be voting for the person I believe can get me back to work.
Good (but shortsighted) for you, bad for the 1.3 million babies killed every year. And bad for you if you happen to become disabled and unable to speak for yourself-- such as Terri Schiavo.

Quote:
So, I am trying to figure out who is responsible for the deception to show pictures that no one wants to see.
Again you are back on this "deception" thing. I am getting the feeling you think the pictures are deceptive. They are, unfortunately, not deceptive but rather true. Do we want to see them? Maybe not. But, are they necesary to put a face and bring reality to the issue of abortion? Yes.

Quote:
If I am to be won over to the prolife movement a site like the one I posted will do it -- not the poor site that was posted in response.
I'm not following this argument. What sites? Maybe someone posted something, not sure. At any rate, what any specific group does or doesn't do isn't the point...

You should be 'won over' to the prolife movement not based on what any person or group do or do not do. You should be 'won over' by the fact that abortion kills babies-- and that is wrong. You should be 'won over' by God's call to stand for truth and follow His Word. You should be 'won over' by your conscience.

Quote:
So, my questions are simple, is there a difference between evangelical catholic methods, doctrine concerning life.
The Catholic Church is clear that abortion is murder. That is doctrine.The Catholic Church makes no pronouncement on how to live out your call to work for life and against abortion. There is no one right or wrong way to do so. People are active in literally thousands of different ways from giving health care to women, praying the rosary, providing transportation, sewing clothes, etc.

We are many parts, all one body.

Old Jan 14, '06, 3:44 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero
Hey hey hey, don't forget the Southern Baptist Church of South America.
I am not familiar with the Southern Baptist Church of South America. Only the Southern Baptist Convention in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero
I have a question to (if you do not mind). What are your viewpoints about using images of aborted foetus' during pro life campaigning?
My viewpoint? I support them as one aspect of the pro-life effort.

The graphic images can be disturbing. They are thought provoking. And, they are the true face of abortion.

Pleasant? No
Necessary? Yes

The pro-abortion groups in this country have done a fairly good job of deflecting the argument away from the humanity of the child and reframing the issue into one of choice.

The graphic images put a face back on the issue-- that of dead children. Real children. Not "blobs of tissue" or "products of conception".

Many people are ignorant of fetal development. They are ignorant sometimes because they *want* to be. Other times because they have been duped by the pro-abort groups who have tried to reframe the argument and remove the humanity of the child as far from view as possible.

Old Jan 14, '06, 3:50 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Hi dafalax, interresting thoughts. Now, I understand that abortion was too common in the time of Jesus.
Among the pagans, yes abortion was not unheard of. Common may be too strong a term. Exposing infants was more common.

Among the House of Israel, no abortion was not common. It was a sin against the fifth commandment and an abomination to the Jewish people.

Quote:
Jesus taught and ministered to the Jews. Jesus had no reason to address abortion, per se. Abortion, murder, was an abomination to the Jews. Jesus restated the Law-- the moral law-- as binding. That, in itself is all we need in this regard.

Old Jan 14, '06, 6:11 pm

Thumbs up Re: Pro Life Movement

Quote:
Hi dafalax, interresting thoughts. Now, I understand that abortion was too common in the time of Jesus. Can you think of any teachings besides "let the little children come on to me" that Jesus taught that would address abortion in his own day?

Give this question some thought before answering.

I disagree that it was common in Jesus' day. Not unheard of, mind you, but not common, and definitely not done in Jewish society. Because Jesus ministry was primarily with the Jews (because as God's chosen people, they were given the first opportunity to believe in Him) and they didn't have abortion (at least in the vast majority of society), the gospels don't speak of any instance where Jesus had the opportunity to deal with it.
So I'm not sure how to answer how Jesus DIRECTLY dealt with abortion in day, since it's not like there were clinics He protested in front of, but the Bible is not silent on the matter. God says, "Before i formed you in the womb, i knew you." (Jeremiah 1:5) That is a clear indication that humans are lovingly willed into existence by our Creator and don't just happen. We are intended.
Also, the fact that John the Baptist leaped in his mother's womb to joyfully greet the six-day-old embryonic Christ testifies to the fact that you don't have to be born to have humanity. Elizabeth also calls Mary the mother of my Lord in this passage. Mary is fully the mother of the Lord even before the infant's heart has formed and begun beating.
Also, whenever God blesses someone in the Bible, it almost always involves multiple children as part of the deal. Fruitfulness is always praised and barrenness is always pitied or meted out as a curse. God never once curses someone with children that they can't feed and they all starve to death filthy and ragged (the picture Planned Parenthood paints of parenthood). Why? Because children are lives entrusted to you by God. This is not a matter to be taken lightly, but a great gift and responsibility.
Also, we have the instance of Onan who was killed for spilling his seed and refusing to give his brother's widow children. Here we see that an act of intercourse intentionally rendered infertile is punishable by death. There were many acts of unchastity in the Bible that weren't punished with death; the sterilization of the sex act, therefore, seems to be given more weight with regards to sinfulness. This is supportive of the wrongness of contraception.
Basically if you look at how contraception and abortion were viewed in Jewish society, it makes perfect sense that the gospels don't have anything to say on the matter. After the Jews had all been given their chance to believe in Christ coming to fulfill the covenant, ministry to the Gentiles (the abortion offenders) began. Of course by then, Jesus had ascended into heaven and His Church had been established to guide the Gentiles to salvation and away from such heinous practices.
This is the best i can do. Hope i put enough thought into it for ye.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology