Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 27, '04, 1:57 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Archbishop 10-K
Default Catholic vs. Protestant Ten Commandments

Basic, honest questions, such as: Which listing came first? Why did the Church choose to use Deuteronomy? Why Protestants with Exodus? Is one is "better"?
Old Jul 28, '04, 2:26 am

Default Re: Catholic vs. Protestant Ten Commandments

The only difference is that the Catholic church canceled the second commandment that forbids the making of any graven image of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth and also forbids the act of bowing to them.

And to keep the number "ten", the catholic church divided the last commandment into two commandment. So number 9 became like that: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife. And number 10: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods. While it is obvious that these two belong to the same commandment.
Old Jul 28, '04, 3:54 am

The Catholic church did not cancel any of the commandments. The church combined a couple and numbers them differently due to the combineing. A few protestant churches use the same numbering systems(such as Lutherans) I believe. Everything is in there though if you read the entire commandments, not just the shortened versions that you see. Nice try Homer.

This link has more information about the commandments and the numberting:http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04153a.htm

Last edited by hank; Jul 28, '04 at 4:04 am.
Old Jul 28, '04, 4:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank
The Catholic church did not cancel any of the commandments. The church combined a couple and numbers them differently due to the combineing.
Enough said !!! Look people are not idiots as you and your church think. 99% of Catholics that I know (and beleive me they are many) do not know about the second commandment, and why you ask? Because the Catholic church doesn't want people to know about it for it is doing exactly the opposite of it. What a coincidence that second commandment was canceled!
In fact, what you said doesn't make sens at all. Read it again and laugh.
Enjoy your new numbering system!

Sorry if I seemed aggressive but the fact that the Catholic church is re-numbering the Ten Commandments is just unacceptable.
Old Jul 28, '04, 4:51 am

Quote:
Everything is in there though if you read the entire commandments, not just the shortened versions that you see.
In light of the negative view given toward personally interpreting the Scriptures, is the commandment in question included in the Catechism? If not, why not?

~Matt
Old Jul 28, '04, 5:00 am

James Akin explains very well on numbering of the ten commandments and his article is found at: http://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/NUMBERNG.htm
Old Jul 28, '04, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
Enough said !!! Look people are not idiots as you and your church think. 99% of Catholics that I know (and beleive me they are many) do not know about the second commandment, and why you ask? Because the Catholic church doesn't want people to know about it for it is doing exactly the opposite of it. What a coincidence that second commandment was canceled!

Sorry if I seemed aggressive but the fact that the Catholic church is re-numbering the Ten Commandments is just unacceptable.

Hi Homer,

I thought you protestants were interested in "Faith alone" and had no regard for the law anymore....What happened, sudenly you decided that works and following the commandments are necessary?

I believe that you were very rude with your answer. And by the way, The Catholic Church does NOT break the commandment on images. You just don't understand it.

Blessings,
J.C.
Old Jul 28, '04, 6:25 am

Quote:

You did seem aggressive and still do. You cannot renumber something that did not have numbers in the first place. I do not know the supposed Catholics that you know, but it sounds like they should have listened a little better if they did not know. (99% of the catholics that I know(and believe me they are many) DO know about all of the commandments.

Sorry if I seemed aggressive but the fact that the people come to this board spreading lies about the Catholic church is just unacceptable. Remember it is better to be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old Jul 28, '04, 6:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by p90
In light of the negative view given toward personally interpreting the Scriptures, is the commandment in question included in the Catechism? If not, why not?

~Matt
Yes the commandment in question is in the catechism. The part that homer is referring to is actually in the first commandment.
Old Jul 28, '04, 6:46 am

This is from the James Akin article.

This is part of the reasoning in the article why Catholics group the 10 commandments together the way we do.

Quote:

4. If the statement "You shall not make for yourself a graven idol" (the word for "idol" and "image" are the same) is taken out of the context of polytheism—as a prohibition of making <any> image of "anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth," rather than of making an idol in any one of these forms—then the Bible contradicts itself, for God multiple times commands the making of images of "thing[s] that [are] in heaven above, or that [are] in the earth beneath, or that [are] in the water under the earth," as when he commands the making of the bronze serpent (Numbers 21:8) or the cherubim which are all over the Tabernacle, Solomon's Temple, or Ezekiel's visionary Temple.
There is more in the article, but this helps.
Quote:
6. Finally, the fact the Church is not trying to "hide" or "remove" any of Ten Commandments by abbreviating them in the memorization formula is indicated by the fact that <everywhere else> the Church uses them in <unabbreviated> form. They are there, in all their unabbreviated glory, in every Catholic Bible, including the Vulgate, which was used for a thousand years before the Protestant Reformation, as well as in all the vernacular translations of Scripture before and since the appearance of Protestantism. They are read out unabbreviated during the Scripture readings at Mass (and always have been). And, finally, when catechetics is done and people are taught the Ten Commandments, they are always read and shown the unabbreviated form before being asked to learn the memorization formula.
Old Jul 28, '04, 7:07 am

Religion: Devout Catholic

Quote:

The Catholic Church has always numbered the commandments the same way, it was the Protestants that renumbered them. The first commandment, "I am the Lord your God, you shall have no other gods but me," automatically precludes the worshiping of images, so to have a separate commandment that forbids idol worship is redundant. If you are worshipping an idol, you are automatically violating the first commandment. The reason that the covetousness commandments are separated into two are to keep in line with commandments 6 and 7.

The 6th Commandment forbids adultery, the 9th commandment forbids us to even desire our neighbors spouse.

The 7th commandment forbids stealing, the 10th commandment forbids us from even desiring our neighbors property.
Old Jul 28, '04, 7:17 am

Quote:

Homer,

Not very nice of you to say "idiot" and it is very offensive...

I don't trust you on claiming anything since I assume you are a fundamentalist running around in this forum... You didn't even answer to anyone at "The assumption of Mary" thread ( http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=3184 ) More specifically you didnt answer about any support on your claims of what two popes said.

I probably enjoying your way of running around attacking and dodging the issues like that!
by then, it looks bad on your part.
Old Jul 28, '04, 7:29 am

I grew up in a non-Catholic christian church and my husband grew up Catholic. We have both types of Bibles I have read the scriptures side by side from both and see no differences. However, my husband has been attacked as a Catholic for removing a commandment and I have been attacked by Catholics for removing a cammandment. I believe a great deal of the problems comes from lack of education on both sides of the issues.

Secondly, as for the "faith alone" comment. I have attended the Baptist Church growing up and the Nazarene and Catholic Church as an adult. Both of the non-Catholic churches teach that you are "saved by faith not of works" which is in the Bible. However, they both teach that you must also follows the teaching of Jesus and the commandments. That works follow salvation and a Christian will want to do the "works" and that it is essential. The Nazarene churches believes that after one accepts Christ's salvation they are not "once saved, always saved", but may fall away from Jesus' grace because they are not following his commandments and his guidance for their life and can then go to hell or fall from grace. Did you know that the Nazarene church also celebrates Advent and Lent and basically follows the same calendar as Catholics? Did you know they teach santifying grace? Did you know some Nazarene churches use a liturgical style for there services and announce a blessing at the end of service?

I believe the bottom line is that everyone should become more educated on each other's believes. I learned this the hard way. I had may misunderstandings about Catholic and Nazarene beleifs at a younger age. Maybe we should see more of our likeness and learn to love one another.

The Catholic cathecism does allow for accepting other Christian Churches.
Old Jul 28, '04, 9:18 am

Quote:
Yes the commandment in question is in the catechism. The part that homer is referring to is actually in the first commandment.
For some reason the search engine I usually use for the Catechism has been down for a while. I hate to bother you, but do you mind providing the reference so I can look it up at home?

Thanks for your time,
~Matt
Old Jul 28, '04, 9:25 am

[/quote] [quote=homer]Enough said !!! Look people are not idiots as you and your church think. 99% of Catholics that I know (and beleive me they are many) do not know about the second commandment, and why you ask? Because the Catholic church doesn't want people to know about it for it is doing exactly the opposite of it. What a coincidence that second commandment was canceled!
Homer, Your comments are always entertaining. I'm sure that some of the people on this forum enjoy them too as it's fun to hit a soft ball out of the park. Do you allow anyone in your family to take photographs? Are the walls of your house totally bare, surely you do not let any pictures be displayed? Homer, I am praying for you that you will come to know the truth of Jesus Christ.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture