Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 17, '06, 1:07 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Orthodoxy in San Bernardino Diocese

Can anyone recommend a good solid Catholic Church in the Diocese of San Bernardino. This Diocese has been one of the most notoriously liberal in the country for years, and my family really need to find a good parish where they don't water down the faith. So if anyone knows of a good parish we would greatly appreciate it.
Old Jan 17, '06, 1:14 pm

Default Re: Orthodoxy in San Bernardino Diocese

go to www.masstimes.org
If there is perpetual adoration then you can bet on it being true to the church.
Old Jan 17, '06, 1:55 pm

I looked and sadly I don't think there are any parishes in this Diocese with perpetual adoration.
Old Jan 17, '06, 2:14 pm

Hey Nick

I just moved out here to the Low Desert Vicariate (which includes Palm Springs) about a year ago. Two weeks ago I discovered St. Michael Ukrainain Catholic Mission in Desert Hot Springs. They are located at 66595 Fifth St. and mass is Sundays at 10 a.m. It's actually a house converted into a chapel, but done so very beautifully! The liturgy is done almost entirely in English, and it's the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. The pastor Msgr. Basil Smochko is VERY nice and the most energetic 86 year old I've ever met! He looks and acts at least 20 years younger. . .
After Mass, instead of having coffee and doughnuts, we had sausage and pickles!
Old Jan 17, '06, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
I looked and sadly I don't think there are any parishes in this Diocese with perpetual adoration.
Actually, there are three now! The only official one is at St. Francis Xavier at 4268 Lime Street in Riverside. Apparently, the Diocese said, "alright, one is enough!" So the other two (which I'm afraid I don't know the names of. . .I think one may be in Victorville???) kept increasing their hours little by little, so now they are "unofficially" 24-hour! This I heard through the grapevine. . .
Old Jan 17, '06, 2:24 pm

Oh!

Also, I just found out from somebody that there is a REALLY good, orthodox parish at San Secondo d'Asti parish in Guasti. I have not visited it yet, but I've had people say wonderful things about the pastor, Fr. Louis Marx. It was described by an somebody I know as the Diocese's "best kept secret"! their website is:
http://www.sansecondodasti.com/
I plan on visiting it sometime soon, but this diocese is so HUGE that it will take me an hour and a half to get there!
Old Jan 17, '06, 2:33 pm

Wow, I just keep thinking of things to post. . 4 in a row!

If you're into the Tridentine mass, then Sacred Heart Church
on 12704 Foothill Boulevard in Rancho Cucamonga has one at 1:30 every Sunday. Their website is http://www.sacredheartrc.com/index.html I checked it out one time, but wasn't all that impressed. The priest seemed to rush through the Mass; besides I've never really been much of a Latin Mass person anyway. Give me a good Eastern Rite Mass done in Aramaic any day!
Old Jan 17, '06, 2:53 pm

Jim, you are a wealth of knowledge!
Old Jan 23, '06, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
. . .This Diocese has been one of the most notoriously liberal in the country for years. . .
Maybe not for long, though: http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...ght=bernardino
Old Sep 22, '08, 9:20 pm

Can anyone recommend a good solid Catholic Church in the Diocese of San Bernardino. This Diocese has been one of the most notoriously liberal in the country for years, and my family really need to find a good parish where they don't water down the faith. So if anyone knows of a good parish we would greatly appreciate it.

I am disgusted beyond words with this diocese. Usually I couldn't stand the Masses at the parish I used to attend but I doubt I'll ever darken the door there again. I could no longer take my granddaughter to the parishes up here in good conscience. It gets worse...

My wife is a fallen away Catholic. She's neopagan. She used to own and run the most popular Pagan/Occult store in Los Angeles for 7 years. We moved to the SB diocese 3 years ago. Well, she decided to come to Mass with me this past July 4th. (She's been away from the Church for 27 years.) So you can imagine that I was rather happy about this. Here's what she got when she went to Mass with me:

A woman in shorts walks up to the altar and lights one of the candles on the altar. Then walks goes to the other altar candle, but the lighter doesn't work. So what does she do? She smacks the lighted on the altar until it works again. My wife flinched at this.

The Mass was a sloppy and irreverent. The homily was a bunch of pandering blather about how the fathers and mothers" of our country did so much for us and how grateful we should be. The Priest didn't mention Jesus Christ even once.

I was so disgusted. I apologized to her and she ended up having to console ME after that Mass.

Neopagans have more reverence in their rituals than this diocese does.

Because of illness, I can rarely drive now, but I hope to be able to attend a Byzantine liturgy in S.B. one day soon. (They have a different Bishop)

There is a lot more I could rant about but it's not going to change anything. I can no longer drive due to illness, and there are only 3 parishes on the mountain I live on...and they're all "hand holding, liturgical dancing, and irreverent.

My wife grew up in New Orleans, went to Catholic school and remembers pre Vat2 Masses there...you know, with reverence.

A couple of weeks later, her comment after that Mass: "How the mighty have fallen".

Thanks ever so much, your excellency.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments