Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 28, '06, 5:46 pm

Religion: Christian
Default Worshiping Thor?

My daghter is 18 and is working with a man who claims to worship Thor. My daughter said it is some kind of viking God?

He also claims to be psychic and has told her things about her that are true.( She didn't ask him to tell her he just did.)

She told him to stop talking to her and that he gave her the creeps.
Still, I wonder what this Thor worship is about.
Anyone on here ever heard of it?
Thanks,
Allie
Old Jan 28, '06, 5:54 pm

Religion: Puttin' the fun in Fundamentalism
Send a message via ICQ to Kevan Send a message via AIM to Kevan Send a message via MSN to Kevan Send a message via Yahoo to Kevan
Default Re: Worshiping Thor?

The thunder god
Went for a ride
Upon his favorite filly.
"I'm THOR!" he cried.
The horse replied
"You forgot your thaddle, thilly."
Old Jan 28, '06, 6:10 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonP
My daghter is 18 and is working with a man who claims to worship Thor. My daughter said it is some kind of viking God?

He also claims to be psychic and has told her things about her that are true.( She didn't ask him to tell her he just did.)

Thanks,
Allie
Thor is the god of Thunder and war from the old Norse Mythology. The guy is clearly pagan and new Age and should be avoided. If people can run off and follow a guy who heard voices in a cave and claimed to have had the words of a "holy" book revealed to him alone, a book claimed to actually physically reside in heaven, then there should be little wonder we have folks in Arizona hunting up "vortices" with crystals, practicing astral projection, killing themselves in Guyana, or for a meeting with a comet, or, as in your case, reviving an ancient pagan religion. The human soul is always questing for answers to the divine but our appetites are so disordered that weak minds will trot along after pretty much anything that will stroke their ego...Have your daughter discuss this man with the Equal Opportunity advisor for the office and their procedures for the lowest level warning to issue now that she has verbally waved him off. She need not file an official complaint now but does need to polish her spear. She needs to let him know immediately that his advances are unwelcomed. I was a police officer before I transitioned into national intelligence and have seen this kind of thing quickly spiral into a he-said-she-said thing when the victim trys to play it nice and spare feelings.

Good luck with the situation.
Old Jan 28, '06, 6:10 pm

Religion: Jewish

It depends on how he worships Thor, some just worship Thor (the Thunder god) in Wicca as one of their gods. Others worship a more organized way under the religion Asatru. Some of the Asatru worshippers are neo-nazi guys and kind of creepy. Others are just trying to re-create the religion worshipped by the Northern Europeans in as authentic a way as possible.

Cheers,
Amy
Old Jan 28, '06, 6:23 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_cermak
It depends on how he worships Thor, some just worship Thor (the Thunder god) in Wicca as one of their gods. Others worship a more organized way under the religion Asatru. Some of the Asatru worshippers are neo-nazi guys and kind of creepy
Yes, every now and then a story will go to press about white prison inmates demanding freedom to worship Thor or Odin or another Nordic god, with visits from an Asatru priest.

A more positive vision of Asatru can be found here:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/asatru.htm
Old Jan 28, '06, 7:16 pm

Religion: Catholic, no longer lapsed as of January 2006

Quote:
It depends on how he worships Thor, some just worship Thor (the Thunder god) in Wicca as one of their gods. Others worship a more organized way under the religion Asatru. Some of the Asatru worshippers are neo-nazi guys and kind of creepy. Others are just trying to re-create the religion worshipped by the Northern Europeans in as authentic a way as possible.

Cheers,
Amy
Why does this get dragged out every time Asatur and Heathenry get discussed? Though I'm a former Heathen (Asatru is like a denomination of Heathenery rooted in Icelandic culture; there are other groups such as Forn Sed (Swedish), Theodism(Anglo Saxon, Normanii (Frankish)...), I get really tired of misinformation being spread about it.

There are far more white supremacists and skin heads who call themselves Christian than there are Heathen. Google Christian Identity some time. The KKK comes to mind. I have interacted with hundreds of different Heathens and only ever encountered one that was a white supremecist.

The religioustolerance.org article isn't the most accurate resource, either. The Wikipedia article is also frequently modified by folks with a really anti-Asatru agenda and is rarely of much use.

The simplest accurate definition of Heathenry I ever found is that Heathenry is the reconstruction and revival of the indigenous faiths and practices of the Germanic tribes.

Now that I got that off my chest...

If this guy is claiming to be psychic, he likely isn't Asatru but a little more of a Wiccan or New Age type. Astruar tend to frown on psychics and most occultic practices that cannot be documented among the ancient Germanic peoples such as rune magic, Seiğr (a form of shamanism), or spæ craft (possessive oraccular trance). Even those who engage in those practises are often looked down on by a large segment of the Heathen community. Historical authenticity is highly valued.
Old Jan 28, '06, 7:40 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Old Jan 28, '06, 7:59 pm

Religion: Jewish

I'm sorry I offended you Lapsed. It's why I said some, not all Asatru members. Like I said, others are trying to reestablish the religion of the Northern Europeans in as authentic a way as possible (and can be real sticklers about it at that).

I certainly don't have any issues with any of the pagan faiths, as most of the serious pagans I've known have been very intense in their faith.

Pax,
Amy
Old Jan 28, '06, 8:36 pm

Religion: Catholic, no longer lapsed as of January 2006

Quote:
I'm sorry I offended you Lapsed. It's why I said some, not all Asatru members. Like I said, others are trying to reestablish the religion of the Northern Europeans in as authentic a way as possible (and can be real sticklers about it at that).

I certainly don't have any issues with any of the pagan faiths, as most of the serious pagans I've known have been very intense in their faith.

Pax,
Amy
No worries, I wasn't offended. It becomes something of an automatic response after a while for a Heathen, which I was until just a couple months ago. It seems Asatru cannot be mentioned without neo-nazis coming up when they are a very small minority of the path. It's rather like someone who mentions the KKK every time Christianity is discussed. My reaction is one of exasperation, not offence.

Your apology is unnecessary, though not unappreciated, Amy.
Old Jan 28, '06, 8:58 pm
Forum Elder

Does he have Thorsday as a day of worship? I mean, Thursday; after all, it was named after Thor.
Old Jan 29, '06, 2:36 pm

Religion: Jesus Buddhist

Thor battles evil. He's one of the good guys.

Old Jun 1, '09, 7:45 am

Religion: Jesus Buddhist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorowns1234 View Post
your god is not is not real jesus is a ****!!!!!!

Ragnarok is nigh!"!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus is a ****!!!!!!

The christian faith is failure to realise the gods have given up on humanity!!!!!!

Read the comic above. Thor defeats the Troll.

Last edited by Rachel Malloy; Jun 6, '09 at 8:40 am.
Old Jun 1, '09, 5:19 pm

Religion: Protestant due to parents - Hopeful Catholic

I didn't realize Thor was still actively worshipped... I myself have some experience with the Eddas and Norse myths, but I had no idea that anyone still took them seriously. Makes me wonder if anyone still worships Zeus...

Ask Saint George for his prayers each and every day. He is and a martyr for his faith, and was a soldier under the Roman Emperor Diocletian.
Also, please check out The Teen Catholic Converts Colony
Old Jun 1, '09, 5:21 pm

Religion: Quaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonP View Post

Thanks,
Allie
I believe he is probably practicing "Asatru", a Norse/pagan group who uses the Norse pantheon instead of the Celtic, Greek or Egyptian pantheon many Wiccans employ.

It is very family and community oriented.
Old Jun 1, '09, 5:56 pm

Thumbs up Re: Worshiping Thor?

Thor and the Green Lantern were my favorite comic book characters.

To go beyond that,......what does one say? As a Dad, I know as I suspect you know what to say.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions