Catholic FAQ


Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Feb 14, '06, 7:03 am
Sean Boyle Sean Boyle is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 8, 2005
Posts: 1,027
Religion: Catholic
Default Is hunting animals a sin?

NO!!!!

I heard some discussion on the radio last night about this. I am amazed that some people believe its a sin to hunt.

What is more of a sin is to disassociate ourselves with the killing of animals for food by buying meat in clean packages with little no evidence that it was once alive. Some people even go as far as to buy meat(meat, fish, poultry) without any bones that may remind them that they are consuming what was a living breathing animal. Is it better to pay someone else to do your dirty work for you? No!!!

You'll never gain a full appreication for the animals we eat if you don't see to completion the whole neccessary ugly process from living/breathing to your tables. The life and death of animals are necessary to feed and cloth our families. Turn your back on the sacrfices made by the animal because it's messy is an afront to God creation.

The hunter assumes a responsiblity before pulling the trigger to make use of the animal in a respectful way (to not waste) and more importantly the hunter has a responsiblity to make a clean kill with as little suffering to the animal as possible.

There are laws that prevent the killing of animal for sport or to waste. It's called wanton waste. So sport killing isn't in question. It's against the law.

If you don't hunt or think that you are capable of killing an animal to eat, what makes you think that buying it makes you any better? Your better off in God's eyes if you assume the responsiblity that all hunters assume in the taking of the life of an animal; feeling the weight of the responsiblity that your taking on than disassociating yourself with the killing of an animal.

What do you think??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Feb 14, '06, 7:22 am
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 19,441
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Boyle
NO!!!!

I heard some discussion on the radio last night about this. I am amazed that some people believe its a sin to hunt.

What is more of a sin is to disassociate ourselves with the killing of animals for food by buying meat in clean packages with little no evidence that it was once alive. Some people even go as far as to buy meat(meat, fish, poultry) without any bones that may remind them that they are consuming what was a living breathing animal. Is it better to pay someone else to do your dirty work for you? No!!!

You'll never gain a full appreication for the animals we eat if you don't see to completion the whole neccessary ugly process from living/breathing to your tables. The life and death of animals are necessary to feed and cloth our families. Turn your back on the sacrfices made by the animal because it's messy is an afront to God creation.

The hunter assumes a responsiblity before pulling the trigger to make use of the animal in a respectful way (to not waste) and more importantly the hunter has a responsiblity to make a clean kill with as little suffering to the animal as possible.

There are laws that prevent the killing of animal for sport or to waste. It's called wanton waste. So sport killing isn't in question. It's against the law.

If you don't hunt or think that you are capable of killing an animal to eat, what makes you think that buying it makes you any better? Your better off in God's eyes if you assume the responsiblity that all hunters assume in the taking of the life of an animal; feeling the weight of the responsiblity that your taking on than disassociating yourself with the killing of an animal.

What do you think??
I think the vast majority of hunters hunt for sport (which is killing for fun) and put forward the lame excuse that its killing for food.
You have also used that story in other threads that people can only appreciate food if they see and participate in the process of killing the animal to eating it. Absolute nonsense!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Feb 14, '06, 8:15 am
Sean Boyle Sean Boyle is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 8, 2005
Posts: 1,027
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

Your correct, this was discussed on one thread about four or five months ago. It was sort of off topic on that thread. But not this one.

There are about 60 million hunters in the U.S. and roughly the same number fish. So approx. 100 million people fish or hunt in the United States. That would a rather large amount of wasted carcasses somewhere. Where are they? You must live around a lot of people that are unethicial to be of the opinion that the majority of your neighbors kill for the fun of it. It is against the law in most states.

Point to someone that kills for fun with proof, and I can show you how to turn them in.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Feb 14, '06, 8:22 am
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 19,441
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Boyle
Your correct, this was discussed on one thread about four or five months ago. It was sort of off topic on that thread. But not this one.

There are about 60 million hunters in the U.S. and roughly the same number fish. So approx. 100 million people fish or hunt in the United States. That would a rather large amount of wasted carcasses somewhere. Where are they? You must live around a lot of people that are unethicial to be of the opinion that the majority of your neighbors kill for the fun of it. It is against the law in most states.

Point to someone that kills for fun with proof, and I can show you how to turn them in.
So you are implying that 60 million people have no money to buy meat in a supermarket and the reason they hunt is just to put food on their table. Sorry but I don't buy into that. America is the richest country in the world and the people who can afford to hunt are not doing so because they would go hungry. The genuine poor in the US would not be in a position to go hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Feb 14, '06, 8:43 am
Sean Boyle Sean Boyle is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 8, 2005
Posts: 1,027
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

The point was the disassocation that we as a people have with the necessary killing that takes place which is part of our daily lives. People buy meat at the store with little or no regard for the sacrifice that the domestic animal has made for that meal. They don't assocate the meat with an animal anymore. Life has become to easy.

At least hunting reinforces that connection to the killing, the responsibility of the hunter, and the sacrifice of the animal in the mind of the hunter and his/her family.

Buying at the store has become part of the problem. The problem of disassocation. It gives us that disconnect. That separation from the killing. There is no second thought to it anymore. Just go to the store and buy it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Feb 14, '06, 8:45 am
bogeyjlg bogeyjlg is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 2, 2005
Posts: 439
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

No, it is not. However, we are called to be Stewards of Creation. If we hunt just to kill things, we are not being what we are called to be.

I don't care what anyone says, any wild animal tastes 1000x better than any domestically grown animal. (God grows them best).
__________________
Then turn your face to the light
and then you will certainly find,
that, if you walk into the light,
the shadows will fall behind.

Tempus fugit memento mori
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Feb 14, '06, 8:48 am
Melissa's Avatar
Melissa Melissa is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 26, 2004
Posts: 1,516
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

No--that is being ridiculous to say that those who hunt must be too poor to buy their meat in the grocery store to avoid "hunting for sport, not for food". If the hunter eats what he kills, he is hunting for food. There is such a thing as preference, and it's entirely legitimate to prefer venison to beef or pheasant & quail to chicken and turkey.

Yes, those who hunt enjoy the sport of what they're doing and aren't doing it for raw survival needs--that does not change the fact that what is killed is eaten by the hunter (and his family).

There are people who keep and kill their own chickens because they feel that the factory method of producing chickens for the grocery stores is immoral (or that their way produces better tasting chickens and eggs). They're not killing the chickens for 'sport' even if they have the money to buy pre-packaged chickens rather than killing their own.

Hunting without waste isn't sinful. We're not required to spend our lives avoiding all possible occasions of enjoyment.
__________________
Melissa, mom to Andrew, Peter, Katharine & Paul
A person's a person, no matter how small. - Dr. Seuss
Tiber Swim Team - Class of 98
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Feb 14, '06, 8:52 am
Ray_Scheel Ray_Scheel is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 28, 2004
Posts: 861
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Ray_Scheel Send a message via AIM to Ray_Scheel Send a message via MSN to Ray_Scheel Send a message via Yahoo to Ray_Scheel
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
I think the vast majority of hunters hunt for sport (which is killing for fun) and put forward the lame excuse that its killing for food.
Based on multiple surveys taken at hunting license renewals about harvests in the prior year, food use was consistently the leading reason for game taken. What's lame is that the anti-hunting and anti-gun types consistently *ignore* those surveys, and don't really have an excuse for continuing to repeat the false accusations about hunter's motivces even after they've previously had those false assumptions challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
So you are implying that 60 million people have no money to buy meat in a supermarket and the reason they hunt is just to put food on their table. Sorry but I don't buy into that. America is the richest country in the world and the people who can afford to hunt are not doing so because they would go hungry. The genuine poor in the US would not be in a position to go hunting.
It looks like you've decided in advance that it is impossible to hunt for food instead of sport unless one is in danger of starving to death *AND* that there are not genuine poor in areas rural enough to hunt in *AND* that the US government has an endless stack of money to throw at issues you think it should. None of these presumptions are supportable.

The second, about the ability of the poor to hunt, shows such an obvious lack of knowledge of ways of life in various part so the US that it has finished off any hope of you speaking credibly on this matter that you hadn't already lost back in the gun ownership thread. The poverty in the very sparsley populated Appalachian Mounutain area is well known. From http://newstandardnews.net/content/?...tem&itemid=565 we read this:
Quote:
The family survives by hunting and eating deer and pheasants. “If it wasn’t for shooting a deer and a few pheasants, we wouldn’t have any red meat except for maybe a piece of beef once in a while,” Larry told the AP. Iva cans food from the garden for the family to eat during the winter. The couple spends about $45 a month at the grocery store.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Feb 14, '06, 9:37 am
mlchance mlchance is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 20, 2004
Posts: 5,538
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

Hunting, in and of itself, is not sinful. However, certain forms of hunting, such as "canned hunts" where folks can pay to kill aged, drugged exotic animals, are at least morally problematic. We need to keep in mind that while good intentions cannot make an objectively wrong action into a good action, evil intentions can make an action immoral.

-- Mark L. Chance.
__________________
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '05
Two errors: to exclude reason, and to exclude all but reason. - Blaise Pascal.
-----
Help throw the bums out. Don't vote for a single incumbent in 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Feb 14, '06, 10:14 am
byHisGrace byHisGrace is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 21, 2005
Posts: 135
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlchance
Hunting, in and of itself, is not sinful. However, certain forms of hunting, such as "canned hunts" where folks can pay to kill aged, drugged exotic animals, are at least morally problematic. We need to keep in mind that while good intentions cannot make an objectively wrong action into a good action, evil intentions can make an action immoral.

-- Mark L. Chance.
I agree with this and with the OP. While I don't choose to hunt, I have found responsible hunters to be some of the most life-respecting people I know. Most are extremely pro-environment, care about clean kills, and efficiently use the products of the hunt for food and to support charities. Hunting fees are the single biggest financial support for preserving both wildlife and wilderness. The OP nailed it when he said the disassociation between the harvesting of food and consumption of it can lead to a lack of respect for the life given for our table. Fishing is the same way. Most either keep the fish for consumption or catch and release. The "industrialization" of our food supply is what leads to callousness towards both our environment and the care of food animals.

We know at least that Jesus ate fish. He didn't call us to be vegetarians. I can respect an anti-hunter's point of view ONLY if they are totally consistent in not consuming or acquiring any animal products (that includes shoes, purses and belts!)

Moralizing about the means to harvest animals is hypocritical otherwise. There is more massive in-humaneness in one day of industrialized animal production than there could ever be in a year of legalized hunting.

If you've ever had to slaughter a farm animal for food, and you're heart and mind are in the right place, you can only feel a big debt of gratitude to the animal and to God for what their life means.

May God bless you.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Feb 14, '06, 10:44 am
Sean Boyle Sean Boyle is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 8, 2005
Posts: 1,027
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

great post, byhisgrace.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Feb 14, '06, 11:18 am
KBarn KBarn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 26, 2004
Posts: 209
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

It is not a sin if it is done in a truly sporting manner and not to inflict needless suffering on the animal. No hunter I know ever wants to do that. They strive for a clean kill and are very respectful of life.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Feb 14, '06, 1:04 pm
Steven Merten Steven Merten is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 14, 2004
Posts: 1,844
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

Jesus was not an accomplise to an evil holocaust when He told the Apostles to put their nets in the water which put to death a massive quantity of fish. Peter did not sin when his obedience to Jesus caused the death of a great number of fish.

Hunting and fishing is not a sin.

NAB LUK 5:4
When he had finished speaking he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch." Simon answered, "Master, we have been hard at it all night long and have caught nothing; but if you say so, I will lower the nets." Upon doing this they caught such a great number of fish that their nets were at the breaking point. They signaled to their mates in the other boat to come and help them. These came, and together they filled the two boats until they nearly sank.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Feb 14, '06, 2:23 pm
patientone patientone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 18, 2005
Posts: 155
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

Hunting is a sound management practice to keep game populations at a healthy level based on carrying capacity of the habitat. It's a science and it's not perfect and those of us that hunt for food are very fortunate; we get to enjoy the great outdoors,
we can be selective in our quarry and enjoy the beauty of other non game species, the rippling of a river, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, while giving thanks for the opportunity and if we are fortunate; to enjoy some of the tastiest food on earth. If our freezers are full we can share our bounty with the needy. There are many programs that take in unwanted game meat to feed the homeless. Thank you God for providing us hunters such splendor.
__________________
Patientone
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Feb 14, '06, 3:03 pm
manualman manualman is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2004
Posts: 10,978
Religion: Catholic - no buts.
Default Re: Is hunting animals a sin?

While I have yet to hunt, I fish regularly. There IS something elementally honest and complete about going out into the wild, killing, cleaning and cooking your dinner. It is a reminder of how creation was in the beginning, how people lived in earlier times before technology isolated us from nature.

I can't help but think there IS something spiritually beneficial about it. Any argument against hunting (presuming the hunt results in the food being eaten) must logically conclude that only vegetarianism is moral. I mean really, how can you conclude that a meat packing plant is more moral than hunting? Since God himself seems to have told Peter it was OK to eat pork now, I think it is safe to say that argument is pretty flimsy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8033Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: KrazyKat
4819CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4286Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3810SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3364Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3184Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: libralion
3145Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2960For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: KrazyKat
2685Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:00 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.