“Love without truth would be blind; truth without love would be like ‘a clanging cymbal’ (I Cor 13: 1).”
– Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Homily
Although the moderators and administrators of Catholic Answers Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable content off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners, nor developers, of Catholic Answers Forums, will be held responsible for the content of any message.
By agreeing with these terms and conditions, you warrant that you will not post any content that violate any laws, and further that you will comply with the following guidelines.
- All messages you post will include your “user name.” We recommend that you use a nickname or pseudonym, and not your real name.
- If you choose to use a handle, it may not be the name of another living person or a name likely to be confused with that of a living person.
- If you register using a real name other than your own, or if the user name you choose contains offensive or misleading elements, your account will be canceled and you will be banned from future participation at this site.
- Messages posted to this board must be polite and free of personal attacks, threats, and incendiary, divisive, crude or sexually-explicit language.
- Messages should be short. Do not post lengthy replies (including replies that consist largely of quotes from an earlier message). Lengthy consecutive posts will be deleted.
- Do not view the discussion area as a vehicle for single-mindedly promoting an agenda.
- Do not incite animosity towards anyone, especially the clergy.
- Non-Catholics are welcome to participate but must be respectful of the faith of the Catholics participating on the board. Catholics must be respectful of the legitimate religious preferences and practices of their fellow Catholics.
- Catholics must be charitable in their discussions about non-Catholic belief and practice.
- Consider these forums rated “PG” and any content going beyond a “PG” rating, as solely deemed so by the moderators, will be removed and any member posting such content may have privileges taken away or be banned/suspended.
- Do not paste entire articles from web sites into a post. If you wish to reference an article on the web, link to its web address, instead.
- Inappropriate, offensive, blasphemous posts, user names, profile entries, pictures, linked content, etc. are not permitted.
- Links are only permitted as references for the topic of discussion. Links for promotional purposes, personal blogs, or to anti-Catholic websites are not permitted. Exceptions may be made for Catholic related resources.
- Do not post others’ e-mail addresses or private e-mail sent by them on the public forums.
- Do not post material from unapproved private revelations.
- Do not post personal phone numbers and addresses.
- Do not post anything that can be construed as spam.
- Do not post anything that can be construed as a commercial advertisement or contains any form of commercial solicitation.
- Do not post anything on this web site that you do not want to remain online permanently.
- Do not offer or solicit medical, psychiatric, or legal advice. Do not give advice that is contrary to civil law. Do not give advice to a minor that opposes the instruction of a parent or legal guardian. All such discussions should be directed to the proper authorities: parents, guardians, therapists, parish priests, or primary care providers.
- Messages posted to threads should be on-topic. If you wish to discuss another topic, start a new thread.
- Do not pad your post count with chatty or off-topic messages.
- If you have something to say to an individual member that is not of general interest to the board, use the private messaging system.
- Inappropriate or harassing private messages are not permitted.
- Reports of infractions of these rules should be submitted to the moderators by the flagging system. Just click the ellipsis at the bottom of the problematic post and then click the flag icon.
- Material that violates the rules may be edited or deleted without prior notice.
- Judgments by the Moderators can be discussed with the Moderators via private messaging but not on the board itself. If you display any disrespect, contention, or hostility towards a Moderator, Administrator or Catholic Answers your account will be suspended. Decisions of the Moderators may be appealed to the Administrator.
- Users who persistently violate the rules will be banned.
- Only one account is allowed per person. If your account is suspended you are not allowed to participate in the forums, do not create a new account or otherwise attempt to circumvent a suspension.
The administrators of Catholic Answers Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any on-line discussion, or part thereof, for any reason.
Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.
Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.
The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.
One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Spend time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.
You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:
- Ad hominem attacks
- Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
- Knee-jerk contradiction
Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.
The conversations we have here set the tone for every new arrival. Help us influence the future of this community by choosing to engage in discussions that make this forum an interesting place to be — and avoiding those that do not.
Discourse provides tools that enable the community to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, and so forth. Use these tools to improve your own experience, and everyone else’s, too.
Let’s leave our community better than we found it.
Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.
When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.
In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.
Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:
- Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
- Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
- Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
- Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.
These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.
This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.
Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:
- Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
- Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
- Don’t post no-content replies.
- Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
- Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information attached to it.
Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a Linked Topic.
You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.
This site is operated by your friendly local staff and you, the community. If you have any further questions about how things should work here, open a new topic in the site feedback category and let’s discuss! If there’s a critical or urgent issue that can’t be handled by a meta topic or flag, contact us via the staff page.
Yes, legalese is boring, but we must protect ourselves – and by extension, you and your data – against unfriendly folks. We have a Terms of Service describing your (and our) behavior and rights related to content, privacy, and laws. To use this service, you must agree to abide by our TOS.