View Single Post
Old Apr 7, '10, 9:53 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: The only religion whose founder's tomb is empty
Default Re: Constance McMillen case: proms as gay-rights battleground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
Manygift, could you help me? I don't understand your reasoning. Just because the school would be willing to discriminate against male homosexuals, as well as females, doesn't mean no discrimination took place. Why should the school be discriminating against homosexuals, at all?
The first part of that second sentence is wrong. It isn't doing that. Read my original post again. To recap an example, if a male heterosexual wanted to bring a male as a date, the school (presumably) would not allow it either. No one is being discriminated against.

You could ask me, why would that guy want to do that? But the 'why' is not the point. It is simply to show that the school is not discriminating in any way. Underlying your question however, is rather, what does it mean to be a date? And that was my point. It could mean, someone of the opposite sex (the school's apparent position), but it also could mean: someone of the same sex; any other student; any other person; or any subject of one's affection (thus including, say, ones ferret or sports car), etc, in principle limited only by what somebody wanted it to mean. If whatever it means to be a date, is being applied to all people in the same way, there is no discrimination. Rather, this is about Ms. McMillian (or her advocates) saying in effect, I don't like your definition of a date, and I want to use mine.

There is nothing in my stated argument saying or alluding that Ms. McMillian's opinion is right or wrong, good or bad. (One can have a discussion of what do we want to mean by a date.) The operative part for this discussion is that it is just her opinion/desire. But what it most certainly is not, is evidence of discrimination. Dislike is not evidence of discrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
Again, I don't understand your reasoning. The school doesn't want homosexuals to bring dates to the prom, but heterosexual dates are okay. That is discrimination. Religious beliefs should have nothing to do with a secular school and how its functions are run.
The school is saying nothing fundamental about the orientation of any student attending the prom, merely enforcing a uniform definition about dates. If Ms. McMillian was hetero but wanted to bring her BFF girlfriend, presumably the school would not allow it either. She is simply implored to respect what the school means by date, like everyone at the prom is expected to do. It (presumably) is not using different definitions for different people, so there is no discrimination.

Religious beliefs to not play into the logic here, correct. Being a Catholic board, I included that information as a tie-in, for potential use in follow-up discussions. But my original argument and this followup are based only on logic; no religious position is needed.

Without Truth, Charity degenerates into sentimentality - Benedict XVI

If I [speak Truth] without Charity, I am a clanging bell or crashing cymbal - St. Paul