Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Mike Gendron attacks Eucharistic Adoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Militant View Post
Excerpts?
Sure.

My initial reply to his newsletter,

Quote:
It's only idolatry if the Eucharist is not the body of Christ... learn more here!

http://www.catholic.com/library/Chri..._Eucharist.asp
His responses are in green:

Quote:
Did you not read how the Scriptures prove when, where, how and why Jesus will return a 2nd time, not every day.
Mike Gendron
Quote:
I did, and I wholeheartedly disagree with your personal interpretation of those Scriptures, especially given that they conflict with the early Church fathers (the disciples of the Apostles).

Did you not read my link, which explains why your interpretation is incorrect?

http://www.catholic.com/library/Chri..._Eucharist.asp

Another good resource you might want to check out is "This is My Body: An Evangelical Discovers the Real Presence" by Mark Shea.

See, I take Jesus as His word in John 6. Do you think He was a liar when he called His flesh true food and his blood true drink?
Quote:
How do you interpret Heb. 9:28?
Yes I read your words of men, I submit to the Word of God.
Quote:
I submit to the Word of God too -- especially when it tells me to listen to the Church. It seems you don't submit to the Word of God in that respect, Mike. Although when I was a Protestant, I conveniently skipped over that verse, too.

Regarding Hebrews 9:28, I encourage you to read the following:

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0309sbs.asp

Specifically (emphasis mine),

You might also agree that his blood in heaven is presented to God the Father as an acceptable sacrifice for our sins. This seems to be what Paul is teaching in several passages. For example, in Hebrews 9:12, he says that Christ "entered once for all into the Holy Place, taking not the blood of goats and calves but his own blood, thus securing eternal redemption." Then 9:14 goes on to say that Christ "offered himself without blemish to God." This is no doubt why it is possible for Paul to say in 10:19 that Christians can "have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus." Now, if Christís body and blood in heaven can be applied to sinners on earth without repetition of his sacrificial death when they believe on him, why canít he be present on earth in the Eucharist forgiving sins without any repetition of his death?
Quote:
I ask you how you interpret the plain meaning of a verse and you refuse. You don't know your Bible - nowhere does it say listen to the church. Instead it encourages us to test even an apostles's teaching with Scripture Acts 17:11
Quote:
Mike, I gave you my interpretation, which is the same interpretation held by the Catholic Church (the same interpretation used for 2,000 years!).

The Bible doesn't say to listen to the Church? Is your Bible missing the book of Matthew, by any chance?

If your brother sins, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother. If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that "every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses". If he refuses to listen to them, tell the Church. If he refuses to listen even to the Church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector. Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (Mt 18:15-18).

Jesus also said to the Apostles, "He who hears you hears me" (Luke 10:16). This pertains to the Church authority today, especially the successors of the Apostles (the Bishops) and the successor of Peter (the Pope).

What about 2 Peter 3:16, Mike? How does that square, in your view, with Acts 17:11? Seems to me that your interpretation of Acts 17:11 contradicts 2 Peter 3:16. Or is 2 Peter 3:16 one of the parts of the Bible you like to ignore (just like John 6 and Matthew 18:15-18)?
Since then.... no response. Notice how he refused to directly address any of my questions and tried to reframe the argument each time. He never addresses any of the Bible verses I ask him to explain, but merely tosses out others in an attempt to throw me off. He also tries to accuse me of not answering his questions, which is truly ironic.
Blogger at CatholicWorkingMother.com and Catholic Stand