Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Thread Tools Search Thread Display
Old Nov 28, '12, 3:15 pm
Dwightvk Dwightvk is offline
Trial Membership
Join Date: November 28, 2012
Posts: 1
Religion: Catholic
Default In RCIA and married outside the Catholic Church; can you help?

I am an RCIA candidate. The church at my church said he could not initiate me into the faith until my marriage is convalidated. I married a many 30 years ago who was a baptized catholic in a civil ceremony. The problem is that my husband is angry at the Catholic faith and our marriage is on the brink of collapse. We are no longer have conjugal relations so I thought that the concern about us living in sin would be remedied by the lack of sexual relations (we live as brother and sister). I see 3 options
1) convalidation (not happening because of my husband's anger at the church
2) walk away from my marriage which is not valid in the church anyway
3) stay in the marriage but do not have marital relations with my husband until he agrees to convalidation
My priest said only option 1 applies otherwise he cannot let me enter the faith.
Does my priest have this right? If he is wrong who would you suggest I contact in the diocese to get a more informed ruling? Thanks for your advice
Old Nov 29, '12, 11:19 am
Fr. Vincent Serpa Fr. Vincent Serpa is offline
Catholic Answers Apologist
Join Date: May 4, 2004
Posts: 4,937

Dear friend,

It doesnít matter how your husband feels about the Catholic Church. If he, as a Catholic, married you in a civil ceremony thirty years ago, then that marriage would automatically be invalid in the eyes of the Catholic Church. Any marriage attempted by a Catholic outside of the Church is invalid by that fact. You do need the diocesan marriage tribunal to objectively confirm that this is the case. Then you will be free to become a Catholic. Iím surprised that your priest didnít catch this. We priests do get overwhelmed sometimes.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist


Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
6597CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
6139Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
5163Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
4627Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: neweggs
4289Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
4055OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: Fischli
3290For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: GLam8833
3261Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Herculees
2823Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Last by: njlisa
Last by: beth40n2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:17 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.