Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: If you work 40 hrs a week or more, do you pray the Liturgy of the Hours?
In full, every day or almost every day 3 18.75%
Just the Morning and Evening prayers 10 62.50%
Rarely do it at all 2 12.50%
What is the Liturgy of the Hours? 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 1, '13, 6:21 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Liturgy of the Hours for working folks

I am trying to figure out how possible it is to fit the Liturgy of the Hours into the prayer life of somebody who works full time.
Old Feb 1, '13, 8:14 am

Default Re: Liturgy of the Hours for working folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow8yellowM View Post
I am trying to figure out how possible it is to fit the Liturgy of the Hours into the prayer life of somebody who works full time.
It's very possible. In fact I find weekends harder than work days as weekends are less structured. For my work week when I commute to city (3x per week), it's something like this:

5:30 am, rise, put teapot on for wife, empty dishwasher
5:40 am, Vigils (Office of Readings), 20 minutes for LOTH, 30 if I do the Monastic Office, chanted (recto-tono)
6:10 am, breakfast
6:30 am, shower
7:00 am, Lauds, chanted in Latin (20 minutes for LOTH, 25 if I do the Monastic Office),
7:30 am, drive to work
9:00 am, arrive work, Terce (read, just under 10 minutes regardless of office used)
11:50 am, Sext (as with Terce)
12-1 pm lunch
2:55 pm, None (as with Terce)
5 pm, leave for home
6:30 pm Vespers (chanted in Latin, 20 min for LOTH, 25 for Monastic Office)
7 pm dinner
9:15 pm Compline (chanted-15 min or read in bed, 10 min)
9:30 pm, read chapter of Rule of St. Benedict
9:30-10 pm, read in bed
10 pm lights out.

On days like today when I work from home (usually Wed. and Fri.): I get up an hour later (6:30) and do the morning ritual 1 hour later, Terce chanted at 9:45 (same as the abby I'm associated with), Sext at noon, none at 3 pm, and Vespers at 6 pm. On First Fridays of the Month (like today!), I knock off at 4 pm and I drive 35 min. to the abbey for Vespers (5 pm), and Benediction.

On Saturdays (my recreation/errands day), I usually rise at 6 am, Vigils, shower, Lauds, then go out for breakfast or have a later leisurely breakfast with my wife depending on the day's activities. If doing the LOTH, I will omit Terce and None and do just mid-day prayer at 1 pm. If doing the Monastic Office, I will combine Terce with Sext and do None in the afternoon, or I will do Terce at around 8:30-9 am, and do Sext and None combined at around 3 or 4 pm; it depends on the day's activities; I also typically do Vespers at around 5 pm on Sat. and Sunday during the winter, and later in summer (again depending on the outdoor activities; we like to bike & hike)

I find Sunday my toughest day for Vigils... I like to sleep in 'till 7:30; the rest is as for Saturdays.

In summer (from after Sunday of the Octave of Easter until the end of September) I will lighten the load, either switch to the LOTH with only one mid-day prayer, or I will use one of the options to split the Monastic Office into a week cycle, with only 1 mid-day prayer, and with shortened readings at Vigils (as allowed by the Rule of St. Benedict).

On occasion I have to skip a chanted office, I just read it when convenient within the usual time parameters of the office. I find I rarely miss an office. Another option I sometimes use if pressed for time is to combine Vigils and Lauds into "Matins".

A bit of flexibility helps. I'm really attached to the Divine Office as you can see. No kids at home, all grown, (but married) so that helps. Definitely the 4-week LOTH is easier. On the other hand if you miss an office you may not see that psalm for another 8 weeks if, for instance, on the next cycle it falls on a feast day. Whereas with the Monastic, they come back every week (or for some, every other week if on the 2-week cycle). Occasionally, if I can't sleep, I'll get up and do Vigils at 4 am.

If you recite or read the Office, it will be way easier than the above: recited, Vigils/Office of Readings will be about 15-20 minutes, 15 if read; Lauds & Vespers, 10 min. read, 15 recited; minor hours 10 recited, 5-10 read. Compline, about 10 min, read or recited.

At work many folks stop frequently during the day for smoke breaks, and I don't smoke. The LOTH is my "smoke break"

I guess you could say that I "smoke" the psalms! Or at least am addicted...

Obviously, with family, kids, a wildly varying schedule, YMMV. Start out with what you can handle at first. You'll find as you go on, you'll hunger for more and will make the time for it.
Old Feb 1, '13, 8:25 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

I'm a working layman and my typical workday goes like this:
7:00 AM - rise, combine Office of Readings and Lauds as per the rubrics. Approx 30 minutes. Hymn is sung, the rest recited.
Lunch Break (typically 1:00 PM) - Sext. If I take my break after 2:00 PM, then I say None instead. Completely recited, abour 7 minutes.
between 6:00 and 7:00 PM - Vespers. Sung hymn, the rest recited. About 10 minutes.
Bedtime, usually close to midnight - Compline. About 5 minutes.

That said, if the workday is hard, I very often skip midday prayer. I would also skip the Office of Readings if I'm short of time (got up late, unusually early schedule) but I'm trying to keep the Office of Readings part of my regular routine as much as possible.

Old Feb 1, '13, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthos11 View Post
7:00 AM - rise, combine Office of Readings and Lauds as per the rubrics. Approx 30 minutes. Hymn is sung, the rest recited.
Lunch Break (typically 1:00 PM) - Sext. If I take my break after 2:00 PM, then I say None instead. Completely recited, abour 7 minutes.
between 6:00 and 7:00 PM - Vespers. Sung hymn, the rest recited. About 10 minutes.

That said, if the workday is hard, I very often skip midday prayer. I would also skip the Office of Readings if I'm short of time (got up late, unusually early schedule) but I'm trying to keep the Office of Readings part of my regular routine as much as possible.
The Office of Readings is a rich treasury. I do my best as well to recite it. Sometimes when short of time I do like you and combine it with Lauds as per rubrics. The LOTH is, IMHO very feasible for us working stiffs

As an Oblate I try do do a bit more and when I can I use our abbey's schema (150 psalms a week), either on a 1 or two-week cycle or as the the GILMH rubrics allow (the "M" for "Monastic", and yes that's what it's called), a 2-week cycle.

The Office is flexible enough to allow for individual schedules. Just for fun, I set up a system of bells (actually recordings of the bells at Solesmes lifted off a few of their Gregorian chant CDs) to chime the hours when I work from home using iCal on my computer. The chapel bell rings 15 min before the Office, then a single bell tolls at 6 timed intervals 5 min. before the Office and at the start time of the Office. For mid-day and Vespers, the chapel bell rings 30 min before to remind me to finish up my work before lunch and quitting time.
Old Feb 1, '13, 9:04 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraLabora View Post
It's very possible. In fact I find weekends harder than work days as weekends are less structured. For my work week when I commute to city (3x per week), it's something like this:

5:30 am, rise, put teapot on for wife, empty dishwasher
5:40 am, Vigils (Office of Readings), 20 minutes for LOTH, 30 if I do the Monastic Office, chanted (recto-tono)
6:10 am, breakfast
6:30 am, shower
7:00 am, Lauds, chanted in Latin (20 minutes for LOTH, 25 if I do the Monastic Office),
7:30 am, drive to work
9:00 am, arrive work, Terce (read, just under 10 minutes regardless of office used)
11:50 am, Sext (as with Terce)
12-1 pm lunch
2:55 pm, None (as with Terce)
5 pm, leave for home
6:30 pm Vespers (chanted in Latin, 20 min for LOTH, 25 for Monastic Office)
7 pm dinner
9:15 pm Compline (chanted-15 min or read in bed, 10 min)
9:30 pm, read chapter of Rule of St. Benedict
9:30-10 pm, read in bed
10 pm lights out.

On days like today when I work from home (usually Wed. and Fri.): I get up an hour later (6:30) and do the morning ritual 1 hour later, Terce chanted at 9:45 (same as the abby I'm associated with), Sext at noon, none at 3 pm, and Vespers at 6 pm. On First Fridays of the Month (like today!), I knock off at 4 pm and I drive 35 min. to the abbey for Vespers (5 pm), and Benediction.

On Saturdays (my recreation/errands day), I usually rise at 6 am, Vigils, shower, Lauds, then go out for breakfast or have a later leisurely breakfast with my wife depending on the day's activities. If doing the LOTH, I will omit Terce and None and do just mid-day prayer at 1 pm. If doing the Monastic Office, I will combine Terce with Sext and do None in the afternoon, or I will do Terce at around 8:30-9 am, and do Sext and None combined at around 3 or 4 pm; it depends on the day's activities; I also typically do Vespers at around 5 pm on Sat. and Sunday during the winter, and later in summer (again depending on the outdoor activities; we like to bike & hike)

I find Sunday my toughest day for Vigils... I like to sleep in 'till 7:30; the rest is as for Saturdays.

In summer (from after Sunday of the Octave of Easter until the end of September) I will lighten the load, either switch to the LOTH with only one mid-day prayer, or I will use one of the options to split the Monastic Office into a week cycle, with only 1 mid-day prayer, and with shortened readings at Vigils (as allowed by the Rule of St. Benedict).

On occasion I have to skip a chanted office, I just read it when convenient within the usual time parameters of the office. I find I rarely miss an office. Another option I sometimes use if pressed for time is to combine Vigils and Lauds into "Matins".

A bit of flexibility helps. I'm really attached to the Divine Office as you can see. No kids at home, all grown, (but married) so that helps. Definitely the 4-week LOTH is easier. On the other hand if you miss an office you may not see that psalm for another 8 weeks if, for instance, on the next cycle it falls on a feast day. Whereas with the Monastic, they come back every week (or for some, every other week if on the 2-week cycle). Occasionally, if I can't sleep, I'll get up and do Vigils at 4 am.

If you recite or read the Office, it will be way easier than the above: recited, Vigils/Office of Readings will be about 15-20 minutes, 15 if read; Lauds & Vespers, 10 min. read, 15 recited; minor hours 10 recited, 5-10 read. Compline, about 10 min, read or recited.

At work many folks stop frequently during the day for smoke breaks, and I don't smoke. The LOTH is my "smoke break"

I guess you could say that I "smoke" the psalms! Or at least am addicted...

Obviously, with family, kids, a wildly varying schedule, YMMV. Start out with what you can handle at first. You'll find as you go on, you'll hunger for more and will make the time for it.
Dude! Your day sounds awesome. I try to say a few set prayers everyday, but never manage to get a schedule down. I think my biggest problem is I can't get up early enough
Old Feb 1, '13, 11:19 am

Quote:
The Office of Readings is a rich treasury. I do my best as well to recite it. Sometimes when short of time I do like you and combine it with Lauds as per rubrics. The LOTH is, IMHO very feasible for us working stiffs

As an Oblate I try do do a bit more and when I can I use our abbey's schema (150 psalms a week), either on a 1 or two-week cycle or as the the GILMH rubrics allow (the "M" for "Monastic", and yes that's what it's called), a 2-week cycle.

The Office is flexible enough to allow for individual schedules. Just for fun, I set up a system of bells (actually recordings of the bells at Solesmes lifted off a few of their Gregorian chant CDs) to chime the hours when I work from home using iCal on my computer. The chapel bell rings 15 min before the Office, then a single bell tolls at 6 timed intervals 5 min. before the Office and at the start time of the Office. For mid-day and Vespers, the chapel bell rings 30 min before to remind me to finish up my work before lunch and quitting time.
I'm not religious so I use the Roman-rite Liturgy of the Hours and I agree that this is the best option for working, Latin-illiterate laity. If anything good has come out of the Vatican II reforms, it's the current Liturgy of the Hours.

Old Feb 1, '13, 11:29 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

As a Roman Catholic priest of almost 49 years and Hospital Chaplain of VA Medical Center, I pray daily the complete Liturgy of the Hours.
Old Feb 1, '13, 12:23 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic (Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis-OFS)

Lauds (with the Invitatory) and Vespers.

Let all the brothers, however, preach by their deeds. -San Francesco d'Assisi
Fungaiolo/Pescatore/Cacciatore
Old Feb 1, '13, 3:41 pm

Religion: Finally Catholic

I currently pray a devotion modeled on the Liturgy of the Hours:

Praying the Psalms straight through, cover to cover, four times a day, morning, midday, evening and before bed, covering as many Psalms as I can in the allotted time slot, and adding the assigned canticles and Lord's Prayer plus my own prayers. This is very flexible and therefore is perfectly manageable even in a very hectic work schedule. I usually get through all the Psalms in one month.
Old Feb 1, '13, 3:56 pm

Quote:
I'm not religious so I use the Roman-rite Liturgy of the Hours and I agree that this is the best option for working, Latin-illiterate laity. If anything good has come out of the Vatican II reforms, it's the current Liturgy of the Hours.
Agree completely. It annoys me to hear people disparage the Liturgy of the Hours as not being "traditional" enough or too light, but the reality is that it has brought lay participation into the public prayer of the church within grasp of almost anybody who wants to pray it.

Moreover if one analyzes the LOTH carefully, one finds that in fact it does adhere to many ancient traditions, especially if some of the options in the rubrics are used, like the option to use Ps. 4, 90 and 133 every night for Compline (to allow the ancient tradition of reciting it from memory in the dark).

In fact I find it more "traditional" than the post-Vatican II monastic office that I (and our abbey) uses, even though the monastic office does all 150 psalms on a 1-week cycle.

Moreover it ties in with the liturgical year and reading cycles of the Ordinary Form Mass, which the vast majority of us attend.

For a bit of history on how it came about I recommend "From Breviary to Liturgy of the Hours" by Stanislaus Campbell. A bit dry reading, but fascinating history on how it came about, and how it was essentially the logical conclusion of a process started by Pius X, and continued by Pius XII (under abp. Annibale Bugnini, the archbishop that traditionalists love to hate), and in fact some of the more controversial aspects of the LOTH (e.g. removal of imprecatory verses and psalms) were in fact the idea of Paul VI and not Mgr Bugnini.

I think the LOTH was a great gift to the Church by Mgr. Bugnini and Paul VI.
Old Feb 4, '13, 10:47 am

Quote:

Porthos, when you combine the OOR with Lauds, I know the rubrics allow one to choose either the OOR hymn or the Lauds hymn. Do you systematically choose one or the other, or does it depend on the individual hymns? I sometimes combine both offices as well.

Since I chant the office, I tend to be a bit lazy and go with the easier melody, or at least the one I know better. I guess I'm a bit lazy in that way.
Old Feb 4, '13, 4:49 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Very early in the morning:
Invitatory
Office of Readings
Morning Prayer
Just before bedtime:
Evening Prayer
Night Prayer
In between ... I work well over 40 hours a week.
Old Feb 4, '13, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Porthos, when you combine the OOR with Lauds, I know the rubrics allow one to choose either the OOR hymn or the Lauds hymn. Do you systematically choose one or the other, or does it depend on the individual hymns? I sometimes combine both offices as well.

Since I chant the office, I tend to be a bit lazy and go with the easier melody, or at least the one I know better. I guess I'm a bit lazy in that way.
I always select the Lauds hymn without exception but for no particular reason. It's purely my personal practice.

Old Feb 4, '13, 6:22 pm

Quote:
I always select the Lauds hymn without exception but for no particular reason. It's purely my personal practice.
That's what I'm inclined to do on ordinary days, where the hymns are generally all simple and I know all the melodies. On memorials and feasts though I take the path of least resistance
Old Feb 5, '13, 8:51 am

Quote:
That's what I'm inclined to do on ordinary days, where the hymns are generally all simple and I know all the melodies. On memorials and feasts though I take the path of least resistance
I always select the Lauds hymn, but whether I take the hymn from the weekday or from the Common depends, and this is just my own system and just for Ordinary Time

1. If there is a Proper antiphon for the Benedictus and Magnificat, I take the hymn from the Common.
2. If there is no Proper antiphon for the Benedictus and Magnificat, I take the hymn from the weekday and the Gospel Canticle antiphons from the Common. That way, I always have at least something from the Common.
3. Outside of Ordinary Time, such as Advent, Christmas, Lent and Easter, I always take the hymn from the season, not from the Common.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality