Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 31, '09, 7:00 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gather Us In/Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald connection?

And we can't leave out the classic "Here I Am, Lord" as "The Brady Bunch" similarity:
Here I am, Lord
It is I, Lord
I am bringing up three very lovely girls...
Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Jan 31, '09, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar View Post
How about Ernest Sands' "Sing of the Lord's Goodness"? Take Five ...
I can hear "Take Five" in that song, but I also hear "Everything's Alright" from Jesus Christ, Superstar.
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
~Fred Rogers

Tiber Swim Team, class of 2008
Old Jan 31, '09, 8:25 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Darn it. We used "Gather Us In" for our processional hymn at our wedding, 10 years ago. In our defense it was one of the hymns suggested by the music minister, and we didn't know any better.

Makes me wish I'd been married in the Eastern Rite.
Old Jan 31, '09, 8:33 am
Forum Elder

And you also sign the "Gilligan's Island" lyrics to "Amazing Grace"
Old Jan 31, '09, 8:36 am
max37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
And you also sign the "Gilligan's Island" lyrics to "Amazing Grace"
Good one! Never knew that.

Amazing Grace can also be sung to "The House of the Rising Sun"

There's an excellent recording of that by the Blind Boys of Alabama
Old Jan 31, '09, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee View Post
me,too

I'm going to think that, too!

But I LIKE 'Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'...don't like 'Gather Us In'...though I used to sing it when I was a cantor...eww,

Glad I go to the TLM!
Old Jan 31, '09, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Gather Us In

Here in this place, a bad song is starting,
Now will the altar turn into a stage.
All that is holy is slowly departing,
Making a way for the coming New Age.

Gather us in, for we are like captives.
Skipping the Mass, that would be wrong.
But Lord hear our plea, regarding M. Haugen:
Give him the courage to put down that bong.

Dear Father Smith make a beeline procession,
Run if you have to, make it real terse.
If you can start this Mass very quickly,
Maybe we'll only have to sing one verse.

Great parody Katy!

I was singing it softly to myself-couldn't help but laugh quietly-I'm in the library.
Old Jan 31, '09, 9:32 am
Forum Elder

Send a message via AIM to LRThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Gather Us In

Here in this place, a bad song is starting,
Now will the altar turn into a stage.
All that is holy is slowly departing,
Making a way for the coming New Age.

Gather us in, for we are like captives.
Skipping the Mass, that would be wrong.
But Lord hear our plea, regarding M. Haugen:
Give him the courage to put down that bong.

Dear Father Smith make a beeline procession,
Run if you have to, make it real terse.
If you can start this Mass very quickly,
Maybe we'll only have to sing one verse.

Did you come up with that? Or did someone else come up with it? Either way, it's funny!

http://lrthunder.blogspot.com/
Old Jan 31, '09, 10:00 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I love Gather Us In.

When we first started attending Mass (we were kicked out of our evangelical Protestant church), we sang Gather Us In one Sunday. It made my cry, because I wanted so much to be "gathered in" to a church.

I remember copying the words on a napkin in my purse and saving them for a long time. I would take them out at work and read them because they were so uplifting to me. I love the symbolism in the song. I don't understand why some of you are so down on symbolism and yet you love Latin.

Whenever you are gagging into your hand during Mass and wishing that the wise bishops appointed by the Lord Jesus Christ would see the light that you have seen and expunge the hymnals of this abominable travesty, remember me crying over its message while I was still Protestant, and reading the words off a napkin for spiritual nourishment.

Keep in mind that there are many people in the Church besides you and yours. And someone who is starving, as I was, can't eat the rich food and drink that you all thrive on. At that time, I didn't understand fully why we had been ousted from our church, and the last thing I needed was to sing hymns in a foreign language that I couldn't understand.

As for the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald--I suppose it does sound a little like Gather Us In. So what? They're both good songs.
Old Jan 31, '09, 10:38 am

Religion: Bad Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I love Gather Us In.

When we first started attending Mass (we were kicked out of our evangelical Protestant church), we sang Gather Us In one Sunday. It made my cry, because I wanted so much to be "gathered in" to a church.

I remember copying the words on a napkin in my purse and saving them for a long time. I would take them out at work and read them because they were so uplifting to me. I love the symbolism in the song. I don't understand why some of you are so down on symbolism and yet you love Latin.

Whenever you are gagging into your hand during Mass and wishing that the wise bishops appointed by the Lord Jesus Christ would see the light that you have seen and expunge the hymnals of this abominable travesty, remember me crying over its message while I was still Protestant, and reading the words off a napkin for spiritual nourishment.

Keep in mind that there are many people in the Church besides you and yours. And someone who is starving, as I was, can't eat the rich food and drink that you all thrive on. At that time, I didn't understand fully why we had been ousted from our church, and the last thing I needed was to sing hymns in a foreign language that I couldn't understand.

As for the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald--I suppose it does sound a little like Gather Us In. So what? They're both good songs.
Aw, maaan. I feel like I hate this song a little less now. I remember how certain songs ministered to me while I was struggling years ago (crisis of faith thingee). I have a soft spot for them even though I don't think the music or lyrics are all that good anymore.
But I still like the parody.

We need her, the one whom God chose to need.

^V^

Last edited by Bruised Reed; Jan 31, '09 at 10:42 am. Reason: add words
Old Jan 31, '09, 10:41 am

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I love Gather Us In.

To tell the truth, I can usually handle it when they leave out that "Not in some heaven, light-years away" verse.
Old Jan 31, '09, 11:24 am

Gather us In - never really cared for it, not "gagging in my hand" reaction, just kinda, "eh" about it. We don't sing it in choir very much @ the 9 a.m., but the guitar singers (sorry, the way I see them because practically everyone but the lady who plays the triangle is carrying one) at the 11 a.m. have it as one of their standards. Now of course, either the Gordon Lightfoot lyrics or the parody will be going through my mind and I will REALLY have to work on keeping my composure.

As for the "singing hymns in a foriegn language", well, that stuck a bit. The most perfect moment of prayer I have experienced was when I was singing Mozart's "Ave Verum Corpus" at Holy Thursday Mass. There were angels in that choir that day, I'm sure. We had never been able to produce so perfect a sound before and when it was done we all looked at each other and whispered, "Whoa!"

Last edited by mantilla410; Jan 31, '09 at 11:26 am. Reason: Misspelling
Old Jan 31, '09, 1:58 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Marty Haugen really has no sense of the concept of Catholic dogma, let alone Catholic liturgical theology. I would not expect him to because he is Protestant. It's like expecting sleeves on a vest; they just are not going to be there.

Apart from the fact that it does sound like a pop song, Gather Us In is pretty much centered on us with very little reference to God. In fact, whatever reference there is strikes me as marginal, at best.

The Mass is supposed to prepare us for the heavenly liturgy. The fact that the song says "not in some heaven, light years away" does not take this important fact into account. Furthermore, "here we will take the wine and the water" is inaccurate. We bring the bread, the wine and the water during the offertory. It is the priest who consecrates these into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ and then offers them, in our name, to the Father.

It used to be that the hymns were a tool to express the basic Truths of our Faith while at the same time being directed to the Triune God.

When the USCCB did its preliminary studies on hymns a couple of years ago, it found that 10% of the hymns focused on God the Father.

Because quite a few of the songs focused around ourselves, it begged this question from the USCCB:

Quote:
Do the texts give insufficient emphasis to Godís initiative in the world with a corresponding overemphasis on human action?
The USCCB noted that :

Quote:
Individual songs should be consonant with Catholic teaching and free from theological error
And, the other finding that the USCCB made was that:

Quote:
Emphasizes Individual or Larger Church? 55% of the songs emphasized the individual believer, 35% emphasized concerns of the larger Church, while 10% were centered exclusively on praise of God.
These findings were from a powerpoint that the Subcommittee on Liturgy did in advance of Sing to the Lord, which was supposed to have brought us into compliance with Liturgiam Authenticam. However, because the USCCB failed to adopt the document by the necessary votes, it was never sent to Rome for recogitio. Instead, it was simply regarded as a teaching document with little to no authority.

If were to examine "Gather Us In" point by point, we would find that it simply doesn't pass muster.

Regarding the issue of Latin, it is not the average foreign language. As Latin-Rite Catholics, it is our language. Furthermore, it is steeped in Tradition. And, if we want to get into genuine symbols, then we don't need to look any further than the hymns that St. Thomas Aquinas wrote. You can't get any more doctrinally sound than that.

Last edited by benedictgal; Jan 31, '09 at 2:02 pm. Reason: additional commentary
Old Jan 31, '09, 2:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconsSon87 View Post
The reason our choir doesn't sing "Gather Us In" so much is because our pastor Fr. Mark (who is one of the few conservative priests left in town) does NOT like that song...because it sounds too much like the Gordon Lightfoot hit "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" (which he also doesn't like).
Yep, I've always said the same . . .
Old Sep 28, '11, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by passus View Post
Yes, I feel somewhat the same. I've never really ever felt comfortable singing:
Not in the dark of buildings confining
Not in some heaven, light-years away
here in this place the new light is shining
Now is the Kingdom, now is the day
That's why I've relegated myself to playing that song when it comes around.
This just in from GIA Publications, regarding their Hymnal Gather 3:
The Chicago Archdiocesan theological sensors, who approve all of GIA's hymnals for publication, asked that stanza 4 be removed.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments