Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 4, '09, 8:53 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Headcovering question- would this have cut it back in the day?

I saw on my favorite headcovering site that they carry very wide headbands and evidently consider these "coverings." (Example: http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/produ...-stretch-lace/ - this is not a Catholic site, by the way). I'm curious if wearing something like this would have "counted" as a proper covering "back in the day" when women were expected to cover in Church. Being a relatively young convert, I have no idea. I know now it isn't required to cover at all and so one could wear something like this if they wanted without any qualms, but I'm curious about the more "old school" Catholic perspective. Any thoughts? Would YOU consider this an attempt at headcovering if you saw it on a woman in your parish?

Set thyself, O Faithful Virgin, as a seal upon my heart, that in thee and through thee I may be found faithful to God. ~St. Louis de Montfort
Old Dec 4, '09, 10:26 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Headcovering question- would this have cut it back in the day?

I saw these too and were a little skeptical about their label as headcoverings. In my opinion, if you really want to go for a headcover, if you can see the hair then it doesn't count. I remember reading somewhere (sorry, I can't remember where...) that the glory of a woman is her hair (at least symbolically speaking) and so we should downplay that glory to point to God's glory. Also, there's nothing especially "evangelizing" about it... meaning, if I see a woman with a full veil then I see it as a sign of her faith. But if I saw one of those that you mentioned I would just think it's a headband....
Old Dec 4, '09, 10:35 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC

Well, I am from "back in the day" and I would have had no objection to this head band being used as a head covering at church. Actually, I think it is very pretty.

Women would throw anything on their head in an emergency when entering a church - a hankie, a glove, etc. On Sunday, of course, one would try to look decent.

You say that it is now not necessary for women to cover their heads in church but that is not factually accurate. Vatican II never changed that rule. Just another of those misinterpretations.

I still cover my head when entering a church and always have.

Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us;
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, pray for us.
Old Dec 5, '09, 4:49 am
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

\\
You say that it is now not necessary for women to cover their heads in church but that is not factually accurate. Vatican II never changed that rule. Just another of those misinterpretations.\\

Not true.

There was a canon in the 1917 Code requiring women to cover their heads. For that matter, separate seating for men and women was also required.

This was NOT included in the 1983 code.

Furthermore, the latter has a canon specifically saying that the previous code is abrogated.

I'm not saying that women should NOT cover their heads. It's a venerable custom, but the woman herself should be convinced of this.
Old Dec 5, '09, 8:07 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

I don't like your habit of replying to everything you disagree with in bold, so I see your bold and raise you underline.

Your response is flawed. The person to whom you are replying said that "Vatican II did not change that", and she is right. The 1983 CIC is not Vatican II. The canon requiring women to cover their heads in church has indeed been removed from the code, and therefore women are not under the Latin codex required to do so, but the entire practice of the Faith is not codified in canons.

What an exhausting way to write. Is every word you deign to grant so important that it must be in bold?
Old Dec 5, '09, 8:20 am

Religion: catholic

I remember wearing headbads as a headcovering back then. I don't even remember mine being that wide. We also wore large clip on bows as well.
Old Dec 5, '09, 8:51 am

Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
There was a canon in the 1917 Code requiring women to cover their heads. ...

This was NOT included in the 1983 code.
Whether it was or was not included in the CIC of 1983 doesn't seem to be germane. I recall that head coverings for women became optional at about the same time the "interim Missal of 1965" first appeared on the scene. Quite some time before the revised CIC.
Old Dec 5, '09, 9:14 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008

Everytime someone asks a questions about a headcovering, the thread always ends in a debate....

I, thereby, hijack this thread back to original poster's question.

I think that is a lovely headcovering. As long as you like and know the reason that you are wearing it, that's all that matters.

http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/produ...-lace-cecily4/

However, I like this one better. I have made myself a brown lace one and I purchased a black lace one from Devorah's....I find that a large headband sticks out from my head too much...if that makes sense....

God bless, Dana
Old Dec 5, '09, 5:29 pm

Religion: Catholic

DJ,
Have you ever seen a chicken with a blood spot on it in a chicken coop? Every other chicken will gang up on it until it is killed. Similar situation here. Just don't make a misteak - oops.
Old Dec 5, '09, 5:48 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Hmm yes, to answer the original question, I think it looks very nice.

However, I also believe that if one can find a more complete veil for Mass, it would be ideal to use that instead. As previous posters have said, women and girls used to stick any old things onto their heads when entering a church to fulfil the letter of the law.

Here though I think it is not so much the letter that interests you (since the law no longer binds) but the spirit, and I would argue that the spirit of a woman covering her hair is more public than private. When I see the link you posted, it looks to me like just another big hairband, rather than a head covering for Church. A chapel veil on the other hand reminds me why I am there, not to look at pretty girls but to give thanks to God for making them.

Anthony OPL
Old Dec 5, '09, 6:05 pm
Forum Elder

As I recall in pre-VII times the intent was to cover the crown of the head. I don't know if that was required that way, or just what my many female relatives thought was required.
Old Dec 8, '09, 7:19 pm
Observing Member

I'm a weird one on this.. I cover my hair Mostly full time because of stripture verse about how God has given the hair. "As a covering" and that a women who is not vield while praying etc shames her head.(1:Corn 1:11) It is a sign of headship that a woman is submissive to God and her husband. Also Just because the Cannon law Doesn't say anything about it in 1983 also doesn't mean they said 'Not" to wear a veil. I think it is a personal decision left up to each woman and should prolly be discussed with her priest and husband if she has one. So I don't See the point of pointing fingers at those who chose to or not it is on each person. I have been lead to do it others have not. I usually wear a scarf or bandana in my day to day life with a more facy Mantilla style one for Mass. I will Also say that in many other countries other than American Catholic still cover at least at Mass if not Full Time and our Orthodox Catholic sisters do very much as well as some other Christian Groups(Mennonite/Amish). I have two girls and I don't require them to cover unless they want to because I feel it is an indivdual sacremental. Ok thats all I have to say about that.
Ginna
Old Dec 8, '09, 8:14 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic, Post Vatican II

I like a line from the most excellent graphic novel "Persepolis" (concerning the 1970's Iranian Revolution) in which the main character questions the veil by saying "If woman's hair incites lust in a man so that she has to cover it, why don't men have to shave their beards?" I love it when women in my parish cover their heads, mostly because I am forced to reexamine my own piety and also because I'm a sucker for pretty patterns. Sometimes I wish humanity had developed a similar sense of men's hair so that I could wear pretty coverings like that. :P j/k Though sometimes I am jealous of all the fuss that's made over women's clothing. There was a time when women's clothing was made to compliment men's (ie, 16th and 17th centuries--those were some men's outfits! )

I can't speak authoritatively on the headband in the OP, because I was born about twenty years after Vatican II, but given that I remember my grandmother throwing a doily on her head when she realized her scarf wasn't in her handbag (but there was a doily??? whaaa?) I would say that said headband would probably be acceptable. It has to have about twenty times the material that the stupid doily had.
Old Dec 10, '09, 10:21 am
Trial Membership

Religion: protestant

In 1 Corinthians 11:1-16..
Read entire passage........This is a teaching that should be practiced among both men and women.It talks as much about a man having his head covered..(which he shouldn't) and a woman being Veiled ,besides her natural hair which is a glory unto her.This whole concept deals with HEADSHIP. So by not following the scriptures,you are being in direct conflict with the Holy Spirit.Someone convicted of wearing the covering,and then another saying they are not convicted would make me want to ask the question....Does the Holy Spirit set out to confuse us?....Of Course not.We are to be in unity ,in One Spirit,.So if this is not the case,someone has a problem with submission and headship already with-in themselves,and should be dealt with according to scripture.The very first verse says IMITATE me,just as I also IMITATE CHRIST..!!!! the Last verse of this whole concept say,there is no other custom,we shouldn't argue over this,it is taught in every church Paul was sent to..(To wear a covering for the woman,and to NOT wear a covering for the man)....Its all about submitting to Christ and the God Head folks.......Get it right,and draw closer to God in your obedience to His teachings.
I am not a Catholic,but do practice these teachings in the Church of God in Christ,Mennonite
Old Dec 10, '09, 10:48 am
Book Club Member

I like this one

http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/produ...ico-for-girls/

It looks sort of Amish!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism