Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 18, '09, 3:14 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Headcovering Outside Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaterinaTherese View Post
I love this forum already! I know this post is old, but still thanks for the great links everyone. I am also feeling called to wear a head covering, as well as more simple and modest clothing.
I am so glad I found this thread!! I too, am feeling a calling for more modest dress and head coverings full time. I wasnt sure if it was noraml, or "OK" in the Catholic church, but I see that God has a devine plan for everyone and that for some of us it is His will that we cover our heads!

In Christ,
NIcole
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Josh 24:15

Proud mommy to:
~Jacob 10-10-05
~Benjamin 1-2-07
~Joshua 8-29-08

I have gone astray like a sheep that is lost:
seek Thy servant, because I have not forgotten Thy commandments.
Psalm 118
Old Oct 18, '09, 3:23 pm

Religion: True Catholic

No, I didn't have any questions. I have followed all these headcovering threads with interest. The first time I attended a TLM I wore a borrowed mantilla, never dreaming I would need one. I had no idea they were worn. Later I attended the TLML with a simple black scarf or a hat on the few other occasions. My own parish is very small and rural with no TLM and this is not a Catholic area so I feel very conspicuous in a headcovering. Last winter I wore a hat that was warm and stylish. I did it to cover, but when spring came I lost the nerve to stand out. I love hats and I love refurbishing and remodeling second hand and vintage hats. Adding a touch or removing something and restyling a little is so much fun! I like to get ideas looking at the hat sites on the internet. I have become very interested in dressing femininely and modestly over the past decade. I always wear dresses to Mass, but I guess I feel a little old at 56 to appear too different in my parish by wearing the hats. But YET, I still do want to cover, just can't get going. I will do the hats now that it is time for warm coats again. My church is very cold, so it is very comfortable to wear a hat if only for that reason alone.
Old Oct 19, '09, 3:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleCook View Post
I am so glad I found this thread!! I too, am feeling a calling for more modest dress and head coverings full time. I wasnt sure if it was noraml, or "OK" in the Catholic church, but I see that God has a devine plan for everyone and that for some of us it is His will that we cover our heads!
Amen
Old Oct 19, '09, 6:32 pm

Quote:
I second this

Unless the original poster or anyone else has an objection to me talking about this here, I just thought I'd say that I found La-Petite-Fleur's sign through her mother to be very interesting and wouldn't mind hearing about such things in this thread or we could create a new thread for rambling about hair covering discernment (or even just about discerning our Lord's will in general, whether through signs or feelings etc.) I'm interested in all of that. Anyone else?
I think that would be interesting too . If you decide to form a new thread about discernment of covering full time, please let me know. I really believe God answered my prayer, and since I started I've just felt such, such peace. I could talk about it for hours .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleCook

In Christ,
NIcole
I feel the same way! I'm just fascinated that there are other Catholic ladies who are feeling led to do this daily. It's also nice to be able to talk to you all as we seem like we're kind of going through similar things. When I have a private time for prayer, I'll remember to pray for the ladies on this thread (please say a little prayer for me too!) God bless you .
ATTN: THIS PROFILE IS HEREBY ABANDONED TO THE ADMINS. I AM NOT MY PROFILE, MY PROFILE IS NOT ME, AND I CAN LEAVE, EVEN IF THE ADMINS FORCE THIS PROFILE (HEREBY NOT MINE) TO REMAIN. FEEL FREE TO DELETE IT, ADMINS. GOOD RIDDANCE!

X,
Not-A-Hostage
FKA La-Petite-Fleur
10/11/2014 8:20 PM EST
Old Oct 19, '09, 10:33 pm

Ok, I created Headcovering Women's Clubhouse inside of the "Clubhouse" section of the "Water cooler" section, so it can be a more laid back thread. I'm hoping that you all, and any women from the other headcovering threads would come there for a little fellowship. Since it's a clubhouse it doesn't need to stay on topic at all times. Pretty much the only requirement is that you be a woman who feels called to cover her head

For example, our first discussion could be about La-Petite-Fleur's sign, and how each of us felt the call
Old Oct 20, '09, 9:22 am

Back to headcoverings and your statement ac claire, I was wondering about the head coverings of Irish ladies of days past, because I've been interested in something not as formal as a mantilla (although beautiful) for throughout the week, and if I wore a covering on Sundays, I would wear the mantilla then because it's more formal. At the same time, I don't know if the bandana is exactly what I'm looking for throughout the week, although it is a possibility. I had found this style (picture)(page). I'm interested in all of the options available.

Anyway, as it is probably quite obvious by my post, I am so excited about this. And for so many wonderful reasons. I'm also intrigued by the posts here of other women who are wondering if perhaps this is something Our Lord is wanting for them. Before I saw this thread, I don't know if I knew that other Catholic ladies out there were feeling led by the Lord in such a way. God bless you all .[/quote]

I also had that exact same picture of a head covering in my mind when I was moved by the Lord to wear a headcovering. It came out of no where I had no prior knowledge of women wearing headcovering today, until I searched ofr it here! What a great idea to wera a headcovering as an offering for all the in modest dress that women and men wear laelty. This is a great support system for women who feel called to this. Thanks for everyones posts!!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Josh 24:15

Proud mommy to:
~Jacob 10-10-05
~Benjamin 1-2-07
~Joshua 8-29-08

I have gone astray like a sheep that is lost:
seek Thy servant, because I have not forgotten Thy commandments.
Psalm 118
Old Oct 20, '09, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleCook View Post
I had found this style (picture)(page). I'm interested in all of the options available.
Oh wow, I really like that one too! I think something like that could be simple enough that I could buy my own fabric and just finish the edges. (I'm a very very amateur seamstress )
Old Oct 20, '09, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Oh wow, I really like that one too! I think something like that could be simple enough that I could buy my own fabric and just finish the edges. (I'm a very very amateur seamstress )
I hope Devorah will continue to make that style, and in many different prints. I do like it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleCook
I also had that exact same picture of a head covering in my mind when I was moved by the Lord to wear a headcovering. It came out of no where I had no prior knowledge of women wearing headcovering today, until I searched ofr it here! What a great idea to wera a headcovering as an offering for all the in modest dress that women and men wear laelty. This is a great support system for women who feel called to this. Thanks for everyones posts!!
Thanks!
ATTN: THIS PROFILE IS HEREBY ABANDONED TO THE ADMINS. I AM NOT MY PROFILE, MY PROFILE IS NOT ME, AND I CAN LEAVE, EVEN IF THE ADMINS FORCE THIS PROFILE (HEREBY NOT MINE) TO REMAIN. FEEL FREE TO DELETE IT, ADMINS. GOOD RIDDANCE!

X,
Not-A-Hostage
FKA La-Petite-Fleur
10/11/2014 8:20 PM EST
Old Oct 21, '09, 4:24 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Petite-Fleur View Post
I hope Devorah will continue to make that style, and in many different prints. I do like it as well.
I live how versatile it is. You can lay it over your head mantilla-style or tie it around like a scarf, any number of ways.

-ac

Old Oct 23, '09, 12:54 pm
Forum Supporter

I am so glad I found this thread! I only cover at Mass so far, but all the comments really have me thinking... This is really exciting!

My Blog

06/08 07/10 8/11 11/12 10/14 6/16
Old Dec 9, '09, 10:41 am

Smile Re: Headcovering Outside Mass

Hello!
I also feel called to "cover" full time. I was wondering if anyone had any bible quotes that I could use to help explain to my husband? I notice a great deal of discussion reagarding types of covering. I just wanted to toss out my thought - I'm Catholic, I would want people to know that I am a Catholic who covers. Lastly, what do Catholics wear - manitila (sp).
So, as a covering Catholic that's what I would wear.
Any bible quotes would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 9, '09, 1:47 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecrated one View Post
Hello!
I also feel called to "cover" full time. I was wondering if anyone had any bible quotes that I could use to help explain to my husband? I notice a great deal of discussion reagarding types of covering. I just wanted to toss out my thought - I'm Catholic, I would want people to know that I am a Catholic who covers. Lastly, what do Catholics wear - manitila (sp).
So, as a covering Catholic that's what I would wear.
Any bible quotes would be greatly appreciated!
Well there's really just the one direct scripture quote that I know of, 1 Cor 11:4-15:

4 Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, 5 but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head--it is the same as if her head were shaven. 6 For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil. 7 For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 (For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 9 Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.) 10 That is why a woman ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels. 11 (Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; 12 for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God.) 13 Judge for yourselves; is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not nature itself teach you that for a man to wear long hair is degrading to him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is her pride? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

There are other mentions of a woman's hair being her glory, and then of a woman being subject in all things to her husband. So in a way, it's seen as a matter of respect and loyalty (is that the right word?) or exclusivisity to your husband. If you cover your head in everyday dress, then only your husband gets to appreciate your full glory as a woman. If that makes sense.

Consecrated one, you mentioed wanting to be able to explain this to your husband...what does your husband think about it now? Have you ever talked about it?

-ac

Old Dec 9, '09, 1:58 pm
Prayer Warrior

First of all, short of writing "Catholic" on your clothing.. the only way for people to know you are Catholic is if they notice, for instance your medallions, or your Crucifix.

there WILL be people who think you are Jewish, Muslim, or what not. just as some folks will assume you are in chemotherapy. when i wear head coverings, i generally dont get asked.... no one makes much of it.. but then i wear scarves that are colorful, match or go with my clothes, and do not look Muslim.... in some Jewish areas people ask me if i am Jewish. usually with a hesitant attitude since i "dont look Jewish".
but its best to simply prepare yourself to be asked these questions. and have a few stock answers.
most people, once they ask "are you Muslim" and you say "hmm? oh, no. Catholic,..."(smile) just drop the subject

i wear some wrap styles i learned form the jewish site www.tznius.com but you may also wish to look at these sites:
http://www.hijabtrendz.com/ (links, and video)
www.wegdan.com (some not so traditional Muslim wraps, inlcluding many that look very "hat" like)
and if you want more scarves and traditionally Muslim looks
http://www.veiledbydesign.com/produc...oducts_id=3056
but their sets are FABULOUS! with pins !

now biblically? well i am sure some other folks already pointed out stuff, but the "women should cover their hair for it is a glory of them" etc .. basically it is to be seen only by "intimates"
Old Dec 9, '09, 2:23 pm

Smile Re: Headcovering Outside Mass

Hello,
My husband is completely supportive of my covering at Mass and during prayer. He doesn't really understand why I would want to "clean house" or grocery shop covered. He thinks that's where it gets a bit extreame. I'm sure you'all
know we can get alot of prayer done scrubbing the tub! That's the area where we don't connect. I honestly think he'd be alittle embarrassed to be seen with me!
I just love the "Rosary Quote", makes my heart fill with joy!
I think I would be wise to follow your suggestion to have some "stock" answers ready! I don't think-on-my-feet so great!
Old Dec 9, '09, 2:41 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecrated one View Post
Hello,
My husband is completely supportive of my covering at Mass and during prayer. He doesn't really understand why I would want to "clean house" or grocery shop covered. He thinks that's where it gets a bit extreame. I'm sure you'all
know we can get alot of prayer done scrubbing the tub! That's the area where we don't connect. I honestly think he'd be alittle embarrassed to be seen with me!
Well it can always be tried on a trial basis, you know? I think that's how most women who cover full-time started. First at Mass, then at Mass and praying at home, etc. Maybe you could ask your husband if he would mind if you tried it for a week. Then you can go from there.

(Full disclosure: I cover my head at Mass and I don't cover full-time outside of Mass (yet), but I think it's awesome and I'm 100% supportive of women who are called to. )

-ac

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism