Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 4, '10, 10:52 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Protesters disrupt Pro Cathedral Mass (Dublin)

Quote:
Easter Sunday Mass at Dublin’s Pro Cathedral was briefly interrupted as protesters placed children’s shoes on the altar to represent the victims of clerical sex abuse.

About five people walked to the steps of the altar where one man shouted “shame” at Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, who was celebrating the packed Mass.

Other protesters who mingled outside the city centre cathedral claimed they also tried to leave shoes but were prevented by gardaí.

Rachael Moran, from Dublin, said she was disgusted that so many people had attended the Mass in the wake of the abuse revelations.

“We’re just a collection of Irish people who’ve had enough,” she said.

“I am beyond disgusted that there are hundreds and hundreds of people in that church, it just really goes to show how warped the Irish mindset is.”
Full article from The Irish Times

It doesn't say exactly what point of the Mass was disrupted. I certainly hope that it wasn't around the central point of the Mass - the consecration.

On the one hand, I understand the anger of these protesters; on the other, I feel that it's totally unacceptable that anyone should deliberately disrupt a service of any religious denomination... Unfortunately, with the situation the way it is in Ireland at the moment, it seems that protesters such as these are untouchable.

A similar protest occurred a number of weeks ago, but some of the protesters later apologised...it is rather ironic though, that, while the Pro Cathedral is one of the "main" churches in the country, it is the seat of the one bishop (Diarmuid Martin) who is regarded by most people (including survivors' groups) as being truly committed to dealing with the issue of abuse.
Old Apr 4, '10, 12:07 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Protesters disrupt Pro Cathedral Mass (Dublin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPC View Post
On the one hand, I understand the anger of these protesters; on the other, I feel that it's totally unacceptable that anyone should deliberately disrupt a service of any religious denomination... Unfortunately, with the situation the way it is in Ireland at the moment, it seems that protesters such as these are untouchable..
I agree that disrupting a church service in order to protest is unacceptable.

News of the planned protest broke on Saturday evening, so presumably the cathedral was prepared for it, and that was why the gardaí were able to stop the bulk of the protesters from entering.
Old Apr 4, '10, 12:09 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
...“They want to forget about it and get on with their lives.”...
By their actions, it does not appear to be the case though, does it?

Hail Mary, Full of Grace
the Lord is with You
Blessed are You amongst women
and Blessed is the Fruit of Thy womb, JESUS
Old Apr 4, '10, 12:11 pm

Quote:

It doesn't say exactly what point of the Mass was disrupted. I certainly hope that it wasn't around the central point of the Mass - the consecration.

On the one hand, I understand the anger of these protesters; on the other, I feel that it's totally unacceptable that anyone should deliberately disrupt a service of any religious denomination... Unfortunately, with the situation the way it is in Ireland at the moment, it seems that protesters such as these are untouchable.

A similar protest occurred a number of weeks ago, but some of the protesters later apologised...it is rather ironic though, that, while the Pro Cathedral is one of the "main" churches in the country, it is the seat of the one bishop (Diarmuid Martin) who is regarded by most people (including survivors' groups) as being truly committed to dealing with the issue of abuse.
I watched the report on this on this evening's RTE news with my husband (non-Catholic) and teenage daughter. As the pictures of Dr Martin being confronted by hostile and angry protesters filled our screen, my husband turned to me and said, 'Isn't he one of the good guys? What is it that these people want?', to which my daughter replied ''To be on television'.

Out of the mouths of children....?
Old Apr 4, '10, 12:17 pm

This is my favourite bit:

Quote:
Rachael Moran, from Dublin, said she was disgusted that so many people had attended the Mass in the wake of the abuse revelations.

“We’re just a collection of Irish people who’ve had enough,” she said.

I am beyond disgusted that there are hundreds and hundreds of people in that church, it just really goes to show how warped the Irish mindset is.”
Speaking of a warped mindset, what kind of twisted thinking would lead one to be disgusted at people attending Mass on Easter Sunday?
Old Apr 4, '10, 12:31 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic and loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Belle View Post
I watched the report on this on this evening's RTE news with my husband (non-Catholic) and teenage daughter. As the pictures of Dr Martin being confronted by hostile and angry protesters filled our screen, my husband turned to me and said, 'Isn't he one of the good guys? What is it that these people want?', to which my daughter replied ''To be on television'.

Out of the mouths of children....?
That's so true!

“I think You’ve gone mad in Your love for us.”
St. Catherine of Siena, to God
Old Apr 4, '10, 1:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
This is my favourite bit:

Speaking of a warped mindset, what kind of twisted thinking would lead one to be disgusted at people attending Mass on Easter Sunday?
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the account. Going to Mass means you support abuse?
Old Apr 4, '10, 2:52 pm
Banned

Religion: OHCAC

Quote:

i am just wondering, do we know that these people are Catholics? we know that Catholics are not welcomed in ireland anyway. so, could these groups be anti Catholics?
Old Apr 4, '10, 3:10 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomseeker View Post
i am just wondering, do we know that these people are Catholics? we know that Catholics are not welcomed in ireland anyway. so, could these groups be anti Catholics?
Judging by some of the comments in the article, it would appear that they are not Catholics. However, it's hard to know at the moment - some people have rather odd ideas of what it means to be a Catholic: so many people are fond of reminding us all that "we are the Church" - but only when it suits apparently...

As YellowBelle's daughter said in her youthful wisdom, many of these people wanted to get on television: they are attention seekers...It probably wouldn't be going too far to describe them as anti-Catholics - as I and others have said, the Archbishop of Dublin is regarded as one of the "good guys". He has met repeatedly with victims and has given them unwavering support - what do these people really think they have to gain by disrupting the public worship of Catholics on the most sacred of days as it's being celebrated by one of the greatest supporters of their plight (i.e. Dr Martin)? Whether the people in question are Catholic or not, their actions today were unwise to say the least - shouting down one's strongest supporters ought to be the last thing one would do.
Old Apr 4, '10, 3:36 pm

In fairness, it should be pointed out that today's protest involved only about 12 people, and the previous 'walk-out' about 20 people. One of those involved in the walk-out has apologised for causing disruption. He also admitted that neither he nor most of those who took part were church-goers. In other words, they only went to Mass so they could walk out.
Old Apr 4, '10, 3:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
Judging by some of the comments in the article, it would appear that they are not Catholics. However, it's hard to know at the moment - some people have rather odd ideas of what it means to be a Catholic: so many people are fond of reminding us all that "we are the Church" - but only when it suits apparently...

As YellowBelle's daughter said in her youthful wisdom, many of these people wanted to get on television: they are attention seekers...It probably wouldn't be going too far to describe them as anti-Catholics - as I and others have said, the Archbishop of Dublin is regarded as one of the "good guys". He has met repeatedly with victims and has given them unwavering support - what do these people really think they have to gain by disrupting the public worship of Catholics on the most sacred of days as it's being celebrated by one of the greatest supporters of their plight (i.e. Dr Martin)? Whether the people in question are Catholic or not, their actions today were unwise to say the least - shouting down one's strongest supporters ought to be the last thing one would do.

I understand. but if these people are not Catholics, it would be easy for us to understand why they are doing so. it woud be better for us to know that they are not Catholics against the Church. we need to recognize that haters of the Church are the ones acting in bringing all this against the Church, trying to get publicity against the Church.
Old Apr 4, '10, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomseeker View Post
I understand. but if these people are not Catholics, it would be easy for us to understand why they are doing so. it woud be better for us to know that they are not Catholics against the Church. we need to recognize that haters of the Church are the ones acting in bringing all this against the Church, trying to get publicity against the Church.
Right now in Ireland even faithful Catholics are angry with the Church, and justifiably so. The Church has betrayed their trust and failed to protect children. They do not hate the Church per se, rather they want to be able to trust it again.
Old Apr 4, '10, 5:19 pm
Banned

Quote:
Right now in Ireland even faithful Catholics are angry with the Church, and justifiably so. The Church has betrayed their trust and failed to protect children. They do not hate the Church per se, rather they want to be able to trust it again.

i quite understand the angry of the Catholics agaisnt the Church. but are they the ones coming against the CC like lions?
Old Apr 4, '10, 5:28 pm

Religion: Catholic-Finally Came Home!

I find this all so sad. I know firsthand that abuse happens--and children are not always protected....even when they say something....and there was no church involved.....it happens everywhere. Why everyone wants to slay the Catholic church is beyond me. For me, it was the first place--all these years later where I've found true healing! And one of the first to help--with a tender heart....a priest.
Old Apr 4, '10, 5:33 pm
Banned

They're protesting to the good guy, the Church was packed, soon the feelings I have for these people will turn from compassion to defense, to Crucify Him, give us Barabbas !

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News