Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 16, '12, 10:39 am

Default Re: Why are Catholics are against Gay couples adopting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by User124 View Post
I'm sure that children who face hunger and need a family won't care if the couples are gay if they are treating them well.

Here's a good speech.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLZO-sObzQ
Who are these hungry children? The children gays and lesbians adopt are either in foster care or newborns. Foster children are not starving, regardless what the mainstream liberal media claims. And when do we start listening to the opinions of children? Last time I checked children are not capable of deciding who would be the best caretaker for them.
Old Aug 16, '12, 10:56 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Man View Post
I wouldn't brag about that, if I were you.

Besides, you don't think for yourself. Nothing you've said is unique, profound, deep, or correct. The entire movement you support says these things all the time these days. It's been said for thousands of years, to varying degrees. It was wrong then, it has never born itself out, and yet keyboard philosphers like yourself somehow think "I've finally nailed it!" The only constant in the last two thousand years is the existence of the Church, and the existence of groups of people railing against the Church and thinking they are finally going to bring down the Church's faulty teachings.

Yawn.

Got it.

"I believe in one research study, the Father of the Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth..."

Ringil claimed to be a therapist; who said anything about being open-minded. In this topic, open-minded means "agrees with you."

Rebelling against authority does not make you "open-minded." My two-year old does that.
Well I don't see the church as authoritative. When I said "open minded" I simply meant not blatantly biased because of his/her religious beliefs.
Old Aug 16, '12, 10:58 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix View Post
That is a silly phrase used by those who do not think critically.
Those who do not think critically? Saying that the Catholic church is 100% right on issues of faith and morals and it cannot be debated is thinking critically? Maybe your definition of critical thinking is different than my own.
Old Aug 16, '12, 11:21 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedman View Post
Well I don't see the church as authoritative. When I said "open minded" I simply meant not blatantly biased because of his/her religious beliefs.
Everyone is biased by something. If you mean able to critically view something, even those who adhere to the tenets of a faith can do that.

Besides, when did open-mindedness become a virtue? I don't think it is bad per se, but i certainly don't think it trumps obedience, for example. I realize it, like tolerance, are two pillars of the liberal mindset (no offense intended here), but that does not make it of value in and of itself either.
Old Aug 16, '12, 11:30 am
Banned

Quote:
Everyone is biased by something. If you mean able to critically view something, even those who adhere to the tenets of a faith can do that.

Besides, when did open-mindedness become a virtue? I don't think it is bad per se, but i certainly don't think it trumps obedience, for example. I realize it, like tolerance, are two pillars of the liberal mindset (no offense intended here), but that does not make it of value in and of itself either.
Obedience? What if you were a nazi soldier? Is obedience a virtue then? You have to be open minded to realize if the orders you are getting are wrong. Obedience is not a virtue unless you are a dog.
Old Aug 16, '12, 11:52 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicanne View Post
Who are these hungry children? The children gays and lesbians adopt are either in foster care or newborns. Foster children are not starving, regardless what the mainstream liberal media claims. And when do we start listening to the opinions of children? Last time I checked children are not capable of deciding who would be the best caretaker for them.
Yes this canard is often trotted out to support same sex couples adopting. There a shortage of adoptable babies and children with people paying tens of thousands to adopt overseas. One of my friends is an adoptoin agency that only places special needs children. She said they always have a "waiting list" of couples wanting to adopt.

As to foster children, unfortunately they are often NOT available for adoption. It's unfortunate but there are often lengthy, years long processes before parental rights are terminated or relinquished. So while this is a source of adoptable children, most foster children are only temporarily away from their family.

It's the same line of baloney that claims we must keep abortion legal 'because of rape and incest" when this is a minute fraction of such pregnancies. It just makes good drama for the Left as does the Oliver Twist image of starving children languishing away waiting for Suzy and Sally to adopt them.

Lisa
Old Aug 16, '12, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Obedience? What if you were a nazi soldier? Is obedience a virtue then? You have to be open minded to realize if the orders you are getting are wrong. Obedience is not a virtue unless you are a dog.

As Catholics, it is a virtue. I'm sure you didn't intend to label Catholics as dogs. You presume Catholics don't examine history, 2000 years of teachings, and other factors label them as not open-minded. One can consider something with an open-mind and still see it as foolishness.

Again, who deemed being open-minded virtuous in and of itself anyway? It really depends on your definition.
Old Aug 16, '12, 1:51 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
Yes this canard is often trotted out to support same sex couples adopting. There a shortage of adoptable babies and children with people paying tens of thousands to adopt overseas. One of my friends is an adoptoin agency that only places special needs children. She said they always have a "waiting list" of couples wanting to adopt.

As to foster children, unfortunately they are often NOT available for adoption. It's unfortunate but there are often lengthy, years long processes before parental rights are terminated or relinquished. So while this is a source of adoptable children, most foster children are only temporarily away from their family.

It's the same line of baloney that claims we must keep abortion legal 'because of rape and incest" when this is a minute fraction of such pregnancies. It just makes good drama for the Left as does the Oliver Twist image of starving children languishing away waiting for Suzy and Sally to adopt them.

Lisa
Its easy to dismiss abortions "because of rape and incest" like I did until I found a woman extremely close to me had an abortion after being raped. It can really put things into perspective.
Old Aug 16, '12, 2:34 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Its easy to dismiss abortions "because of rape and incest" like I did until I found a woman extremely close to me had an abortion after being raped. It can really put things into perspective.
Once again instead of actually speaking to the issue, you used words like "dismiss" when the point was that aborting 50million babies since Roe would hardly be justified by the few really tragic situations of rape. As with same sex pairs and their supporters claiming there are all of these starving orphans that would have no home without these courageous homosexuals taking them on, the reality is that there are more than enough married male/female couples wanting to adopt that standards do not need to be relaxed to allow the tiny fraction of such situations change the rules for the majority. Children need a mother and a father. If they are raised without one or the other, by absence, divorce or death, it impacts the child. Why go out of your way to allow children to be deliberately adopted into a less than optimal situation? BTW this is not simple "homophobia" although that's the kneejerk response. I feel the same way about singles adopting or who creating children through IVF. They compromise the child for what IMO are generally very selfish reasons.

Lisa
Old Aug 16, '12, 3:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure you didn't intend to label Catholics as dogs.

(Actually, one never knows for sure.)

He Man, you are in rare form the last 2 days. Appreciating your eloquence on certain threads and your dry wit.
Old Aug 17, '12, 6:43 am

Quote:
Those who do not think critically?
Yes, those who claim one is "open-minded" mean one agrees with them. That label is used as a cudgel on those who disagree.

Quote:
Saying that the Catholic church is 100% right on issues of faith and morals and it cannot be debated is thinking critically?
Well that is an argument I can defend but that is not the point here.

Quote:
Maybe your definition of critical thinking is different than my own.
Indeed.
Old Aug 17, '12, 6:44 am

Quote:
What is truth?
Old Aug 17, '12, 10:59 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Oh, that's right. We can't kill the perpetrator of the crime, but it's ok to kill the other victim.

I guess that's openminded so it has to be good.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
CS Lewis–God in the Dock, 1948

Old Aug 17, '12, 11:17 am

Quote:
No it can't. Unless you let it. Emotions should not rule our lives or make us immoral.

If you want perspective, place yourself in the position of the baby about to be killed.
Old Aug 17, '12, 12:49 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix View Post
What is truth?
Well in my opinion, its not the church.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice