Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 21, '09, 7:52 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to ladybri77
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathia View Post
What else is there for those that feel nothing? I went to church for the first two decades and some of my life. I have felt nothing, I have never felt God or Jesus, or anything. Church is merely this cold place where I feel lonely, because no one there wants to be a part of my life.

What is there for someone, when God does not appear to be there? I try so hard, but I have never felt anything special at any point in my life outside of the company of other human beings in friendship and created families, since my own are not comfortable with my chosen way of living despite the fact I am not sexually active. Simply, they are not comfortable in the fact I will not 'cure' myself and marry.

How can you ask someone to give something up, because of something they don't ever feel?
Pathia, you need to get with a group of spiritually-minded, loving people who will support you in what you're going through. There's a group called Courage which is a Catholic ministry consisting of other same-sex strugglers which will help you in what you're going through. This group is approved by the Holy See. You can contact the Courage office which is in Manhattan, not sure the address, but you can go on line and look up Courage, a Catholic group for homosexual people who want to remain celibate. Blessings to you.
Old Jan 21, '09, 7:57 am

Religion: Lapsed/Former Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybri77 View Post
Pathia, you need to get with a group of spiritually-minded, loving people who will support you in what you're going through. There's a group called Courage which is a Catholic ministry consisting of other same-sex strugglers which will help you in what you're going through. This group is approved by the Holy See. You can contact the Courage office which is in Manhattan, not sure the address, but you can go on line and look up Courage, a Catholic group for homosexual people who want to remain celibate. Blessings to you.
Courage does not really offer help to those with my particular cross. I have contacted them before. They are friendly, but don't really understand my situation.
Old Jan 21, '09, 7:59 am

What is your situation?

Please read my other two posts above. Thanks.
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:00 am

Religion: Unitarian

Quote:
Homosexuality is not a disease, it's part of our fallen sin nature. Evil came into the world as a result of our disobedience toward God in the garden, and man since then struggles with sin. Most often people develop homosexual tendencies from many things such as a deep hurt from the past, sexual violations to them in childhood, cold, absent or abusive fathers and mothers (we all need proper mothering and fathering to grow and nurture us into loving, mature adults). Jesus teaches abstinence for all single adults. It's true, it is a cross, but it can be offered up to God for His greater glory. Ask Him for His Grace to help you overcome and ask what His will is for you. A homosexual can be used in powerful ways if he submits himself completely to Christ and His will for them. Blessings.

not true
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:02 am

Quote:
What is your situation?

Please read my other two posts above. Thanks.
Intersexism combined with transsexuality and bisexuality. Things out of scope of this thread and out of the scope of Courage, which is why they are polite, friendly, but admit they have little input for me.
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teen4Christ View Post

not true
http://wthrockmorton.com/2009/01/20/...pective-study/

Warren's discussing a new study here, which seems to indicate physical/mental abuse does not cause homosexuality. Sex abuse does not seem to cause homosexuality in women, though it does seem to increase it in men, but it's not a hard fast rule.
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:08 am

Quote:
http://wthrockmorton.com/2009/01/20/...pective-study/

Warren's discussing a new study here, which seems to indicate physical/mental abuse does not cause homosexuality. Sex abuse does not seem to cause homosexuality in women, though it does seem to increase it in men, but it's not a hard fast rule.

I myself have neve been sexually abused, nor have any of my friends.
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teen4Christ View Post

I myself have neve been sexually abused, nor have any of my friends.
Yes, it's just one thing that MAY make the way fertile for homosexuality, it's not an absolute. There may be many things all together in a given situation. Sometimes people may have everything going for them, but somewhere along the way, they believed a lie. I've read many books on the subject, and it seems most people who developed this either believed a mistruth or were abused in some way, emotionally, physically, sexually, but not true in every case. I will read about the study above.

Pathia, have you tried Exodus International? They accept everyone who have a sexually related issue such as yours. Peace.
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:34 am

Quote:

Pathia, have you tried Exodus International? They accept everyone who have a sexually related issue such as yours. Peace.
No, I will not touch that organization with a thousand foot pole.

I was treated by Exodus and NARTH therapists (Or at least those that believed their techniques) in my youth, I have now been in therapy for over a decade to undo the trauma that was done to me as a child. I consider what they did to me child abuse. I could never return to them
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:36 am

Quote:
Yes, it's just one thing that MAY make the way fertile for homosexuality, it's not an absolute. There may be many things all together in a given situation. Sometimes people may have everything going for them, but somewhere along the way, they believed a lie. I've read many books on the subject, and it seems most people who developed this either believed a mistruth or were abused in some way, emotionally, physically, sexually, but not true in every case. I will read about the study above.

Fair enough...

Don't suggest exodus to people! they brainwash people
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:45 am

Quote:
No, I will not touch that organization with a thousand foot pole.

I was treated by Exodus and NARTH therapists (Or at least those that believed their techniques) in my youth, I have now been in therapy for over a decade to undo the trauma that was done to me as a child. I consider what they did to me child abuse. I could never return to them
I'm surprised. I've only heard positive things coming out of Exodus and Narth. They teach about the importance of staying close to Christ, turning away from the behavior, and preach His teachings.

In response to Teen...I read Warren's study, you have to agree there is an increase in abused men who have homosexual attractions, even though small. You know, every testimonial of gays coming out of the lifestyle I've read, all report some kind of problem with a strained relationship with parents, peer group or violation by someone. Praise God, they're all free now with maybe small temptation but nothing like before!
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:47 am

Quote:
I'm surprised. I've only heard positive things coming out of Exodus and Narth. They teach about the importance of staying close to Christ, turning away from the behavior, and preach His teachings.
Under their watch I tried to commit suicide four times. The first time I tried to hang myself at the age of eight. By the time I was 17, half of the kids I knew from the therapy group I was in were dead by suicide.

They teach you the color pink is evil, and shouldn't be touched. They have your parents punish you for playing with the wrong toys, or playing with the wrong gendered kids. They encourage the mocking and teasing at school, because it 'toughens' kids up. They forced me to play rough and tumble sports, the forced me to do so many things. I had to wear a rubber band on my wrist and if I did anything 'effeminate' I was supposed to snap myself with it, if I didn't do it, my parents were asked to do it for me.

I had to listen to these weird tapes at night with a monotone voice talking about how great it was to be a man and how great it would be to have sex with my wife (I was only like 15 with that). It was absurd and abusive and disgustingly disturbing.
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:48 am

Exclamation Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
I would like to disagree with you on this. The Catholic church does not say that this is inborn. It is a part of man's fallen nature, but no one is "born gay". This is a myth and has never been proven. You are right when you say that one does not choose homosexual desires (see post above), but one can choose his actions, and the actions are what is a sin according to the church's teachings. We all have a choice on how to act in any given situation.
Are you going to deny the official teachings of the Catholic church?

CCC 2357

Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

For those of you without dictionaries:

Intrinsic - Adj. belonging to a thing by its very nature: the intrinsic value of a gold ring.

The catechism clearly states that it is homosexual actions which are to be avoided. By stating that these actions are intrincally disordered, the church is saying that it is inborn in the homosexual individual. One should not hold the homosexual in contempt for his/her sexuality alone. It is what we do with these feelings that matters to God. Homosexual actions are no different, in the eyes of the church, than heterosexuals who have sex out of wedlock or with contraception. It is a misuse of the purpose of the sex act, and therefore, is sinful.
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc22488 View Post
Are you going to deny the official teachings of the Catholic church?

CCC 2357

Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

For those of you without dictionaries:

Intrinsic - Adj. belonging to a thing by its very nature: the intrinsic value of a gold ring.

The catechism clearly states that it is homosexual actions which are to be avoided. By stating that these actions are intrincally disordered, the church is saying that it is inborn in the homosexual individual. One should not hold the homosexual in contempt for his/her sexuality alone. It is what we do with these feelings that matters to God. Homosexual actions are no different, in the eyes of the church, than heterosexuals who have sex out of wedlock or with contraception. It is a misuse of the purpose of the sex act, and therefore, is sinful.
I think intrinsically meaning here as man's fallen sin nature. It's never been proven that man is born with homosexuality, we are born sinful. I think there are predominant factors which preclude someone feeling homosexual, strained relationships with parents, peer group or violations to a person. However, I could be wrong since it has never been proven if one is born gay. That's the problem with the gay community wanting marriage - they all believe they are "born gay" and are entitled to the same rights as heterosexuals - I don't believe it.
Old Jan 21, '09, 8:55 am

Quote:
Under their watch I tried to commit suicide four times. The first time I tried to hang myself at the age of eight. By the time I was 17, half of the kids I knew from the therapy group I was in were dead by suicide.

They teach you the color pink is evil, and shouldn't be touched. They have your parents punish you for playing with the wrong toys, or playing with the wrong gendered kids. They encourage the mocking and teasing at school, because it 'toughens' kids up. They forced me to play rough and tumble sports, the forced me to do so many things. I had to wear a rubber band on my wrist and if I did anything 'effeminate' I was supposed to snap myself with it, if I didn't do it, my parents were asked to do it for me.

I had to listen to these weird tapes at night with a monotone voice talking about how great it was to be a man and how great it would be to have sex with my wife (I was only like 15 with that). It was absurd and abusive and disgustingly disturbing.

crazy place it is

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology