Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 22, '09, 2:18 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
Anne Heche might disagree with you, since she has switched twice, apparently of her own volition. If that is not a choice, what is? Agreed that not all are so empowered.

Also, please consider that many who have come to see the disordered nature of the lifestyle (not the inclination!) have either become celibate, or a few even have successful heterosexual relationships. One who posts on these forums viewed the inclination as their "cross to bear", and has come out of the lifestyle.

IMO, it is not natural, but it is also not hopeless. Not with God.

You are right: it's a "choice", more precisely "forgotten choice".
Old Jan 22, '09, 3:25 am

Repent and sin no more. If a woman is so replusive to you I guess you have brought this on yourself. You have two choices, be celibate or
Quote:
find a nice lady to love. and marry her. Many men have done this.
Would the church even recognize the marriage of a homosexual man and heterosexual woman?

Can gay persons ever truly change their orientation or are they just forcing themselves into a lifestyle that will never be true to their nature? Since I don't carry the burden of homosexuality, I can't speak with any authority on the subject. However, I do know it would be impossible for me to simply make a decision to switch over to the other side. Wouldn't the same be true for homosexuals?
Old Jan 22, '09, 3:40 am

"What should a homosexual person do?"

Pray, discipline himself / herself, and abstain. Seek chastity, and full dedication to God.
Old Jan 22, '09, 5:11 am

Send a message via AIM to ladybri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin42 View Post
Good points indeed! As I said, I wish I could find something more in depth and authoritative on this issue, but I have yet to come across such a thing.

I should also clarify that I was not implying that all men with SSA are incapable of getting married and fulfilling the duties that come with marriage. I was simply saying that in my discussions with others, this is something that has come up as possibly being important in discerning ones vocation.

Peace and good!
I know a priest who identified as "gay" but follows the teaching of the church on celibacy and remains "abstinent". He was a member of Courage. The Catholic church allows one to become a priest if they remain celibate and abstinent.
Old Jan 22, '09, 7:33 am

Religion: Unitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf83 View Post
Repent and sin no more. If a woman is so replusive to you I guess you have brought this on yourself. You have two choices, be celibate or

Would the church even recognize the marriage of a homosexual man and heterosexual woman?

Can gay persons ever truly change their orientation or are they just forcing themselves into a lifestyle that will never be true to their nature? Since I don't carry the burden of homosexuality, I can't speak with any authority on the subject. However, I do know it would be impossible for me to simply make a decision to switch over to the other side. Wouldn't the same be true for homosexuals?
Uhh...how did we bring this upon ourselves?
Old Jan 22, '09, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAnastasia View Post
That Facebook group has 46,000 members, mostly young. It's partly a generational thing.
I'm glad to be apart of the most tolerant and diverse generation ever

Old Jan 22, '09, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonja View Post
My problem is about language or words... I have a friend called (by "common people") "homosexual" : I don't know if I should say "he" or "she"... Before I thought "he" is a boy, but after I discover this "boy" is a "homosexual" I wonder "it" is a "boy" or a "girl"?
yeah? me too... i have a heterosexual friend, maybe he or she coz she got short hair and wear pants... before i thought she's a girl, but after i discover she's straight i wonder should i say "hey girl" or "hey *****"..? LOL... i dont get what you mean anyway..
Old Jan 22, '09, 8:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
Anne Heche might disagree with you, since she has switched twice, apparently of her own volition. If that is not a choice, what is? Agreed that not all are so empowered.

Also, please consider that many who have come to see the disordered nature of the lifestyle (not the inclination!) have either become celibate, or a few even have successful heterosexual relationships. One who posts on these forums viewed the inclination as their "cross to bear", and has come out of the lifestyle.

IMO, it is not natural, but it is also not hopeless. Not with God.
well, Bishop Gene Robinson might disagree with you too. Anne Heche might probably not a lesbian. she was just confused about her identity after experienced a traumatic history for being molested by her own dad. you miss such point where gay male/female experience a natural SSA. for my experience, living with discrimination, prejudices, insults, religious bigotry as a gay Catholic, being thwarts as sinful, being rejected Communion, and having difficulties to find a lover because hateful straight-men being dominant in my area aka LONELY, yeah it is a "cross to bear". gosh i could just go to gaybar, one-nite-stand and become atheist. yeah, you can be so confident telling yourself that you are born to be celibate and if you can't, you SHOULD. i also use to think black people are not natural. because the pictures told Jesus is white, sometimes brunett or blonde. since He is God, and he made people in His image there is no way people are born black. it's NOT natural. yeah but it's not hopeless because you have God. brother, your theory is at stake. really, i pray that God will change you to caucasian because it's norm. oh wait, you are! LOL.

Sancta Mariae, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis.
Lord Jesus show us your Divine Mercy.
Old Jan 22, '09, 8:21 am

Quote:
"To be a gay or lesbian Christian these days, you have to have a bulletproof faith. As Archbishop Desmond Tutu noted in his endorsement of the book: "Gay and lesbian Christians are constantly demoralized and told they are not children of God. Bulletproof Faith reassures gays and lesbians that God loves them just as they were created and teaches them how to stand strong, with compassion and gentleness, against those who condemn them."

From <http://whosoever.org/index.shtml>
amen to that in-nomine Christe.
Old Jan 22, '09, 8:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teen4Christ View Post

I disagree, most gays are not brainwashed, the only gays that are are those who choose to deny their feelings and ex-gays
gosh.. been there, done that! Amen to you. God bles you in-nomine Christe.
Old Jan 22, '09, 8:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by caydamien02 View Post
gosh.. been there, done that! Amen to you. God bles you in-nomine Christe.
Yes, trying to be "normal" has been for me and is for everyone I assume a painfully difficult experience(and one that's not worth it)
Old Jan 22, '09, 9:21 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic from conviction

Quote of the Gospel:
Romans 1:25

"They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator - who is forever praised.
Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

End of quote of the Holy Bible.
There are many other words in the Bible that clarify the perversion of homosexuality!

Interesting to see, how some people twist these holy words of the gospel into their own way of thinking - and set ill thoughts above the gospel.
Old Jan 22, '09, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Schulz View Post
Quote of the Gospel:
Romans 1:25

"They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator - who is forever praised.
Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

End of quote of the Holy Bible.
There are many other words in the Bible that clarify the perversion of homosexuality!

Interesting to see, how some people twist these holy words of the gospel into their own way of thinking - and set ill thoughts above the gospel.
Bruno, how does these words apply to hermaphrodites with mixed chromosomes?

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ
Old Jan 22, '09, 9:48 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teen4Christ View Post
I'm glad to be apart of the most tolerant and diverse generation ever
I live in a blue state, in an urban area with numerous universities, vibrant churches, and a thriving art and music scene. It's not surprising, therefore, that there is a very large LGBT population, and that most "straight" people have a number of LGBT friends and acquaintances.

It's not the same elsewhere. One of my friends is from Youngstown, Ohio; he "came out" as a gay man when he came to this city for graduate study in theology. I asked him what you do if you are born in Youngstown, and discover at puberty that you are gay. He said "There is no option -- you get out of Youngstown."

I wonder what the psychological landscape will look like when the majority of the American population -- not just educated, well-traveled, cosmopolitan people in university towns -- has met and worked with gay people. What will it be like when most "straight" people know LGBTs not as monsters or sexual predators or gay-pride-parading-whips-and-chains-perverts or remote TV personalities, but rather as friends and colleagues, as parents and neighbors, as teachers and scout masters, as school board members and soccer coaches. It will be interesting to see what the death of an older generation will bring about in terms of an attitudinal shift.
Old Jan 22, '09, 1:04 pm

Quote:
I live in a blue state, in an urban area with numerous universities, vibrant churches, and a thriving art and music scene. It's not surprising, therefore, that there is a very large LGBT population, and that most "straight" people have a number of LGBT friends and acquaintances.

It's not the same elsewhere. One of my friends is from Youngstown, Ohio; he "came out" as a gay man when he came to this city for graduate study in theology. I asked him what you do if you are born in Youngstown, and discover at puberty that you are gay. He said "There is no option -- you get out of Youngstown."

I wonder what the psychological landscape will look like when the majority of the American population -- not just educated, well-traveled, cosmopolitan people in university towns -- has met and worked with gay people. What will it be like when most "straight" people know LGBTs not as monsters or sexual predators or gay-pride-parading-whips-and-chains-perverts or remote TV personalities, but rather as friends and colleagues, as parents and neighbors, as teachers and scout masters, as school board members and soccer coaches. It will be interesting to see what the death of an older generation will bring about in terms of an attitudinal shift.
Are you trying to imply that homosexuals are...HUMANS just like heterosexuals?! With good ones and bad ones?! With healthy ones and sick ones?!

/sarcasm

No disrespect intended but I think the problem is that many people often just focus on "sexuality" instead of seeing behind the facade, instead of seeing the person created in God's image.

I guess we can agree that homosexual acts are grave sins, but who of us is without sin? We ought to stay true to the faith, but that does not require treating others like they were highly contageous mutants...
And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required."Luke 12:48.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology