Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 24, '17, 6:04 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Catholic Answers Live" spreading misinformation about sexual abuse and the John Jay Report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnvinc View Post
This sort of reminds me of prison culture where a number of presumably heterosexual males engage in homosexual activity, I think with younger men who are somewhat effeminate due to their young age. That is what is available to them.
I was thinking something along those lines. Partly because yesterday I read something referring to the reverse -- some others here may have read it too -- a phrase like "heterosexual enough to have sex with a woman". I won't get into the context it was in yesterday, but that phrase and the like always kind of catch my attention ... I'm no expert and don't even know a huge number of gay men, but I doubt very many are not "heterosexual enough to have sex with a woman" (if we want to call it that). Just as conversely I doubt there are many heterosexual men who would be incapable of having sex with another man.
Old May 24, '17, 6:38 am

Default Re: "Catholic Answers Live" spreading misinformation about sexual abuse and the John Jay Report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
I was thinking something along those lines. Partly because yesterday I read something referring to the reverse -- some others here may have read it too -- a phrase like "heterosexual enough to have sex with a woman". I won't get into the context it was in yesterday, but that phrase and the like always kind of catch my attention ... I'm no expert and don't even know a huge number of gay men, but I doubt very many are not "heterosexual enough to have sex with a woman" (if we want to call it that). Just as conversely I doubt there are many heterosexual men who would be incapable of having sex with another man.
Back in the day when it was highly unacceptable to be gay, many gay men would marry women, and apparently had regular relations with their wives. Then when it became more acceptable to be gay in the late 1960s, many divorced their wives and took up with men. I had a friend married to such a man and she was both extremely surprised and devastated when he divorced her to shift to a gay lifestyle. She had had no inkling that he was gay.

Also there was a sociological study done in the late 60s, which is used as a classic example of ethics violation (re deception used to get the info), "Tearoom trade: a study of homosexual encounters in public places." It is about heterosexual married men who went to a public restroom for homosexual encounters. The researcher posed as a lookout for them, got their car license info, had a police friend look up their addresses, then later in a different disguise went to their homes as a salesperson and saw they were married, living regular lives. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tearoo...ote-ttmenace-1

Now having said that, I do know that our world is increasingly polluted by hormone-disrupters in our water, food, and general environment.....some which have been shown to make same sex birds nest together producing infertile eggs. There are some biological aspects to homosexuality, but for humans I think a lot of it if not most of it is cultural (learned).

A female colleague I had at a university had been beaten and mistreated by her father, then later by her husband, whom she divorced. One day she wandered into a church that seemed very warm and friendly. It turned out to be a church for gay people (or accepting of gay people). She eventually became gay. But there was always something very dark, dreary, and sad about her. Sad story. We need to treat people well.

"Preach the Gospel at all times and if necessary use words."
-- St. Francis of Assisi

"I want to spend my Heaven doing good on Earth."
-- St. Therese of the Child Jesus
Old May 24, '17, 8:21 am

Religion: Syro-Malankara Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
I don't know a huge number of gay men, but I've been friends with both gay men and women from high school to today -- all of them had at some point dated those of the opposite sex and been able to be in relations with them for the time being (I'm not aware, nor do I want to know about intimate details). However, I don't know ANY heterosexual men that are capable of willingly having sex with another man -- other than prison rape or assault being done, I don't have the mental ability to be aroused in the physical vicinity of other heterosexual men, let alone gay men.
Old May 24, '17, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
Yes. IMO it is confirmation bias.
Many/most of these priests who abused do not have attraction to adult males or adult females. Hence, pedophilia.
I've posted the above stats many times here on CAF but many do not pay attention to them. I assume they want to blame much of the abuse on homosexuality but...sorry, Charlie, it cannot be done.

Old Today, 3:04 am

Religion: assent to degrees of inference

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeInTheWater View Post

It does seem that the "SSA" term is unique to Christians in the US, though. The Pope himself has spoken about "gay people" and the need to be compassionate to them.
There are people who have known an SSA who are not "gay".

The lobby tells them that they are, they don't tell themselves that.

Who the Pope was talking about was who the Pope was talking about. He can choose who he is talking about, at any time.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)