Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 20, '17, 4:34 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Which Bible(s) ya got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Child
I have four different Ronald Know New Testaments: one bound in leather from the forties, one bound in flexible cloth from the forties, and two different hardcovers from the forties and early fifties, both of which are totally beautiful. The British seem to do a particularly nice job when it comes to publishing Bibles, but maybe I've just been lucky finding what I have.
I find that very interesting, seeing as how the first editions of the Knox Bible didn't come out until after the war! I wonder if the leather bound ones are custom bound, or if they were issued that way from the publisher?

You are right about the British Bibles though. I think the British reader expects a higher caliber of production than the US reader. I think this has always been true, going back to Colonial times. Plus, the book arts are just highly developed in England, whereas in the US we strive to equal their quality but always with an eye toward lowest possible cost. But that's just my opinion, for what it's worth. IOW, in England, a sumptuous Bible will be produced and actually sell out, whereas in the US, it will be admired, but considered too expensive, and thus languish. For example, in 1825 the first and only grand folio Catholic Bible was printed in Philadelphia. It was very costly, and its quality was very close to the London edition of 1811-14. However it languished in the warehouse till beyond the 1870's!!

“Reflect, Gentlemen, how many disputes you must have listened to, which were interminable, because neither party understood either his opponent or himself” --John Henry Newman
Old Jul 20, '17, 4:51 am

Religion: Catholic

NJB
Old Jul 22, '17, 1:57 pm

Douay-Rheims, New Jerusalem, NAB ce, King James, New King James Study Bible, RSVCE.
I wish there were Catholic Study Bibles as in depth and feature loaded as our Protestant brethern have. The Ignatius is getting close, probably do to the efforts of Scott Hahn, converted Protestant. Iwould gladly fork out money for a Catholic Study Bible that had the historical and cultural notes that my protestant study Bible does, and also incorporated the teachings of the various Councils and Papal documents showing the synthesis between Sacred Scripture, Holy Tradition and the fullness of magesterial teaching.
Old Jul 22, '17, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesrock View Post
  • KJV
  • NRSV CE
  • Didache Bible - NABRE
  • Navarre Bible (RSV; all volumes)
  • 1953 Confraternity Bible (Confraternity - Douay OT and Confraternity NT)
  • Quest Bible (NIV) (this was given to my now Catholic wife when she was Baptist)
  • Jewish Annotated New Testament (NRSV, NT only)

I'd like to get a no-commentary Ignatius Bible (RSV-2CE) for simplicity and the complete Ignatius Catholic Study Bible once released, along with Oxford's Orthodox Study Bible when able. Haydock's Bible is something I'd like as well. I think I'd also like an ESV at some point, though I doubt that will get a Catholic Edition anytime soon.

I also have Aquinas' Catena Aurea (Gospel commentary), and a few other NT single-book commentaries.

Now I just need to finish reading them all!
Do not look for a Catholic ESV. The organization behind that Bible is staunchly Calvinist. Sad, because the study Bible they did was outstanding for content, but dripped Calvinist theology. It is also based on the ASV root texts. I prefer Vulgate or KJV based Bibles.
Old Jul 23, '17, 12:03 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbroseSJ View Post
I find that very interesting, seeing as how the first editions of the Knox Bible didn't come out until after the war! I wonder if the leather bound ones are custom bound, or if they were issued that way from the publisher?

You are right about the British Bibles though. I think the British reader expects a higher caliber of production than the US reader. I think this has always been true, going back to Colonial times. Plus, the book arts are just highly developed in England, whereas in the US we strive to equal their quality but always with an eye toward lowest possible cost. But that's just my opinion, for what it's worth. IOW, in England, a sumptuous Bible will be produced and actually sell out, whereas in the US, it will be admired, but considered too expensive, and thus languish. For example, in 1825 the first and only grand folio Catholic Bible was printed in Philadelphia. It was very costly, and its quality was very close to the London edition of 1811-14. However it languished in the warehouse till beyond the 1870's!!
Whoa! Ambrose, your collection looks amazing! I didn't see that list on page one till just now. So that one from the sixteen hundreds labelled "D/R" is a Douay-Rheims? Which I guess by definition means is in English? Gosh, I would love to have a Bible that old! Any chance you could post a photo of it? It's okay if you're not set up for posting original photos online. I'm not, personally, or I'd post photos of the New Testaments I mentioned. And I guess you were referring to the complete Old and New Testament Knox translation as being postwar? Because I have a few of them on my lap as I type, and the oldest one I have is published by Sheed & Ward, and has "New York, February 10, 1944" written on the copyright page. I'm fairly certain this is the first American edition, and it's actually my favorite of them all. It has plain, stark black cloth boards with a nice texture, and "The New Testament in English ♦︎ Msgr. R.A. Knox" and "Sheed & Ward" in gilt letters on the spine. Mine doesn't have a dustjacket, but I would guess that it probably came with one. But I like that it's so plain and nondescript looking, and it has a nice sturdy feel to it, being a bit heavier than one would expect owing to the wonderful paper it's printed on. There's no bleed-through at all, and it's really easy on my eyes to read. Plus, it's all in a single column format, which I very much prefer. So at least the American edition of the New Testament came out during the war. The leather one though, which I also have in front of me, is listed as December 1945, and it was published in London by Burns, Oates and Washbourne, Ltd "Publishers to the Holy See". So that one came out a few months after the war ended. And it certainly looks to me like it came from the publisher leather bound, because it's in fantastic shape, as though someone bought it and then just stuck it on a shelf. The leather's black and so are the endpapers, and it all matches the traces of fabric that are visible at the edge of the spine. Sorry, I don't know the actual name for that part of the book that's fabric in between the paper and the spine itself, but it's all too perfect to be custom made I think. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I just have the sense that it was issued that way. It's about the size of a standard mass market paperback, the type you would see at the end of a grocery store checkout lane, standard genre fiction size. The complete Knox Bible I have is the one published by Baronius, with a black hardcover. I like it a lot, but if they ever come out with the exact same Bible in that flexible burgundy cover their Douay-Rheims are offered in, I think I might pick up a copy. I'm guessing Baronius probably hears stuff like that all the time, so I won't bug them. I'll just wait and see if it ever happens.
Old Jul 23, '17, 3:30 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Child
The complete Knox Bible I have is the one published by Baronius, with a black hardcover. I like it a lot,
I have that one too! I forgot to list it with my others. It's the leather cover one. I also have the 1944 US NT Knox. I was thinking of the London publisher being the postwar one. It was interesting to learn that there was a publisher's leather cover version in 1945. If you go to my profile page, I have an album posted of some of my bibles including the Cousturier one from 1632-35 This was the the 2nd complete printing of the D/R with added engraved plates and surprisingly the last printing until Challoner published his revised D/R Bible in 1750 more than a century later! I am not including NT printings, as they sporadically appeared in 1600, 1621, 1716, and 1738.

“Reflect, Gentlemen, how many disputes you must have listened to, which were interminable, because neither party understood either his opponent or himself” --John Henry Newman
Old Jul 23, '17, 12:29 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Struggling Catholic

The only translation I use really is the King James Version, and the Coverdale Psalter for the Psalms. I also posses a Good News Bible given to me as a child by the Evangelical church I then attended but while it has sentimental value I would be unlikely to refer to it. I also have an NIV somewhere which was my grandmothers.
Numbers 6:24-26

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture