Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 am
Trial Membership

Default Re: Meet and Greet # 123

I am just stopping by to say hello. I have more of an introduction, with questions, that I will post elsewhere.
Old Yesterday, 1:33 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: converting to Catholicism

Hello all!

I'm a new member of the forum as of today. I have been lurking for several weeks now and have greatly enjoyed reading your posts.

I am currently seeking conversion to the Catholic faith after years of not participating in any faith at all. As I heard the voice calling to me grow stronger I thought back over the last 25 years and could see how I was attracted to the Church but i was not conscious of it at the time.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Marsha N
Old Yesterday, 3:18 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Traditional Jewish

Dear Marsha,

I'm a new member as well, but I'm here to learn about Catholicism (Latin Church), so that I can better understand how it developed out of my Faith, normative (Orthodox) Judaism.
There are many things about the Catholic Church which I find facinating, because I can't understand how they developed from late Second Temple Period Pharisaic Judaism.
Such as relics, and statues, etc.

Good luck to you in your search for G-D. While it is not my path to G-D, I can see that the Catholic Church could be your path to HIM. Both Judaism and the Catholic Church stress
good works as well as faith, as ways to grow closer to The Almighty.
G-D Bless,
Joey
Old Yesterday, 3:51 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic/OFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunclodySenator View Post
Dear Marsha,

I'm a new member as well, but I'm here to learn about Catholicism (Latin Church), so that I can better understand how it developed out of my Faith, normative (Orthodox) Judaism.
There are many things about the Catholic Church which I find facinating, because I can't understand how they developed from late Second Temple Period Pharisaic Judaism.
Such as relics, and statues, etc.

Good luck to you in your search for G-D. While it is not my path to G-D, I can see that the Catholic Church could be your path to HIM. Both Judaism and the Catholic Church stress
good works as well as faith, as ways to grow closer to The Almighty.
G-D Bless,
Joey
Welcome again Joey.
Please see your greeting in your prior post.
Make yourself at home.
Glad to have you here with us.
Enjoy the forums & resources.
There's much to learn & share here.
We are all here to help each other grow in faith.
You may wanted to check out the forum; Traditional Catholicism on the Home Page.
Looking forward to your participation.
Please be advised that this is the Meet & Greet area of CAF only. It's where the Greeters meet the Newbies. Questions/comments posted to/from members usually go unanswered. We try to discourage it's use as a discussion forum. All the action takes place in the forums.
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
God bless.

Last edited by tawny; Yesterday at 4:07 pm.
Old Yesterday, 3:55 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martian1 View Post
Hello all!

I'm a new member of the forum as of today. I have been lurking for several weeks now and have greatly enjoyed reading your posts.

I am currently seeking conversion to the Catholic faith after years of not participating in any faith at all. As I heard the voice calling to me grow stronger I thought back over the last 25 years and could see how I was attracted to the Church but i was not conscious of it at the time.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Marsha N
Welcome home & to CAF Marsha.
Be at home.
We're glad to have you here with us.
Enjoy the forums & resources.
Join in & grow in faith.
You may want to check out the forums; Traditional Catholicism & Liturgy & Sacraments on the Home Page. These sub-forums will help familiarize you with the Catholic faith.
You may also want to speak with a Priest about RCIA.
God bless.
Old Yesterday, 3:57 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheoGator View Post
I am just stopping by to say hello. I have more of an introduction, with questions, that I will post elsewhere.
Welcome ArcheoGator.
Be at home.
Glad you're here with us.
Enjoy all that the site has to offer.
Lots to learn & share.
Come along on the journey of faith.
God bless.
Old Yesterday, 4:00 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls5031 View Post
Hi,

I am a convert of 17 years. Becoming Catholic has changed my life in a very good way.

I come up with situations that I would like answers. Where can I ask my questions on this website?

Thanks
Welcome pls5031.
Be at home.
Glad to have you here.
Enjoy the site.
Looking forward to your participation.
Join in & grow in faith.
God bless.
Old Yesterday, 4:04 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunclodySenator View Post
Hi, Shabbat Shalom from Jerusalem Israel!
Which reminds me - I have to be quick because Sabbath is starting in a few minutes.

I'm a Traditional Jew, living in Jerusalem since 1973, and am interested in learning about the Roman Catholic Church and about Christianity, and how you guys developed from us. ;-)

I have studied Christianity since my early teens, growing up in Toronto Canada, my birthplace (I was 60 on Shushan Purim, Mon. 13.Mar. this year; but my civil birthday is 17.Mar.),and am a licenced tour guide in Israel (though I only guide friends and family, and only for free [I want to keep my amateur status!]), so I've studied the different streams or denominations.

My summers are spent on my modest estate in County Wexford, Ireland (it gets hot in Israel during the summer!). The then Latin (Roman Catholic? In Israel, we tend to refer to RC as the Latin Church, since the Arabic term 'Rum Ortodox' [Greek Orthodox] and 'Rum Katolik' [Greek Catholic] sound too close) PP, Fr. Jones [z"l], and the then Church of Ireland Rector, Nigel Waugh, got me elected to the reconstituted [in 1998] County Wexford Senate, representing our area [Bunclody], as the only Jew and the only Israeli in the County.

Canon Aidan G. Jones z"l (Zichrono LeVracha; May his memory be blessed) was my dearest friend in Ireland, and among my 3 closest friends, world-wide (I have a minor case of Asperger's, and tend to list things. But it does help with my collecting [Chinese Snuff Bottles; Antiquities {Nabataean pottery and coins; Ancient glass from Pre-blown to Islamic; Pottery oil lamps, from Second Temple (I guess for you guys, time of Jesus), Talmudic, and Islamic periods}; Second Temple period cooking pots; etc.}; Japanese Taisho (Art Deco) objects; Judaica; etc. etc.] ).

I actually first accessed this site to learn if Maronite Christians follow the Latin Liturgical Calendar or the Orthodox (Greek, etc.) Liturgical Calendar, but it seemed interesting, so here I am. I've still not figured out whether they follow you or the Greeks, re.calendar.

Best wishes to all, and sorry if I've gone on too long.
Welcome BunclodySenator.
Make yourself at home.
Glad to have you with us.
Enjoy the various forums & resources.
We're all here to help each other grow in faith.
God bless.
Old Today, 10:28 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Smile Re: Meet and Greet # 123

Good afternoon to all. My name is Terry and I am new to Catholic Answers. I hope everyone is having a nice day.
Old Today, 10:39 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Question Re: Meet and Greet # 123

Today, I attended a Women's Morning of Reflection and the topic concerned Fatima (the apparitions and secrets). I was excited about going but the priest was so ignorant and I am finding it hard to accept. I always treat this priest with respect and he acts like he does not like me. I have always thought it was ignorant but today really made me mad. I wish I said something. I think I would have felt better. I cannot keep taking him talking down to me and he has a big mouth, very loud about it!

Today, after mass, we went over to hall for breakfast. The priest was right in front of me. There were two ways you could get food but he was on the side that had stuff I wanted so I was waiting for him. He says to me, "Terry, come on; hurry up . . . there are people behind you who want to get something to eat!" Like I said, he was loud. I found this to be so ignorant. He always talks to me like that. I hear him talk to some people nice. When I turned around and looked, people were sliding chairs in and no one was even behind me. I do not understand why he felt the need to talk to me like that. I am 51 years old and am very considerate of others. At the end of the line, when there were people trying to get food, he was the one talking and everyone was waiting on him! I felt like saying, "Father keep moving; people are hungry and trying to get food?" I did not say it. I sort of wish I did.

What do you all think? It is really bothering me because he always talks down to me. I have never had a priest be that ignorant. Some people have left our church because they do not like his character and the way he talks to them. They think he does not like them. It sort of sets a bad atmosphere for the faith. There are a few he is really nice to.

Thanks for your support my fellow brothers and sisters.

Terry
Old Today, 1:18 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tldonahue View Post
Good afternoon to all. My name is Terry and I am new to Catholic Answers. I hope everyone is having a nice day.
Welcome Terry.
Be at home.
Glad to have you here with us.
Enjoy all that the site has to offer.
There's much to learn & share.
Come along on the journey of faith.
God bless.
Old Today, 1:23 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tldonahue View Post
Today, I attended a Women's Morning of Reflection and the topic concerned Fatima (the apparitions and secrets). I was excited about going but the priest was so ignorant and I am finding it hard to accept. I always treat this priest with respect and he acts like he does not like me. I have always thought it was ignorant but today really made me mad. I wish I said something. I think I would have felt better. I cannot keep taking him talking down to me and he has a big mouth, very loud about it!

Today, after mass, we went over to hall for breakfast. The priest was right in front of me. There were two ways you could get food but he was on the side that had stuff I wanted so I was waiting for him. He says to me, "Terry, come on; hurry up . . . there are people behind you who want to get something to eat!" Like I said, he was loud. I found this to be so ignorant. He always talks to me like that. I hear him talk to some people nice. When I turned around and looked, people were sliding chairs in and no one was even behind me. I do not understand why he felt the need to talk to me like that. I am 51 years old and am very considerate of others. At the end of the line, when there were people trying to get food, he was the one talking and everyone was waiting on him! I felt like saying, "Father keep moving; people are hungry and trying to get food?" I did not say it. I sort of wish I did.

What do you all think? It is really bothering me because he always talks down to me. I have never had a priest be that ignorant. Some people have left our church because they do not like his character and the way he talks to them. They think he does not like them. It sort of sets a bad atmosphere for the faith. There are a few he is really nice to.

Thanks for your support my fellow brothers and sisters.

Terry
Hi again Terry.
Please see your greeting in your prior post. Please be advised that this is the Meet & Greet area of CAF only. It's where the Greeters meet the Newbies. Questions/comments posted to/from members usually go unanswered. We try to discourage it's use as a discussion forum. All the action takes place in the forums. Feel free to post your question/comment in the Back Fence forum on the Home Page. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. God bless.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence